ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Per Travel Experts top choices this summer for vacations is camping. Video attached.

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002

Per the experts, camping reservations are up 39% over last year at National and State Parks. In fact, if you haven't made reservations for Memorial Weekend it may be too late.

Last edited:
My brother's condo at Cherry Grove Beach is fully booked for this summer. It has been for about a month. If you haven't made your vacation reservations, you may be too late. People are antsy to get out and do things again.

If by camping you mean a 5 star hotel with a room with large French doors that open up to a view of a lake surrounded by mountains, then yes, I'll go camping.

That's my kind of camping. I'm definitely a stay at a hotel kind of guy. But, I was just sharing what the rage is this year due to Covid.

Reactions: Dizzy01
I have never had any desire to do actual tent camping. We vacationed at Myrtle Beach for years in a camper and even that is just nothing I would be interested in. I could probably do a Cabin or one of the 250k RVs at Disney’s Fort Wilderness but that’s about it for me.

I have never had any desire to do actual tent camping. We vacationed at Myrtle Beach for years in a camper and even that is just nothing I would be interested in. I could probably do a Cabin or one of the 250k RVs at Disney’s Fort Wilderness but that’s about it for me.
I've camped for 1 night in a tent back in the early 1980s on the banks of the Edisto River near Jacksonboro, SC. I think the landing was called West Bank and some friends were having a washpot catfish stew. It was fun until time to go to sleep. It flooded rain that night and I woke up to being wet. I slept the rest of the night in the car. Never, ever again in a tent. I've camped in a motorhome and travel trailer before but only to sleep. Once was in a motorhome in a grocery store parking lot outside of Clemson. None of us wanted to drive home after the game. No problem with that but I will never, ever go to a game in Clemson again. It was hideous and we had to park in a pasture well over a mile away that was dusty as hell and cold.

Reactions: Tmac069 and Dizzy01

Per the experts, camping reservations are up 39% over last year at National and State Parks. In fact, if you haven't made reservations for Memorial Weekend it may be too late.
That kind of sucks. I swear every out-of-state camper and motor home in the country came through Montana last year. We were hoping maybe everybody got their fill of camping last year and would return to Disney World this year.

That kind of sucks. I swear every out-of-state camper and motor home in the country came through Montana last year. We were hoping maybe everybody got their fill of camping last year and would return to Disney World this year.
Several years ago we were camping at Springfield on Lake Hartwell. We met an older couple who were retired. The guy visited with us one evening and said he was retired from Bell South. They sold their house, bought a camper, and traveled the country camping. They had just returned from a trip out west.
My wife and I thought that would be a nice way to spend our retirement. After living in our camper for the better part of two years, we deduced that it is not a good way to live. We sold our 4 bedroom house on 1.5 acres, and moved to our 1.4 acre lake property. Proceeded to buy an additional acre that joins ours . That’s where our house is. It’s been a ground up restoration, and a full time arse whoopin. It’s a true labor of love, but I’ll be damn glad when we’re finished! My boat is parked in the gravel at my work, and hasn’t been in the water since 2017!

I can't say much I hope to go to Montana this Summer not to camp but to have fun sightseeing.

At about 10 years old, went to the beach with a friend's family. First week of August at Ocean Lakes in a pop up camper. I am still dehydrated, and the smell of plastic still makes me nauseous. This is exactly the reason that God made nice hotels. I could adapt to one of those expensive RVs, but only if it had maid service and a chef.

Reactions: Dizzy01
People are crazy. So things finally seem to be getting back to normal and the number one vacation people choose is one you could have done last year in a pandemic anyway?

Nothing wrong with the great outdoors, just don’t understand this being the go to vacation.

I believe you mean Glamping!! 😂
I'm actually glamping right now at Huntington Beach. Shiftpod 2 with central heat and air. It's a pop-up that goes up in minutes and has about 140 square feet of space.
_wTBWmtoLoNXeXVkTj6Xb4AX1aqyf2uPCDnn7JsGBdMUIT6lSb7VKsu_enTuUwLm33DOSSPhj514vaDkj-ddKMaX7c3xPQxK642e6W22vqKPVVIpsHboUZtoxb-j46hdglfOM_G4X2-Rj08

Was tent camping at Paris Mountain State Park way back, and was sitting outside my tent when a nice looking family pulled up and took a nice size tent in an unopened box out of the car. Told me they had just bought it. What ensued was one of the worse family dynamics I ever witnessed in public as they wrestled that thing for two hours. Eventually, they packed it all up and got back in the car and drove off.

Nope, camping is not for everybody.

My wife and I spend every opportunity we get at our permanently parked 5th wheel camper near Bryson City, NC. We spent 90% of our time there during the quarantine. We both realized that we could be happy living there permanently if the need arose. But there's just two of us and there's no setup or take down or no connecting sewer hoses. And once in a while we even make a reservation and go tent camp in the GSMNP, just for fun. About ten years ago when I was a little younger and in better health I got into hiking the A/T and hammock camping. While it's extremely hard at times, there's no better feeling than being out there at times all by yourself and walking a ridgeline and coming to a view that you know the only people who ever get to see it are those who are willing to put in the effort to get there. I wish I was still in good enough shape to do it again. If you're young and in good health, get out there and see what mother nature has provided us. I wish I had gotten into that when I was younger and could have a lot more memories of the time I spent out there.

You do as an Adult what you wished you had done as a child.

I always wanted to go fishing.
I always wanted to go camping.
I always wanted to go to the beach more often.

so on Memorial Day and 4th of July...you will find me camping on the outer banks with a surf reel in my hand. Don’t catch much But I am living the dream.

There are a lot of places in the US where you can go camping. Personally, I prefer more to go camping in colorado valley, there are a lot of beautiful places that you must visit at least once in your life. We usually camp near a spring because as you should know, there are a lot of springs there with clean water, and this is how we save up money. Also, we don't buy firewood because we are searching for woods there. It is not that hard, just don't forget a folding saw that you might buy on thesimplesurvival. It is not hard to use it, and it will help you a lot in a camp.

Last edited:
I grew up camping in my grandparents camper and have always loved it. I also did a lot of tent camping and backpacking. Now with a wife, a 5 year old and sleep apnea, we love our 33 foot camper with all the comforts of home! We will be at Disney’s Fort Wilderness the first week in May. Huntington Beach is great too! It’s nice to have all of your stuff with you and know that you’re the only one who has slept in your bed! It has gotten a little harder to book sites since Covid though.

People are crazy. So things finally seem to be getting back to normal and the number one vacation people choose is one you could have done last year in a pandemic anyway?

Nothing wrong with the great outdoors, just don’t understand this being the go to vacation.
Gotta keep them under the thumb.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT