ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official US Open Thread

I think the USGA totally butchered this tournament. Shinnecock is a great course, and they totally screwed up rounds 1 and 3. And then they totally overcompensated today. If the wind starts blowing this afternoon, they will screw the leaders yet again - and possibly by more than the other rounds.

You can't create an impossible course. And you can't totally over compensate either. Bad moves...

The USGA has butchered every US Open since Mike Davis has been around. You are correct. Especially Round 3...

I’m ok with Fleetwood’s 63. It was -7, not -9 and the course is still playing tough. Reed making a charge as well. Johnny Miller won the US Open with a 63 so these things happen. I prefer to see the course difficult but give chances to the players to go out and win the tournament. The way it was setup yesterday, it was more of who didn’t blow it would win.

No doubt they overcompensated. Hate it but I get it. They couldn’t risk what happened yesterday . Course will dry out a little more...but those pins are fair today.

Truthfully, the fans just want a great tournament. I just fell asleep and missed like 5 holes. It's boring. No one is playing well, but no one is playing great. At least make the golf compelling. It's pretty boring to tell you the truth. I'd rather have impossible than boring par golf.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Truthfully, the fans just want a great tournament. I just fell asleep and missed like 5 holes. It's boring. No one is playing well, but no one is playing great. At least make the golf compelling. It's pretty boring to tell you the truth. I'd rather have impossible than boring par golf.
Yeah, pretty much everyone is trying to hold on for dear life. Fleetwood may win it and he's been in the clubhouse for hours. Keopka is a smooth player though. I think it's either him or Fleetwood. Here comes Reed again though. That guy can catch fire quick.

Last edited:
Yeah, pretty much everyone is trying to hold on for dear life. Fleetwood may win it and he's been in the clubhouse for hours. Keopka is a smooth player though. I think it's either him or Fleetwood. Here comes Reed again though. That guy can catch fire quick.
Totally agree. I'm not a fan of European golfers or mullets, so I'll pull for Keopka who beats the pants off of one of my employees in HS.

Another major tournament, another Dustin disappearance. At this point, fair play to Koepka. Mr. Steady. We need more of his breed for our Ryder Cup squad.

Impressive win for Koepka. Dude is powerful, finesse, and cool as a cucumber. You don't back your way in to B2B US Open wins. He's now a star...

Another major tournament, another Dustin disappearance. At this point, fair play to Koepka. Mr. Steady. We need more of his breed for our Ryder Cup squad.

Johnson’s putter just doesn’t work well enough. He should have 4-5 majors by now.
Just shows you must have the total game. I love it because there are several ways to get I done. Fleetwood isn’t exactly the same physique as DJ or Finau, etc...

Johnson’s putter just doesn’t work well enough. He should have 4-5 majors by now.
Just shows you must have the total game. I love it because there are several ways to get I done. Fleetwood isn’t exactly the same physique as DJ or Finau, etc...
That's true in regards to having the "total game". Back in my day (51 now), that's the way it was, and that's the still the case. That's what makes golf so special!

Reactions: Judson1
Anybody ever putted these Poa greens, they look pretty nasty! Go DJ

Man Butch Harmon has to have one of the best jobs in the world, just working with all these guys has to keep him young, flying all over the place just watching golf swings and you know he's making some change!
I've putted on it. Poa is something we try to eliminate when it invades greens down South. It's considered a nuisance grass. Up north and out west, they just let it take over. Very bumpy late in the day, and moves the ball sideways also.

Koepka validated himself, and coming off a wrist injury at that. Erin Hills is one thing, but not many people would have picked him to win at Shinnecock.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Bad Display by USGA.. This torunament wasnt about the Golfers. it was about the Course and the Set Up... I like Koepka, Glad he won, was pulling for DJ of course, But definitely did NOT Want Fleetwood as champ.. After Fleetwood Posted, I thought he probably would win... Koepka mad some CRAZY GOOD "up and downs", one for bogie that I am not sure he could do again in 10 tries..

Fleetwood made several putts

Fleetwood made several putts
Saturday was not even fair for the leaders... There were two different courses Saturday, DJ should have been able to maintain his advantage Saturday, the USGA made that impossible that afternoon, that morning was "Getable", Saturday afternoon was Carnage.

I've never seen two guys tee off at 10:00 AM on Saturday end up in the final group on Sunday. This was like a massive wreck in a Nascar event.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT