ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Octoberfest Beer

Whatcha got? I am presently enjoying Sierra Nevada's Octoberfest. Apparently a collaboration with a German craft brewery. Have a favorite? Go cocks- Steve
Sierra Nevada is a solid brewery. I'm never going to get super excited about them, but everything they put out is, well, very solid and drinkable. I have not had their Oktoberfest. Spaten makes a good one. I'm kind of picky about Marzen beers, because they can tend to be on the malty side which is not to my liking and also modern twists will often have some spice flavors which is also not to my liking; however, I can enjoy a good one. I'll look for the Sierras in the store tomorrow. That would be a good beer for my campout on Sat.

Currently drinking a NoDa Hop Drop 'N Roll, so vastly different than the subject of this thread. Very good though.

Leinenkugel Octoberfest

OKT_bottlePour.png

Last edited:
Reactions: coolcock2001
Sierra Nevada is a solid brewery. I'm never going to get super excited about them, but everything they put out is, well, very solid and drinkable. I have not had their Oktoberfest. Spaten makes a good one. I'm kind of picky about Marzen beers, because they can tend to be on the malty side which is not to my liking and also modern twists will often have some spice flavors which is also not to my liking; however, I can enjoy a good one. I'll look for the Sierras in the store tomorrow. That would be a good beer for my campout on Sat.

Currently drinking a NoDa Hop Drop 'N Roll, so vastly different than the subject of this thread. Very good though.
I absolutely hate spice beers. My 2 favorite styles happen to be complete opposites. I love IPAs for the hops and I love Stouts for their body, texture, and flavor.

Reactions: cockycurran
I absolutely hate spice beers. My 2 favorite styles happen to be complete opposites. I love IPAs for the hops and I love Stouts for their body, texture, and flavor.
I like just about everything except super malty, super sweet or super unnaturally flavored. Sours, saisons, stouts, IPAs, pilsners, dark lagers, porters etc. bring it on. You are right about stouts. There is probably nothing better than a well crafted stout. The problem is there are a lot of bad ones out there. Guinness is the perfect beer.

Harvest Time a brew by Big Boss brewery in Raleigh. Not overly spiced. A really good beer.

Sierra Nevada's Octoberfest is outstanding this year IMO. It's light in color and not real malty so i was a bit surprised by it. I'm with you on that Sulayman -I'm weird about Marzan's too because I don't like too much malt.

Southern Tier Warlock Imperial Stout is good too IMO. It packs a decent punch at 8.6% abv and it has some pumpkin spice type flavors. Yeah, I'm with you on craft beers getting ridiculous at times and this sounds like something i would hate, but to me this one actually works - well balanced, not like it's just a 'flavored' beer.

Reactions: Sulayman
I completely agree with you except, anytime I say "I hate <insert type of beer> beer" someone ends up proving me wrong.
To me, that’s one of the great things about the craft beer revolution. Everywhere you go you get to see what the local artisans are doing in that particular place, and you know that a lot of soul went into it. So much to try. Food is starting to go that way here in America, too. I love it.

Stella Artois Noire! Unfortunately it is only available in Argentina in the Western Hemisphere.

Didn't know about that place. I'll have to check it out next time I'm down in Cola.
They don't have a brick and mortar location...they brew in various places and you can only get the beer at events they bring it to. Definitely check them out though because they make really good authentic German style beer.

Reactions: gamecockfan04
I will second the votes for Sierra Nevada, Leinenkugel, Old Mecklenburg and Highland. Sam Adams is also good/tried and true. A warning on the Sierra Nevada one, it is hoppier than usual for an Oktoberfest. But that makes sense given a lot of the beers they do are pretty hoppy.

Sierra Nevada is a solid brewery. I'm never going to get super excited about them, but everything they put out is, well, very solid and drinkable.
What??? They are my absolute favorite brewery. They are known for hops but their range is ridiculous. So many good beers. I recommend checking out their brewery near Asheville to anyone; it's amazing.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
I will second the votes for Sierra Nevada, Leinenkugel, Old Mecklenburg and Highland. Sam Adams is also good/tried and true. A warning on the Sierra Nevada one, it is hoppier than usual for an Oktoberfest. But that makes sense given a lot of the beers they do are pretty hoppy.

What??? They are my absolute favorite brewery. They are known for hops but their range is ridiculous. So many good beers. I recommend checking out their brewery near Asheville to anyone; it's amazing.
Oh, I have drank thousands of their beers in my day, probably. They are good. I'm just saying that they are so ubiquitous that it's just always an option everywhere. I'm not going to walk into a store and say, "awesome, they have Sierra Nevada!" That's all I meant. I probably pick up a six pack of something of theirs once a month.

Reactions: coolcock2001
Oh, I have drank thousands of their beers in my day, probably. They are good. I'm just saying that they are so ubiquitous that it's just always an option everywhere. I'm not going to walk into a store and say, "awesome, they have Sierra Nevada!" That's all I meant. I probably pick up a six pack of something of theirs once a month.
If you like hops, look for their Celebration Ale in stores starting in a week or two. It's always out around the holidays and is my favorite one they do

celebration-ale-featured.jpg

If you like hops, look for their Celebration Ale in stores starting in a week or two. It's always out around the holidays and is my favorite one they do

celebration-ale-featured.jpg
Yeah, I like that one. I always look forward to Anchor Steam's Christmas seasonal. I love their Liberty Ale, by the way. It's getting harder and harder to find for some reason.

I just picked up a 12 pack of the Sierra Octoberfest. Looking forward to downing a few while I get ready for some camping this evening.

Yeah, I like that one. I always look forward to Anchor Steam's Christmas seasonal. I love their Liberty Ale, by the way. It's getting harder and harder to find for some reason.

I just picked up a 12 pack of the Sierra Octoberfest. Looking forward to downing a few while I get ready for some camping this evening.
Where ya camping?

Where ya camping?
Going to a campout is more accurate. A bunch of buddies are helping some friends christen their new place up outside of Hendersonville, NC. Everyone will be sleeping outside, and there will be a big fire but also a house with indoor plumbing, etc.

Reactions: stevestrat2
Going to a campout is more accurate. A bunch of buddies are helping some friends christen their new place up outside of Hendersonville, NC. Everyone will be sleeping outside, and there will be a big fire but also a house with indoor plumbing, etc.
Millennial hippies.

Newcastle dark ale. Dos Equis amber close second. I only drink beer once or twice a year but these are my favorites,

Whatcha got? I am presently enjoying Sierra Nevada's Octoberfest. Apparently a collaboration with a German craft brewery. Have a favorite? Go cocks- Steve
I’m back and forth between Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada. But for tailgating, I stick with Sierra Nevada. I don’t take the orange Sam Adams bottle to USC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT