ADVERTISEMENT

OT-Rape in Uber

DocSmith89

Aug 29, 2019
NBC broke a story about the risk of getting raped in an Uber. They intentionally are making women afraid to take an Uber. They said that 1 in 5.4 million women will be raped while taking an uber ride. Imagine what that is going to do to Uber stock. What they didn’t tell you was that women have a 1 in 6 chance of being raped in general. So honestly, a woman is infinitely safer in an Uber than she is outside of an Uber. How do we let our press get away with such fake news? Will they ever be held accountable?

NBC broke a story about the risk of getting raped in an Uber. They intentionally are making women afraid to take an Uber. They said that 1 in 5.4 million women will be raped while taking an uber ride. Imagine what that is going to do to Uber stock. What they didn’t tell you was that women have a 1 in 6 chance of being raped in general. So honestly, a woman is infinitely safer in an Uber than she is outside of an Uber. How do we let our press get away with such fake news? Will they ever be held accountable?
After the accusations against some employees, Uber should give us the chances on being raped at NBC.

RollLaugh

To answer your question about the press, no they won’t be held accountable because most people don’t care enough or only want to hear what confirms their beliefs.

But it sounds like you may have fallen victim to the news. That 1 in 6 statistic is such crap it doesn’t even make sense. Roughly 312million people in the US 35% are women 18-44 so there are 110 million women from 18-44. So if 1 in 6 are getting raped that means there are 18 million women 18-44 in the us that have been raped. (Math approximated)

And there is no way that many women worked at NBC or with Bill Cosby RollLaugh

It sounds like one stat is the probability of getting raped while riding an Uber, the other is the probability of getting raped over a lifetime. They are completely different numbers. You have to factor in the time component to make them comparable.

We're living in a victim culture. Being a victim is like having street cred now a days. And because being a "victim" gets you instant sympathy. You get people not just making up stories but stretching the definitions of things like rape. Lots of times later a woman get's angry at their sexual partner after the fact, or she get's pregnant or just otherwise has regrets, they say that counts as rape. Like, she said she had a headache beforehand but agreed anyways then found out he cheated a month later. RAPE! That is the scary reality of the world today. So considering the sources and the current climate it makes sense you would have a ridiculous stat like that.

We're living in a victim culture. Being a victim is like having street cred now a days. And because being a "victim" gets you instant sympathy. You get people not just making up stories but stretching the definitions of things like rape. Lots of times later a woman get's angry at their sexual partner after the fact, or she get's pregnant or just otherwise has regrets, they say that counts as rape. Like, she said she had a headache beforehand but agreed anyways then found out he cheated a month later. RAPE! That is the scary reality of the world today. So considering the sources and the current climate it makes sense you would have a ridiculous stat like that.
My mother and ex wife will be relieved to know that their rape was only a desperate plea for attention. Ask the women in your life what they know about sexual assault and then listen to them.

Are Will and Ray driving for Uber then cause it feels like they've been raping us all season!

Last edited:
My mother and ex wife will be relieved to know that their rape was only a desperate plea for attention. Ask the women in your life what they know about sexual assault and then listen to them.
I'm sorry to hear about that, man. I hope they are doing well.

I'm sorry to hear about that, man. I hope they are doing well.
Thank you, my mother passed away 20 years ago at age 78. She never revealed the incident til she was 70 and out of the blue told me she was in counseling and why. In retrospect it explained a number of her attitudes and behaviors. My ex was assaulted as a pre teen and it affected her every day and in many ways. It was not a good marriage but damn she is brave and fierce.

Reactions: mavcock
Thank you, my mother passed away 20 years ago at age 78. She never revealed the incident til she was 70 and out of the blue told me she was in counseling and why. In retrospect it explained a number of her attitudes and behaviors. My ex was assaulted as a pre teen and it affected her every day and in many ways. It was not a good marriage but damn she is brave and fierce.
You bring to light a terrible situation so I'm sorry about your situation and you ex wife's (and your Mom's) situation.
Hang in there. A man who hurts a woman deserves the beating of a lifetime.

You bring to light a terrible situation so I'm sorry about your situation and you ex wife's (and your Mom's) situation.
Hang in there. A man who hurts a woman deserves the beating of a lifetime.
I am fine, I just am stupefied at those who think women lie about rape or somehow use it for attention.

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
Hopefully my daughter won't end up living somewhere that Ubers and taxis won't be part of her life. Anything can happen anywhere, but just like the recent case here Columbia. There's a lot of evil out there, and the more anyone (especially a woman) has to deal with strangers(the drivers), the higher the chance of running into a damn psycho.

RollLaugh

To answer your question about the press, no they won’t be held accountable because most people don’t care enough or only want to hear what confirms their beliefs.

But it sounds like you may have fallen victim to the news. That 1 in 6 statistic is such crap it doesn’t even make sense. Roughly 312million people in the US 35% are women 18-44 so there are 110 million women from 18-44. So if 1 in 6 are getting raped that means there are 18 million women 18-44 in the us that have been raped. (Math approximated)

And there is no way that many women worked at NBC or with Bill Cosby RollLaugh
That was a statistic from the Department of Justice. I will not vouch for the number as I did not do the study. The Center for Disease Control says 1 in 5, so regardless of what your calculations make you believe, I stand by my statement that a woman is much safer in an Uber. I would agree that those numbers don’t define what they consider rape, but neither does NBC. It would be nice of you to explain how my stats are such crap since you seem to know. I have 3 daughters under 25, and 1 was raped this past summer, so from a personal side that number is 1 in 3. I would much prefer they ride Uber.

Last edited:
It sounds like one stat is the probability of getting raped while riding an Uber, the other is the probability of getting raped over a lifetime. They are completely different numbers. You have to factor in the time component to make them comparable.
Very true, but even at that, if a woman rode an uber every single day of her adult life, that number would drop to around 1 in 300. Still much safer than the lifetime average in general. My point however wasn’t as much about the exact numbers, it was about the press making up fake news to instill fear. In order for the Uber statistic to be considered it must be given with comparable risk. It’s like reporting the outcome of a football game and only giving one teams score.

It's no wonder hardly any women post on here.
As a liberal woman living in a non-liberal state I have become numb to such asinine comments. That being said, I have never felt unsafe in an Uber. Can't say the same about walking alone anywhere these days. I just try to always be aware of my surroundings.

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
NBC did not "break" this story. All of the news outlets had the story, since it was based on a press release from Uber of the results of an internal study.

So, the real story here is that Uber studied itself, and in the interest of "transparency" were pleased to "discover" that raping of Uber riders was rare.

Whether or not you believe it actually IS rare (or at least as rare as the "study" shows) depends on how much credibility you place in a self-serving internal "study."

From my use of quotes, you can tell I am not giving the report the highest credibility.

Reactions: cockthehammer#
NBC did not "break" this story. All of the news outlets had the story, since it was based on a press release from Uber of the results of an internal study.

So, the real story here is that Uber studied itself, and in the interest of "transparency" were pleased to "discover" that raping of Uber riders was rare.

Whether or not you believe it actually IS rare (or at least as rare as the "study" shows) depends on how much credibility you place in a self-serving internal "study."

From my use of quotes, you can tell I am not giving the report the highest credibility.
Since it was reported as an NBC News Exclusive and considering Lester Holt said that it’s a breaking NBC News exclusive, I stand by my statement. Why do you people feel the need to pick everyone’s statement apart? The “exclusive” part wasn’t the point of the story, but thanks for your input for whatever it was worth.

Reactions: Cybercock
Since it was reported as an NBC News Exclusive and considering Lester Holt said that it’s a breaking NBC News exclusive, I stand by my statement. Why do you people feel the need to pick everyone’s statement apart? The “exclusive” part wasn’t the point of the story, but thanks for your input for whatever it was worth.
And, the point of my response was this was an Uber internal study, not an NBC investigation.

Thanks for YOUR response, since it was worth zero.

And, the point of my response was this was an Uber internal study, not an NBC investigation.

Thanks for YOUR response, since it was worth zero.
No, what you pointed out was that NBC didn’t break the news. Just because the study was done by Uber doesn’t mean that NBC didn’t break the news. But once again thanks for clarifying what has absolutely nothing to do with the point of the OP.

Reactions: Cybercock
I am sorry for anything to that happened to those women you care about. But your sarcastic and idiotic response is uncalled for. I never said that women don't get raped. They absolutely should be taken seriously when the claim so, so don't twist my words.

I was saying this 1/6 statistic is not reliable because there are a bunch of dishonest and crazy and stupid people out there and it knows no gender boundaries and nothing gets investigated. It's a simple were you raped, yes or no answer and it gets logged in.

I guess you would want everyone to believe a poll that 6/6 women are honest, trustworthy, and never lie. What about Duke Lacrosse? Did that not happen? Once I had a female roommate back when I was a young lad that threatened to accuse me of rape simply because we agreed to split the rent and she wanted me to sign her out of the lease and I said no at first. The thought of having sex with her never even crossed my mind because she was a nasty slob. I caved to what she wanted because I didn't want to put up with her crazy crap anymore.

I understand that you have some good women around you that make you want to put women on some kind of pedestal. II get that. While I have a good view of women generally, there are a ton of trashy, heartless, despicable, vindictive, and desperate, and yes, attention seeking women out there, just the same as with men. So any statistic like that you'd have to be really naive to take as hard fact. But If you think women don't lie are would not lie about this kind of thing, you are just plain wrong. Sorry if that doesn't mesh well with your idealize view that women are saints.

these stats are based on claims, not convictions. hell based on the loose criteria, i would be willing to bet most of us could be prosecuted. that includes women too, reverse the model. i personally have been groped by women. made an object of. when was the last time you had to have intercourse when you actually weren’t in the mood. is that considered? doubt it.

I am sorry for anything to that happened to those women you care about. But your sarcastic and idiotic response is uncalled for. I never said that women don't get raped. They absolutely should be taken seriously when the claim so, so don't twist my words.

I was saying this 1/6 statistic is not reliable because there are a bunch of dishonest and crazy and stupid people out there and it knows no gender boundaries and nothing gets investigated. It's a simple were you raped, yes or no answer and it gets logged in.

I guess you would want everyone to believe a poll that 6/6 women are honest, trustworthy, and never lie. What about Duke Lacrosse? Did that not happen? Once I had a female roommate back when I was a young lad that threatened to accuse me of rape simply because we agreed to split the rent and she wanted me to sign her out of the lease and I said no at first. The thought of having sex with her never even crossed my mind because she was a nasty slob. I caved to what she wanted because I didn't want to put up with her crazy crap anymore.

I understand that you have some good women around you that make you want to put women on some kind of pedestal. II get that. While I have a good view of women generally, there are a ton of trashy, heartless, despicable, vindictive, and desperate, and yes, attention seeking women out there, just the same as with men. So any statistic like that you'd have to be really naive to take as hard fact. But If you think women don't lie are would not lie about this kind of thing, you are just plain wrong. Sorry if that doesn't mesh well with your idealize view that women are saints.
Thank you for doubling back. My comments were angry but not asinine. To blithely dump all women in an attention grabbing category is asinine and ignorant. Most rapes/assaults are unreported. I am a minister who has also worked in alcohol and drug rehab for over a decade. I have personally heard HUNDREDS of women recount stories of rape and sexual assault and how that wrecked their life. 95% of them NEVER REPORTED the incident out of fear and shame. Do not try to gloss me over because women close to me have had this experience. I do not put women on a pedestal, I just don’t want men being asshole rapists and other men trivializing it. I GUARANTEE you know more than one woman who has been raped. And by how you have posted I GUARANTEE they will never talk to you about it. Why would they?

If you have ever seen a Taxi driver, any Uber has to be much safer.

Good ol backwoods hillbilly SC strikes again with all its culture. Welcome to 1858.

Very true, but even at that, if a woman rode an uber every single day of her adult life, that number would drop to around 1 in 300. Still much safer than the lifetime average in general. My point however wasn’t as much about the exact numbers, it was about the press making up fake news to instill fear. In order for the Uber statistic to be considered it must be given with comparable risk. It’s like reporting the outcome of a football game and only giving one teams score.

Absolutely agree that Uber is safer. Every driver knows that everything about every ride is stored - names, locations, times, etc. It would be hard to get away with anything.

Thanks

Yep.. all too real for some of the females closest to me. Few things more infuriating tbo

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT