ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Proud Golf Mom Moment - Smalls Advances to the AAAA Individual State Golf Championships

USCBatgirl21

Sep 5, 2006
Sec 4, Row 1, Seat 16 Carolina Stadium
To say we're proud would be an understatement. Momma is headed down to Hilton Head Sunday night to watch him compete. He shot 76 at Lower State yesterday to be one of three individuals to advance. Lower State was at The Country Club of South Carolina. State is at Dolphin Head 5/17-18.

To say we're proud would be an understatement. Momma is headed down to Hilton Head Sunday night to watch him compete. He shot 76 at Lower State yesterday to be one of three individuals to advance. Lower State was at The Country Club of South Carolina. State is at Dolphin Head 5/17-18.

Congrats. You should be very proud. Is he a senior? Plans to play golf in college?

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Sophomore. Yes, he wants to play collegiate golf, and hopes to play professionally.
I hope he gets to do what he wants. Just a bit of advice though. My daughter graduated last year and had several schools offer scholarships. However they told her when she came it was all about golf. She could not study abroad, could not do internships until career was over and would be limited on other activities on campus to participate in. Some more stringent than others. She loves golf and still plays for fun but wanted to study abroad real bad and as a matter of fact she will study in Europe next summer. If he LOVES golf, great but when you go on scholarship, it’s like others have said, you are theirs and play by their rules. The advice is to ask expectations and what he can do outside of golf. If wants to do anything else he needs to make sure he conveys that to the coach and they will generally be honest.
aside from that, best of luck at state. Hope he does great.

I hope he gets to do what he wants. Just a bit of advice though. My daughter graduated last year and had several schools offer scholarships. However they told her when she came it was all about golf. She could not study abroad, could not do internships until career was over and would be limited on other activities on campus to participate in. Some more stringent than others. She loves golf and still plays for fun but wanted to study abroad real bad and as a matter of fact she will study in Europe next summer. If he LOVES golf, great but when you go on scholarship, it’s like others have said, you are theirs and play by their rules. The advice is to ask expectations and what he can do outside of golf. If wants to do anything else he needs to make sure he conveys that to the coach and they will generally be honest.
He'd be just fine doing school and golf. He's just wired that way.

Congrats USCBatgirl21!
Make sure you keep a record of these times. Not only will they be nice to look back on, highlights look good on a resume or webpage to send colleges.

He'd be just fine doing school and golf. He's just wired that way.
Congrats!

To be perfectly honest, playing a sport and schoolwork is like having 2 full-time jobs, and it's a shock to some kids initially. My son is a D2 baseball player. Between conditioning, school, practices, there's not much free time at all. The fun is the actual games. It's a grind with everything else. No experience with golf, but I'm sure it'll be similar. Enjoy the last of his HS playing days. It's the last time he'll be playing purely for fun, it's a job in college, no matter if it's D1, D2, etc..

Best of luck at the State Championships!

That is fantastic! I know you're very proud.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
Sooo... Years down the road, when he gets invited to play at The Masters, you gonna get free tickets for us on the forum? 😁 I'm calling dibs on the first one!

Seriously, congratulations!
He ever makes it to The Masters...OMG, I can't even imagine how excited I'll be. Seeing him tee off at 18 at Harbor Town with the Lighthouse before him was pretty damn cool. But one day to hopefully be watching him at Amen Corner, or walk up 18 - WOW! just WOW!

Reactions: ruffledfeathers
Cool stuff, and he's just a sophomore.

Good luck to the young fellow and thanks for sharing.

You should be proud! My parents were excited when I played on AA State Golf championship winning teams back in 1973 - 1975, Go Warhorses!
Keep us posted on his progress.

Congratulations to your young man. I wish him all the best!🤙🏼

There’s gotta be a mistake here, it was just yesterday he was no higher than a fungo bat!

In other news, Bat to become a 4 iron mama😆

He shot +3 75 today, and is T-11 out of 86 golfers. He was -2 at one point, but started getting fatigued on the back.
I was mistaken in thinking the Individual Title was just between the 6. It's between everyone playing.
Also the top 8 make All-State Golf Team.
Another 18 holes tomorrow. Anything can happen.

Reactions: USMCatFan
He shot +3 75 today, and is T-11 out of 86 golfers. He was -2 at one point, but started getting fatigued on the back.
I was mistaken in thinking the Individual Title was just between the 6. It's between everyone playing.
Also the top 8 make All-State Golf Team.
Another 18 holes tomorrow. Anything can happen.
Great round none the less. Tomorrow should be better now that nerves are gone and played competitively a round already. He will relax and go tomorrow. Good luck.

So collegiate golfers are treated the same as other scholarship athletes?

So collegiate golfers are treated the same as other scholarship athletes?
Wasn’t saying they didn’t. Just saying that if they want to really play then it is all they will do. If they want to do other things then they need to really think about it before committing. Don’t take it as complaining or anything just a bit of advice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT