ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Politically incorrect Master's preview.

HI Cock

Oct 14, 2012
I send out a post like this to a bunch of buddies every year. Thought you might enjoy. It's OK by me if you don't.

I really got a kick out of the women's amateur and Drive, Chip, and Putt finals at Augusta last week. Good to see Augusta loosening up a bit. In case you missed it, the son of a Haitian immigrant won the DCP. Feel good story that I'm not going to make political - not even a little bit.

Weather looks to be an issue again this year with rain forecast for Friday-Sunday. I've never actually used a second glove like Phil does (as well as many others) in the rain. Back in my day, we had one glove, no dry towels, and no Gore-Tex. And you know what? We liked it! Where did all these snowflakes come from on the golf course anyway?

The players.

Finau. The ankle guy. Please do something equally grotesque this year. It made my week watching the replay over and over again.

If you didn't get a chance to watch the guy who won in Texas on Sunday (Corey Conners), make every effort to watch his swing. Think Ernie Els and Freddy Couples love child. OK, don't think about that too long, but this guy's got a great swing - for a Canadian.

Look for a star-studded leaderboard this weekend. All the best players seem to be playing well right now with the exception of Spieth. Did anyone catch his 42-31 Saturday in Texas? What is he? A 4-handicapper?

The Spaniards Garcia and Rahm. The vandal and the reformed hothead. What are the chances we see Garcia moon walk across #18 green to spite Kuchar who is playing behind him? The better money is that Rahm will hit 2 balls in the water on 12 Saturday, break all his clubs except his gap wedge, and treat us to one of the most interesting 6 holes of golf (and language) we've ever seen.

Kuchar. The cheapskate. He will announce on Wednesday that his oldest son is going to caddie for him during the Par 3 and promptly pay him $10,000 for his 9-holes of work. That's twice as much as he paid the caddie in Mexico who helped him win earlier this year.

Rory. The wee-Irishman. I think he might just complete the career Grand Slam this week. Or he'll hit one way left again on #10 on Sunday, buy Augusta and remove ALL the trees.

DJ. The guy everyone wants to be. Are he and Paulina still together? If not, can I get her number? DJ's the one guy who should win this tournament for the next 4-5 years, but he can't keep it together between the ears for 4 days at Augusta any better than his family can walk down stairs.

Rose. Hate him. Almost as much as Poulter (except I love Poulter's twitter).

Tommy (Boy) Fleetwood. Just cut the hair already, and switch to Tom. Please.

Rickie Fowler. The heartthrob (now engaged). He'll excite us and he'll be in contention until sometime Sunday - I'm guessing it'll be #3 or #7 where a disastrous triple (maybe even a snowman) will unhinge his chances. Then, in the post-round press conference, he'll break Jordan Spieth's and Justin Thomas' record for using the word "we" to talk about himself and the shots he hit.

Bubba. Please. Wear. All. White. All. Week.

Woods. The old man. As long as his glutes are activated, he's got a chance.

Koepka. Kid is a winner. No one really talks about him at all. Strange.

DeChambeau. One of my new favorite golfers. Why? Because it's not the length of the shaft, it's how you get around the course. Did you hear that Paulina?

Phil. He still doesn't care about a 4th green jacket as much as he does a U.S. Open trophy, but he could contend this week. Either that or he'll spray a drive onto someone's pimiento cheese sandwich, hit it through a cup of beer and onto the 13th green (all in a losing effort). Philmeinto cheese anyone?

Freddie. Jeez, he's 59?!? He's the Steve Spurrier of golf. Greatness just sort of came naturally to him. He didn't have to work for it, but he wasn't cocky about how good he is like Spurrier. Watch his most recent interview with Feherty to get the full picture. I bet he shoots in the 60s Thursday or Friday and misses the cut - especially if it's raining.

The Swedes. Even though we need more Swedes in golf (and in America), I'm not picking any of them to compete this year.

And the Nancy Pelosi golf clap goes to... Patrick Reed (aka Baby Phat). Not humble. Not nice. Not well-liked. Everything cliche about golf wrapped up in one package. At least he's American (as all the winners of all the American majors should be). And anyone is better than Danny Willet, right?

My pic for winner this year. Xander Souffle. Or is it Schauffele? He set the course record at Kapalua this year. He's young and cool-headed. And he's sneaky long (they used to say that about Jim Furyk, but I never believed it). We haven't had a weird-last-name winner since Oosthuizen. It's about time. Did I mention he's the only 20-something member of the Spring Break crew without a major?

The real winner? Golf because of the ubiquitous Play 9 commercials. Trying to get more people into golf in this short attention span age. Well, any true golfer will tell you that 9 holes is NEVER enough. The question we should really ask is why didn't the Scots play 10 holes on the way out?

Went to practice round today with a work pass. Hadnt been in years. Got to use the players gate so saw a bunch of pros up close. Followed my fellow Dutch Fork alum DJ for a bit who was paired with Rory. Good day for golf until the monsoon winds just hit a little while ago.

Went to practice round today with a work pass. Hadnt been in years. Got to use the players gate so saw a bunch of pros up close. Followed my fellow Dutch Fork alum DJ for a bit who was paired with Rory. Good day for golf until the monsoon winds just hit a little while ago.
Huge storm cell over Augusta right now. Could be the same weather instability tomorrow.

Last edited:
We're getting it in Aiken now. Got back about an hour ago.
I've been several times, but not since the new practice area was built. I'd love to go back just one more time. The only negative about retiring has been my loss of the connections that got me into there.

Pretty good post.

Xander is a bold pick but I do think he could sneak up and win one soon.

On Koepka... no one talks about him because all he can do is win US Opens!

I think Tiger could be in the mix. Playing well and was in the mix in 2 majors last year. Another year in his new game, a course he has worked magic on, etc.. would not be shocked. Rory playing well and is absolutely overdue to get the career slam. Rickie is ready to win the big one as well. I’m pulling for these 3.

Great post. I think the bad weather helps the Canadians and northern Europeans, but I have no data to back it up.

Haven't been in some years. Used to go and enjoy. Followed Ben Crenshaw one year because his college friend Farah Faucett was following him. She was gorgeous but thin. I enjoyed the practice rounds when Fuzzy and Hubert were holding camp. Could not believe how far John Daly could hit a ball. TV does not do the course justice with the terrain changes. I liked the fact that the concessions were reasonable.

Angry white guy

I send out a post like this to a bunch of buddies every year. Thought you might enjoy. It's OK by me if you don't.

I really got a kick out of the women's amateur and Drive, Chip, and Putt finals at Augusta last week. Good to see Augusta loosening up a bit. In case you missed it, the son of a Haitian immigrant won the DCP. Feel good story that I'm not going to make political - not even a little bit.

Weather looks to be an issue again this year with rain forecast for Friday-Sunday. I've never actually used a second glove like Phil does (as well as many others) in the rain. Back in my day, we had one glove, no dry towels, and no Gore-Tex. And you know what? We liked it! Where did all these snowflakes come from on the golf course anyway?

The players.

Finau. The ankle guy. Please do something equally grotesque this year. It made my week watching the replay over and over again.

If you didn't get a chance to watch the guy who won in Texas on Sunday (Corey Conners), make every effort to watch his swing. Think Ernie Els and Freddy Couples love child. OK, don't think about that too long, but this guy's got a great swing - for a Canadian.

Look for a star-studded leaderboard this weekend. All the best players seem to be playing well right now with the exception of Spieth. Did anyone catch his 42-31 Saturday in Texas? What is he? A 4-handicapper?

The Spaniards Garcia and Rahm. The vandal and the reformed hothead. What are the chances we see Garcia moon walk across #18 green to spite Kuchar who is playing behind him? The better money is that Rahm will hit 2 balls in the water on 12 Saturday, break all his clubs except his gap wedge, and treat us to one of the most interesting 6 holes of golf (and language) we've ever seen.

Kuchar. The cheapskate. He will announce on Wednesday that his oldest son is going to caddie for him during the Par 3 and promptly pay him $10,000 for his 9-holes of work. That's twice as much as he paid the caddie in Mexico who helped him win earlier this year.

Rory. The wee-Irishman. I think he might just complete the career Grand Slam this week. Or he'll hit one way left again on #10 on Sunday, buy Augusta and remove ALL the trees.

DJ. The guy everyone wants to be. Are he and Paulina still together? If not, can I get her number? DJ's the one guy who should win this tournament for the next 4-5 years, but he can't keep it together between the ears for 4 days at Augusta any better than his family can walk down stairs.

Rickie Fowler. The heartthrob (now engaged). He'll excite us and he'll be in contention until sometime Sunday - I'm guessing it'll be #3 or #7 where a disastrous triple (maybe even a snowman) will unhinge his chances. Then, in the post-round press conference, he'll break Jordan Spieth's and Justin Thomas' record for using the word "we" to talk about himself and the shots he hit.

DeChambeau. One of my new favorite golfers. Why? Because it's not the length of the shaft, it's how you get around the course. Did you hear that Paulina?

Phil. He still doesn't care about a 4th green jacket as much as he does a U.S. Open trophy, but he could contend this week. Either that or he'll spray a drive onto someone's pimiento cheese sandwich, hit it through a cup of beer and onto the 13th green (all in a losing effort). Philmeinto cheese anyone?

Freddie. Jeez, he's 59?!? He's the Steve Spurrier of golf. Greatness just sort of came naturally to him. He didn't have to work for it, but he wasn't cocky about how good he is like Spurrier. Watch his most recent interview with Feherty to get the full picture. I bet he shoots in the 60s Thursday or Friday and misses the cut - especially if it's raining.

The Swedes. Even though we need more Swedes in golf (and in America), I'm not picking any of them to compete this year.

And the Nancy Pelosi golf clap goes to... Patrick Reed (aka Baby Phat). Not humble. Not nice. Not well-liked. Everything cliche about golf wrapped up in one package. At least he's American (as all the winners of all the American majors should be). And anyone is better than Danny Willet, right?

My pic for winner this year. Xander Souffle. Or is it Schauffele? He set the course record at Kapalua this year. He's young and cool-headed. And he's sneaky long (they used to say that about Jim Furyk, but I never believed it). We haven't had a weird-last-name winner since Oosthuizen. It's about time. Did I mention he's the only 20-something member of the Spring Break crew without a major?

The real winner? Golf because of the ubiquitous Play 9 commercials. Trying to get more people into golf in this short attention span age. Well, any true golfer will tell you that 9 holes is NEVER enough. The question we should really ask is why didn't the Scots play 10 holes on the way out?

Pretty good post.

I think Tiger could be in the mix. Playing well and was in the mix in 2 majors last year. Another year in his new game, a course he has worked magic on, etc.. would not be shocked. Rory playing well and is absolutely overdue to get the career slam. Rickie is ready to win the big one as well. I’m pulling for these 3.
I always pull for Rickie, which is strange because of his preferred Sunday color. Won't be sad if Tiger wins, but never been his biggest fan. I used to like Rory until he switched to Nike. He was more humble back then. I prefer the newer crew of guys to him. Koepka has all the tools, but the U.S. Open suits him better because so many people can't handle the tightness and the rough.

Haven't been there since the early 90's. Right before the lottery for practice round and the "rough." I definitely miss those days.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Koepka is good enough to win it and he's not shakeable. He won't be blown away by the moment if he can get into contention. He is the best athlete among the top golfers now. Rory is the best player when he's right, meaning when his putter is right. Ricky is the people's choice. But he makes more double bogeys than any of the top-tier players. But a win by him would be enormous.

I always pull for Rickie, which is strange because of his preferred Sunday color. Won't be sad if Tiger wins, but never been his biggest fan. I used to like Rory until he switched to Nike. He was more humble back then. I prefer the newer crew of guys to him. Koepka has all the tools, but the U.S. Open suits him better because so many people can't handle the tightness and the rough.

Haven't been there since the early 90's. Right before the lottery for practice round and the "rough." I definitely miss those days.

Koepka is good enough to win it and he's not shakeable. He won't be blown away by the moment if he can get into contention. He is the best athlete among the top golfers now. Rory is the best player when he's right, meaning when his putter is right. Ricky is the people's choice. But he makes more double bogeys than any of the top-tier players. But a win by him would be enormous.

I agree with most all of this. Hoping these guys are the ones in contention Sunday and we have a barn burner. I don’t love Koepka but he’s a stud. He and DJ are incredible athletes that can both win it (and have been rumored to have similar taste in women).

Things I disagree with- I hate to admit something so cliche, but I’m a massive Tiger fan. Thus, I liked Rory more when he became a Nike guy and really wanted him to take the torch, despite him being a redcoat.

Tiger, Rory, and Rickie are my guys this week.

I agree with most all of this. Hoping these guys are the ones in contention Sunday and we have a barn burner. I don’t love Koepka but he’s a stud. He and DJ are incredible athletes that can both win it (and have been rumored to have similar taste in women).

Things I disagree with- I hate to admit something so cliche, but I’m a massive Tiger fan. Thus, I liked Rory more when he became a Nike guy and really wanted him to take the torch, despite him being a redcoat.

Tiger, Rory, and Rickie are my guys this week.
That's honest enough.

The players.

I've been several times, but not since the new practice area was built. I'd love to go back just one more time. The only negative about retiring has been my loss of the connections that got me into there.

I was able to attend the Masters from 1961 to 2000. Went every year and probably took in some 100 rounds.
Saw Hogan, Snead, Player, Nicklaus and of course Arnold Palmer. Everyone loved Arnie.

The year after my dad died the application to purchase tickets no longer arrived

I was able to attend the Masters from 1961 to 2000. Went every year and probably took in some 100 rounds.
Saw Hogan, Snead, Player, Nicklaus and of course Arnold Palmer. Everyone loved Arnie.

The year after my dad died the application to purchase tickets no longer arrived

They do a better job than the Feds keeping up with who has died, apparently.

Last edited:
Rory will break the Curse this year... I like Paul Casey as well, Sergio hits it as good as anyone tee to green, but putter is suspect, so not sure how he ever won the Masters. DJ, well, he would be who i would root for, but he will trip and fall.. But if he can get "1/2" a putter going, he can totally dismantle this course with his length...
So its Mcilroy, Casey, Tiger, Justin Rose then Dustin Johnson.in that order as my picks...

Pretty good post.

Unless Tiger gets his putter working, he won't be a threat. He's learned how to hit the ball given his physical issues. Putting is between the ears.

Of all the changes they've made to the course over the years, the lengthening of #5 makes the least sense to me.

Unless Tiger gets his putter working, he won't be a threat. He's learned how to hit the ball given his physical issues. Putting is between the ears.
I would normally tend to agree, but this Course fits his eye... I would say he has a shot, I would almost put money on that he will be top ten, and i am not a Tiiger fan..

Reactions: rogue cock
Wednesday update

I take back what I said about Freddie. I watched him hit a couple shots in the Par 3. Really bad. Doubt he'll break 75.

Two kids to watch out for this week: Haotong Li and Cameron Smith.

Best name of the tournament: (for obvious reasons) Devon Bling. Hope he can live up to that name.

Fowler's GF is the best of the brat pack by far.

Wednesday update

I take back what I said about Freddie. I watched him hit a couple shots in the Par 3. Really bad. Doubt he'll break 75.

Two kids to watch out for this week: Haotong Li and Cameron Smith.

Best name of the tournament: (for obvious reasons) Devon Bling. Hope he can live up to that name.

He upgraded awhile back.

I'm not retired yet, but have not been since the mid 90s. The last time I went was on a Saturday. The rain moved in quickly and my buddy and I were standing outside the clubhouse near an entrance trying to stay dry. Suddenly the door opened and someone said, "come in out of the rain." We suddenly found ourselves in the dining room. I was too busy trying to look like I belonged and didn't stare. The TV people were doing interviews upstairs during the storm and I did see Ken Venturi. I believe it was the year Crenshaw won.

I'd love to see DJ or Hoffman win, but this year I like Kisner, Fowler, Molinari, McIlroy or Casey. Honorable Mentions are Tiger and Jim Furyk. Wouldn't surprise me to see Conners and/or Mitchell come out and post a low score or two. But this is a big boy tournament.

Wednesday update

She was a pole vaulter (nice) and there was a picture of her that went viral probably 10 years back. Picture below.

Actually bumped into both Fowler and JT’s significant others at East Lake this past year and said hello (in passing of course, didn’t try and stop and have a conversation). Pretty crazy as they were sort of off on their own, not really in a big crowd or anything. Both are beautiful. JT’s gf is just the normal, really attractive girl you knew in college, but Stokke (rickie’s gf) is truly model caliber.

allison+1.jpg

She was a pole vaulter (nice) and there was a picture of her that went viral probably 10 years back. Picture below.

Actually bumped into both Fowler and JT’s significant others at East Lake this past year and said hello (in passing of course, didn’t try and stop and have a conversation). Pretty crazy as they were sort of off on their own, not really in a big crowd or anything. Both are beautiful. JT’s gf is just the normal, really attractive girl you knew in college, but Stokke (rickie’s gf) is truly model caliber.

allison+1.jpg
Didn't realize this was Rickie's gf. Unfair.

The players.

This year, I had to work with the Augusta National to get our tickets transferred from my dad's name to my mother's. My dad died a year ago and you will not believe all the things I had to do to get them put in my mother's name.

Reactions: king ward
This year, I had to work with the Augusta National to get our tickets transferred from my dad's name to my mother's. My dad died a year ago and you will not believe all the things I had to do to get them put in my mother's name.
I'm thinking that, had your parents divorced after your Dad became a badge-holder, and then he died, they would not have transferred them to a woman no longer his wife. They are tight about tickets.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT