ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official US Open Thread

cockn'fyr

Mar 26, 2006
Anybody ever putted these Poa greens, they look pretty nasty! Go DJ

Man Butch Harmon has to have one of the best jobs in the world, just working with all these guys has to keep him young, flying all over the place just watching golf swings and you know he's making some change!

I thought poa is a grass you try to get rid of when it gets into a green. Am I wrong?
Yeah it is, but that's what they're putting on Po Annua, google it and says grass and weed and how to get rid of it! Still, looks pretty gnarly!

Tiger will never win another PGA tourney.

Kornblut was saying Tiger probably wouldn’t catch Jack yesterday.

Phil is a moron. Of course he isn’t catching him! He won’t win another major that’s for sure. Mental advantage over the field is long gone and that bodies aging fast.

What do you guys think of Fox's coverage?

I want to punch Joe Buck in his smug little face. 'Zinger is fine. Tough day for DJ sets up a logjam of players at the top for tomorrow. Should be interesting to see what the USGA does with the setup tomorrow. Given their recent penchant for idiocy, could be another massacre. Winning score higher than the cut?

I want to punch Joe Buck in his smug little face. 'Zinger is fine. Tough day for DJ sets up a logjam of players at the top for tomorrow. Should be interesting to see what the USGA does with the setup tomorrow. Given their recent penchant for idiocy, could be another massacre. Winning score higher than the cut?
Have to agree! Funny they made a big deal about all the new technology and that what happened at an earlier US Open at Shinnecock Hills would never happen again. Such a stink about how they missed again on the setup, along with Chambers Bay, someone could lose their job!

Reactions: Vincent Hanna
Have to agree! Funny they made a big deal about all the new technology and that what happened at an earlier US Open at Shinnecock Hills would never happen again. Such a stink about how they missed again on the setup, along with Chambers Bay, someone could lose their job!
I don’t know if they necessarily missed the setup. Shinnecock is an all-time great course. They just royally screwed the greens and pin locations on several holes. They immediately started watering greens after the round yesterday, and I suspect they offer some much easier pin placements on the final round.

That said, I couldn’t imagine playing that course right now. It wouldn’t even be fun! I played Sawgrass a few years ago just before the Players, and every single shot was stressful. The course just kept coming at you. Hard to find a lot of fun playing a course that won’t let you play well.

Reactions: Vincent Hanna
You must not have ever seen John Daly play.

The difference is, Daly had the balls to own up to it. Phil doesn't.
Daly got suspended for his comments afterward...not doing the same thing Phil did. I doubt Phil is that stupid.

But when players coming off the course are saying the course is gone....whoever is in charge of the course screwed up big time. And those comments were being made before DJ even teed off.

I don't ever remember seeing something in golf like Phil did yesterday.

Haha I did the exact thing Phil did at Camden CC on a windy day in April this year. Twice. Anyone who's played golf before has certainly been in that situation, and right or wrong (I'm of the opinion he should be DQ'ed) Phil has only added to his "everyman" persona.

Phil looked like he was on a practice green just knocking the ball around before a round. I think saying he planned the 2 stroke penalty to get a better overall score is a lot worse (and more worthy of a DQ) than just saying, holy sh%t, what did I just do? It was just a reflex.

Tiger will never win another PGA tourney.

Can I make a bet with you? He's pretty darn close to winning one already, so I don't know where you make this assumption - unless you haven't watched much golf lately.

Win one sure a major about 1% chance or lower (I say no more majors personally due the quality of the other 100 players in the field). If he stays Healthy Pebble Beach next year gives him an outsider chance.

Win one sure a major about 1% chance or lower (I say no more majors personally due the quality of the other 100 players in the field). If he stays Healthy Pebble Beach next year gives him an outsider chance.
I’m sort of there with you, although I think his major chances are higher - especially at PB or at the Masters

I’m sort of there with you, although I think his major chances are higher - especially at PB or at the Masters
Lost the intimidation factor years ago though. Guys aren't going to freeze cause theyre plaing against Tiger anymore. Still has talent but it's going to be hard to beat the younger talent.

It's obvious they didn't factor in the wind and they didn't water to compensate, so IMO they missed the setup, the morning guys played a totally different course than the afternoon guys, I guarantee the USGA did not want that! If I remember correctly when Daly did that he quit, Phil was just trying to stop the bleeding, but IMO he should have been DQ'd! I find it funny he explained his intent after the round, like he knew what he was doing, then he called the USGA CEO to get an exact explaination, that does look a little sketchy to me, I agree the caddie had an effect, just the way Phil jumped so quick looked like he was enticed!

Today looks too easy though. Again - everything is relative because all players get the same conditions. But they overcompensated today. You can't go from bogeys on every hole to birdies. The US Open is supposed to be hard - just not impossible.

I don't ever remember seeing something in golf like Phil did yesterday.
Many years ago John Daly missed a short putt and rather than tapping it in he swatted it off the green. I don't remember if he hit it while it was moving.

They had to play it safe and make it easier after yesterday. It wouldn’t have been good for the tournament to have the winner finish before the leaders tee off. Not to mention just to be fair in allowing everyone to play similar course regardless of it being drier in the afternoon from the wind / lack of water.

Mike Davis is a moron and should’ve already been fired 3 years ago.

Many years ago John Daly missed a short putt and rather than tapping it in he swatted it off the green. I don't remember if he hit it while it was moving.

At Pinehurst. Many golfers do these things or something similar...it’s just not as big a deal as when Phil or Daly did it. I really believe Phil is smart enough to take advantage of a poorly written rule. Watch his two-part interview with Feherty to see how big of a nerd he is about the game. The fact he took off running after the ball tells me he knew exactly what he was doing. Within the rules? Yes? Within the spirit of the rule? No. I imagine that rule will be re-written this year. Personally I think what he did should be grounds for disqualification. I’d say Phil even thinks that, but he noticed the rules actually allow for it so he finally did it.

They had to play it safe and make it easier after yesterday. It wouldn’t have been good for the tournament to have the winner finish before the leaders tee off. Not to mention just to be fair in allowing everyone to play similar course regardless of it being drier in the afternoon from the wind / lack of water.

Mike Davis is a moron and should’ve already been fired 3 years ago.
It may not matter. The scenario you mention could still happen. Watch for Kyle Fleetwood to post a record round and watch the leaders falter when the winds pick up...

Reactions: Carolina4
From one day of can't find a par to Reed and Fleetwood who just pulls the club back and birdie. It is too much and course over compensation.

Reactions: Sending an SOS
The leaders are on #6 now. Fleetwood still has two holes to play. Yesterday a Finau and Berger were finished before final pairing tee’d off. That’s what I meant.

But yes, Fleetwood has a chance to post a tough score to beat. If this was yesterday, you could go ahead and give him the trophy. Final 5 twosomes were a combined +67.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT