ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Our New York City Report.

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
First of all I want to thank all of you that gave suggestions about things to do and places to eat. While, my wife and I didn't have time to do all of them we did and saw all of the suggestions we possibly could do and see. Again, thanks a million.

Things we did and places we ate.

1. We visited the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island a day after the protesters. I have a picture of me pretending to climb the outside of the Statue of Liberty.

2. We went to the Top of the Rock. We had our picture taken pretending to be sitting on the I-beam of the original picture taken back in the 30s. My wife is pretending to be pushing me off the beam.

3. We went to the 9/11 Memorial and it was very moving. I guess the thing that lingers with me now and I still can't get my mind off of it are the pictures of the victims that lost their lives that day.

4. We also visited St. Paul's Church across from the 9/11 Memorial. That was most inspiring as well.

5. We visited St. Patrick's Cathedral, it was the most elaborate House of God I have ever visited in my life and well worth the time to me anyway.

6. Visited the Freedom Tower and rode the elevator to the 103th floor. The elevator purportedly took 47 seconds from the 1st floor to the 103th floor. While I didn't time how long the elevator took to actually reach the top floor I certainly would not dispute that claim.

7. Took a tour of the Empire State Building all the way to the top. I only did this because I had seem pictures of the Empire State Building in movies and magazines all my life and have always wanted to go all the way to the top. At the ESB it costs something like $36 to go to the 86th floor and another $26 to go to the very top. The view at the top was good but it took much longer and was more expensive and more crowded that the Freedom Tower.

8. Visited the old Grand Central Station. All it is now is a bunch of fast food places and shops but it was still fun to visit from a historical standpoint. Again, it was fun for me and my wife because we had seen it in movies, etc ever since we were kids. And I can remember people saying things like, if we get a TV this house will be like Grand Central Station or if we get whatever it will be like Grand Central Station around here. LOL!

9. We really enjoyed Little Italy. It was fun just walking about LI and exploring the various shops, etc. We ate at a restaurant there and I can't remember the exact name but it started with a P. I ate the 2nd best lasagna there I have ever eaten in my life.

10. We ate at the Hard Rock Café in Times Square. I had the baby back ribs and they were good but the music there was just too loud for the older crowd. LOL

11. This was one of the most fun things we did. We were in China Town and my wife and this young man's mother wanted to do some shopping. This part is kind of strange, this young man that I met on the trip was only 23 and was a school teacher and he wanted very much to visit Queens and see the house where Archie Bunker lived in the TV series All in the Family. Apparently, he had just started watching re-runs of the show. He had the address of the house; 89-70 Cooper Ave, Queens, NY. So, we took a subway to Queens, we didn't know where to catch the subway and had to ask a lot of different people what train to catch and how to transfer, etc. And everyone was very nice but we got different answers from everyone we asked. Anyway, we finally figured out what train to catch and once we boarded the train we had to start asking people how to transfer and what train to transfer to. Again, everyone was very nice and tried to be very helpful. Finally, this man clicked the app for the Subway Trains and we figured out how to transfer and what train to take. I didn't have a cell phone with me and I can't remember if my friend did or not. Actually, we needed to transfer to a bus once we got to Queens but we just took a cab to Archie's old house instead. The house was actually two houses and looked the same way it did in the TV series but in the TV series it looked like there was house after house for blocks in the Opening Scene but actually there was only about one block of houses today and there were a lot of large four lane streets and open land spaces around the block of houses there today. I know this section is long but it was a fun experience so please don't fuss at me because I though a lot of the old guys on the board who remembered the show might enjoy the part about Archie's house.

12. We went to a Broadway Play, "Hello Dolly" starring Bernadette Peters and the show was fantastic. It was in an old theater build in 1919 and once inside one could tell it was from a different time period once you saw the ornate decorations of the theater.

13. On July 4th we went to the East River to see the fireworks but it was so hot we turned around and walked part of the way back to the hotel and gave out of energy and caught a cab the rest of the way.

14. We visited Trump Tower and had lunch in the lobby. Actually, the lunch was good and was reasonably priced for NYC.

15. As we were leaving Trump Tower we stopped in Tiffany's and my wife saw a beautiful gold chain necklace which was only $14,000 and some change. So I told her to go ahead and buy it. If you believe that I have some ocean front property in my backyard here in Marion, NC. Seriously, I would expect to give something like $800-$1000 tops in this area are even on QVC.

16. Someone on the board suggest that we eat a slice of junior's cheesecake. We did and it was without a doubt the best cheesecake I have ever eaten and I have eaten a lot of cheesecake.

17. We took a tour of Radio City Music Hall. It was very interesting the way things operated behind the scenes. While we did not see a show there, we did get to meet a Rockette. She explained a lot about what the Rockettes did in the show. She said, if I remember correctly, each girl performed 300 kicks during a show. She also said that the height requirements for being a Rockette was minimum of 5'6" and a maximum of 5'10" and the age requirement was at least 18 and the maximum age limit was 38. She also said they worked six days a week practicing and performing during the season.

I don't know how many of you that live in the upstate remember this but 5-6 years ago (maybe longer) the Radio Music Hall Rockettes performed in Greenville at (what was then the BI-LO Center). My wife and I caught that performance and it was very very good. I asked the Rockette did they do traveling shows anymore and she said they didn't. So, I feel very fortunate to have seen the show in Greenville.

I can't remember too much more off the top of my head and I hope I didn't bore everyone but I just wanted to show my appreciation for all the suggestions I got from the members of GCC.

Thanks so much, we had a really great time.

Sincerely,
Freddie.B.Cocky

Last edited:
I travel there for work & sneak off to
Mason Jar
Bier Garten
Sea food market

I respect it, but Manhattan is the only place on earth I won’t drive in

I’ve driven in NYC and Boston and Boston is much worse. I commuted from NJ to go to school in Brooklyn Poly and sometimes went through Manhattan. The people in Boston acted like they had the right of way if they didn’t look your way.

I’ve driven in NYC and Boston and Boston is much worse. I commuted from NJ to go to school in Brooklyn Poly and sometimes went through Manhattan. The people in Boston acted like they had the right of way if they didn’t look your way.

Calgary was special, Boston I was ok, rest of NY, all of California. Manhattan is just off limits for me

San Francisco says hello

Was the Italian restaurant Puglias? Really good but some dishes are pretty spicy. Near Canal Street.

First of all I want to thank all of you that gave suggestions about things to do and places to eat. While, my wife and I didn't have time to do all of them we did and saw all of the suggestions we possibly could do and see. Again, thanks a million.

1. We visited the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island a day after the protesters. I have a picture of me pretending to climb the outside of the Statue of Liberty.

2. We went to the Top of the Rock. We had our picture taken pretending to be sitting on the I-beam of the original picture taken back in the 30s. My wife is pretending to be pushing me off the beam.

3. We went to the 9/11 Memorial and it was very moving. I guess the thing that lingers with me now and I still can't get my mind off of it are the pictures of the victims that lost their lives that day.

4. We also visited St. Paul's Church across from the 9/11 Memorial. That was most inspiring as well.

5. We visited St. Patrick's Cathedral, it was the most elaborate House of God I have ever visited in my life and well worth the time to me anyway.

6. Visited the Freedom Tower and rode the elevator to the 103th floor. The elevator purportedly took 47 seconds from the 1st floor to the 103th floor. While I didn't time how long the elevator took to actually reach the top floor I certainly would not dispute that claim.

7. Took a tour of the Empire State Building all the way to the top. I only did this because I had seem pictures of the Empire State Building in movies and magazines all my life and have always wanted to go all the way to the top. At the ESB it costs something like $36 to go to the 86th floor and another $26 to go to the very top. The view at the top was good but it took much longer and was more expensive and more crowded that the Freedom Tower.

8. Visited the old Grand Central Station. All it is now is a bunch of fast food places and shops but it was still fun to visit from a historical standpoint. Again, it was fun for me and my wife because we had seen it in movies, etc ever since we were kids. And I can remember people saying things like, if we get a TV this house will be like Grand Central Station or if we get whatever it will be like Grand Central Station around here. LOL!

9. We really enjoyed Little Italy. It was fun just walking about LI and exploring the various shops, etc. We ate at a restaurant there and I can't remember the exact name but it started with a P. I ate the 2nd best lasagna there I have ever eaten in my life.

10. We ate at the Hard Rock Café in Times Square. I had the baby back ribs and they were good but the music there was just too loud for the older crowd. LOL

11. This was one of the most fun things we did. We were in China Town and my wife and this young man's mother wanted to do some shopping. This part is kind of strange, this young man that I met on the trip was only 23 and was a school teacher and he wanted very much to visit Queens and see the house where Archie Bunker lived in the TV series All in the Family. Apparently, he had just started watching re-runs of the show. He had the address of the house; 89-70 Cooper Ave, Queens, NY. So, we took a subway to Queens, we didn't know where to catch the subway and had to ask a lot of different people what train to catch and how to transfer, etc. And everyone was very nice but we got different answers from everyone we asked. Anyway, we finally figured out what train to catch and once we boarded the train we had to start asking people how to transfer and what train to transfer to. Again, everyone was very nice and tried to be very helpful. Finally, this man clicked the app for the Subway Trains and we figured out how to transfer and what train to take. I didn't have a cell phone with me and I can't remember if my friend did or not. Actually, we needed to transfer to a bus once we got to Queens but we just took a cab to Archie's old house instead. The house was actually two houses and looked the same way it did in the TV series but in the TV series it looked like there was house after house for blocks in the Opening Scene but actually there was only about one block of houses today and there were a lot of large four lane streets and open land spaces around the block of houses there today. I know this section is long but it was a fun experience so please don't fuss at me because I though a lot of the old guys on the board who remembered the show might enjoy the part about Archie's house.

12. We went to a Broadway Play, "Hello Dolly" starring Bernadette Peters and the show was fantastic. It was in an old theater build in 1919 and once inside one could tell it was from a different time period once you saw the ornate decorations of the theater.

13. On July 4th we went to the East River to see the fireworks but it was so hot we turned around and walked part of the way back to the hotel and gave out of energy and caught a cab the rest of the way.

14. We visited Trump Tower and had lunch in the lobby. Actually, the lunch was good and was reasonably priced for NYC.

15. As we were leaving Trump Tower we stopped in Tiffany's and my wife saw a beautiful gold chain necklace which was only $14,000 and some change. So I told her to go ahead and buy it. If you believe that I have some ocean front property in my backyard here in Marion, NC. Seriously, I would expect to give some like $800-$1000 tops in this area are even on QVC.

16. Someone on the board suggest that we eat a slice of junior's cheesecake. We did and it was without a doubt the best cheesecake I have ever eaten and I have eaten a lot of cheesecake.

17. We took a tour of Radio City Music Hall. It was very interesting the way things operated behind the scenes. While we did not see a show there, we did get to meet a Rockette. She explained a lot about what the Rockettes did in the show. She said, if I remember correctly, each girl performed 300 kicks during a show. She also said that the height requirements for being a Rockette was minimum of 5'6" and a maximum of 5'10" and the age requirement was at least 18 and the maximum age limit was 38. She also said they worked six days a week practicing and performing during the season.

I don't know how many of you that live in the upstate remember this but 5-6 years ago (maybe longer) the Radio Music Hall Rockettes performed in Greenville at (what was then the BI-LO Center). My wife and I caught that performance and it was very very good. I asked the Rockette did they do traveling shows anymore and she said they didn't. So, I feel very fortunately to have seen the show in Greenville.

I can't remember too much more off the top of my head and I hope I didn't bore everyone but I just wanted to show my appreciation of all the suggestions I got from the members of GCC.

Sincerely,
Freddie.B.Cocky
Looks like you made the most of your time, which is about all you can hope for in NYC. I and my family checked some of those same boxes last spring, and some different ones, but things to do in NYC are inexhaustible.

Was the Italian restaurant Puglias? Really good but some dishes are pretty spicy. Near Canal Street.

I think that was the name of the restaurant. I don't remember what street it was near or even what street it was located. I just remember it was kind of in the middle of Little Italy.

Lived on Long Island for 5 years back in the 70's and went into the city a bunch. Loved every minute of it. unbelievable restaurants. Found Manhattan much easier to drive in than Boston. Big Yankee fan so made the trip to original Yankee stadium a lot as well. Great times!

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
To Freddie.Be.Cocky: I being a New York City resident chuckle every time I hear and read about out of town tourists’ reactions to visiting this city. Why? All these tourist traps are overcrowded, overhyped, overrated, and overpriced!!! Personally, I can’t wait to retire and move to a non urban environment for peace and tranquility. Having said this, I am extremely glad to hear that you and your wife had a wonderful time visiting NYC.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky

I have drove around Boston proper and it wasn't any different then most large cities with the exception of some of the more narrow streets in and around Beacon Hill and the North End. Never drove in NYC but some of the side streets in Manhattan are the most kidney jarring roads I've ever traveled on (by taxi)

Last edited:
To Freddie.Be.Cocky: I being a New York City resident chuckle every time I hear and read about out of town tourists’ reactions to visiting this city. Why? All these tourist traps are overcrowded, overhyped, overrated, and overpriced!!! Personally, I can’t wait to retire and move to a non urban environment for peace and tranquility. Having said this, I am extremely glad to hear that you and your wife had a wonderful time visiting NYC.

Going up in 2 weeks. Curious your take on what to do as a local.

Probably will do some of the tourist stuff just because my wife hasn’t been but would like to mix in some more living like a local activities as well.

I just asked my wife was the above name the restaurant we ate at in Little Italy and she said no. She couldn't remember the exact name but she said it was not Puglias.

You came to NYC and had ribs at the Hard Rock?? Wow.

There was nothing else on the menu that night that was appealing to me. We ate there right before we went to the Broadway Show, I think that was the night.

To Clarify: The restaurant we planned to eat at that night before the show had an hour and a half waiting period. So, we ate at the first place we could get into easily and not miss the show.

Last edited:
Reactions: lowcountry_cock13
Awesome Freddie! And you are welcome on the Junior's Cheese cake .

Thank you very much! I just remembered someone on the board recommended the junior's cheesecake and boy was it ever so good. We bought ours in the Theater District and I think they spelled it with a lower case j. Kind of funny.

15. As we were leaving Trump Tower we stopped in Tiffany's and my wife saw a beautiful gold chain necklace which was only $14,000 and some change. So I told her to go ahead and buy it. If you believe that I have some ocean front property in my backyard here in Marion, NC. Seriously, I would expect to give something like $800-$1000 tops in this area are even on QVC.

I don't know how many of you that live in the upstate remember this but 5-6 years ago (maybe longer) the Radio Music Hall Rockettes performed in Greenville at (what was then the BI-LO Center). My wife and I caught that performance and it was very very good. I asked the Rockette did they do traveling shows anymore and she said they didn't. So, I feel very fortunate to have seen the show in Greenville.

I can't remember too much more off the top of my head and I hope I didn't bore everyone but I just wanted to show my appreciation for all the suggestions I got from the members of GCC.

Sincerely,
Freddie.B.Cocky
u're a better man than me, i would have dragged my wife 2c the yankees or metropolitans

u're a better man than me, i would have dragged my wife 2c the yankees or metropolitans

As a life long Yankee fan ever since I can remember (but not so much anymore) I did want to see the Yankees play but long story short I didn't.

I love NYC and my wife and I plan to go there later this year, perhaps for Christmas. With respect to your notation on Grand Central Station, it is not all about fast food. In fact, one of our favorite restaurants is located there, that the being the Grand Central Station Oyster Bar. We usually have lunch there when we arrive; however, I have eaten dinner there once. Great food, great atmosphere, and waiters in white starched jackets. One of the dining rooms features old oak as the principal feature. It has been there since 1913, serving fresh seafood. I offer this as someone reading your report might really thing that only fast food is served at GCS and would otherwise miss one of the best restaurants. Sorry you missed Le Bernardin, that is an experience in its self, but a tough table to get.

I love NYC and my wife and I plan to go there later this year, perhaps for Christmas. With respect to your notation on Grand Central Station, it is not all about fast food. In fact, one of our favorite restaurants is located there, that the being the Grand Central Station Oyster Bar. We usually have lunch there when we arrive; however, I have eaten dinner there once. Great food, great atmosphere, and waiters in white starched jackets. One of the dining rooms features old oak as the principal feature. It has been there since 1913, serving fresh seafood. I offer this as someone reading your report might really thing that only fast food is served at GCS and would otherwise miss one of the best restaurants. Sorry you missed Le Bernardin, that is an experience in its self, but a tough table to get.

To be honest we were not in GCS very long. We were in there long enough to get something to eat and we had to wait a long time to get something from a fast food place inside of GCS. That was the night we were headed to the fireworks show which turned out to be a disaster for us. Had we know how things were going to workout we could have spent more time in GCS. The next time we go, maybe we will have to checkout a couple of other restaurants in GCS. I did want to spent more time there but as things worked out I didn't get to.

Reactions: cockgun
Going up in 2 weeks. Curious your take on what to do as a local.

Probably will do some of the tourist stuff just because my wife hasn’t been but would like to mix in some more living like a local activities as well.
Since you two are visiting NYC for the first time, I would suggest that you guys visit all the tourist attractions for the obvious reasons. As for local activities, frankly, there really isn't much to do in this big city. If you like rock music shows, then this city is the wrong choice because it has become a rock n roll cemetery. Furthermore, many of the neighborhoods resemble nothing like the America that we love and are crime infested too. When folks talk about visiting New York City, they are in fact referring only to the borough of Manhattan!

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Since you two are visiting NYC for the first time, I would suggest that you guys visit all the tourist attractions for the obvious reasons. As for local activities, frankly, there really isn't much to do in this big city. If you like rock music shows, then this city is the wrong choice because it has become a rock n roll cemetery. Furthermore, many of the neighborhoods resemble nothing like the America that we love and are crime infested too. When folks talk about visiting New York City, they are in fact referring only to the borough of Manhattan!
Well, we went to Coney Island on the first week the rides were running. The kids loved it. I agree with you to this extent: at least 90% of the appeal of NYC rests with Manhattan.

I don't I use Lyft & or Uber, or ride with a co worker that is based in long island, and or queens.
First time I was up there back in 02 or 03, it was suggested to me by a Jersey friend that I just ride the subway from LaGuardia to Manhattan, and once there either walk, take a cab or use the subway again. All those options work of course, but here's the thing, if you DON'T know Manhattan, then you're gonna struggle unless you just happen to know exactly where you're headed or only have one destination/address!!

Oddly, I haven't been back to New York state, much-less New York City, since then. Nothing bad to say about New York. Heck, everyone outta go there at least once in their life just to check it out IMHO.

On another note, I've been to Chicago three different times - neither time did I actually vacate O'Hare tweenxt the flights I was waiting on while there!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT