ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Poor Zags...can they ever win it all?

GarnetBeamer

Dec 7, 2020
Feel sorry for Gonzaga this morning as they got throttled in the title game. I think it was somewhat expected, coming off the emotionally taxing game against UCLA. They just didn't seem to have anything left in the tank, and when Baylor socked them in the mouth right out of the gate it was pretty much over at that point. It just leaves me wondering if the Zags can ever win it all. They've been to the tournament 21 years in a row (counting last year as a technicality). Nearly half of those trips have been as a 1, 2, 3 or 4 seed. Maybe they're trending in the right direction, though. They've been a tournament mainstay since 1998, but they didn't break through to the Final Four until 2017, when they lost in the title game. Prior to that season, they had mostly been a Round of 32 or Sweet 16 feel-good kind of team. Just can't help but wonder if it didn't happen for them this season, when will it happen?

I was rooting for them...but at least Baylor put them out of misery early. The game was basically over after the first 5 mins. They never recovered from the 9-0 run to start the game.

Looks like they might sign the #1 overall recruit this year. If that happens you have to think they have a chance even with losing Suggs.

Reactions: GarnetBeamer
I was pulling for them, and although the UCLA game may have had some mental effects for the ZAGS, I have to give credit where credit is due. Baylor had a suffocating defense, and was shooting lights out. Gonzaga happened to run into a Buzzsaw. No one was going to beat Baylor last night.

Reactions: titaniumspur
Looks like they might sign the #1 overall recruit this year. If that happens you have to think they have a chance even with losing Suggs.

Yeah, definitely a possibility. It took them a long time, but in the past 4 or 5 years, they've transitioned from mostly being that feel-good team in the tournament to being a legit contender. They've played in 2 title games now in recent years, so maybe they'll get theirs soon. This just seemed like their best shot, but maybe not.

It took Baylor a long time, but they’ve been knocking on the door and finally broke through. I could see Gonzaga doing the same thing very soon. Their path is much easier than some of the others.

I have a hard time feeling sorry for Gonzaga. They seem to be doing pretty well from themselves, given their resources as an athletic program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT