ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Refrigerator Suggestions

classof95#

GarnetTrust.com Member/Supporter
Gold Member
Sep 30, 2001
Our 9 year old Samsung fridge is acting up. The freezer is set to zero but it's really around 10 degrees. Try setting it down to -10, doesn't help. Service tech says it's likely a sealed system issue (freon leak) or weak compressor, which is several hundred dollars to repair and it's hard to find someone that does such repairs. I replaced the temperature sensor, $18, myself. Didn't help.

Looking at reviews online for new refrigerators. Quite a few horror stories. I imagine frustration escalates quickly as food spoils. We've been pleased with Samsung, however several recent reviews indicate issues and trouble getting qualified service. Similar comments about LG. Leaning towards Whirlpool, maybe GE or Kitchen Aid. Thinking side by side, standard size.

Any suggestions, experiences are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Our 9 year old Samsung fridge is acting up. The freezer is set to zero but it's really around 10 degrees. Try setting it down to -10, doesn't help. Service tech says it's likely a sealed system issue (freon leak) or weak compressor, which is several hundred dollars to repair and it's hard to find someone that does such repairs. I replaced the temperature sensor, $18, myself. Didn't help.

Looking at reviews online for new refrigerators. Quite a few horror stories. I imagine frustration escalates quickly as food spoils. We've been pleased with Samsung, however several recent reviews indicate issues and trouble getting qualified service. Similar comments about LG. Leaning towards Whirlpool, maybe GE or Kitchen Aid. Thinking side by side, standard size.

Thanks in advance.
Too funny. My father is having exact same issue with 10 year old samsung fridge. Freezer is shot and the cost to repair is $1400 so makes more sense to replace. Repair guy said to unplug fridge and thaw out freezer for a couple days (said theres a huge block of ice in back of freezer that is jamming it) and it will start working correctly for a few weeks before freezer completely dies. Repairman claims samsung makes crap fridges (they also go into auto defrost every 8 hours-sooner than other brands-which causes big issues) and that Maytags last longer. My father's debating what to do.

https://www.classaction.org/samsung-refrigerator-ice-maker-lawsuit

Last edited:
Reactions: TheReelEss

Thanks in advance.
Do not buy a Fridgeaire!!! Consumer Reports rates Kenmore as the best brand for refrigerators.

Reactions: rogue cock

Thanks in advance.

I have a standard size side by side frigidaire and it works just fine.

Have had a Whirlpool with freezer on bottom, two doors up top with a slide out drawer in the middle for 3 years and am happy with it...no problems so far. Have had several GEs and all but the simplest ones were a horror.

Reactions: lexgamecock
Just had to replace a Kenmore Elite two months ago and the unit was only 4 years old.
2 different repairmen told me to avoid LG (Kenmore Elite) and Samsung at all costs.
We ended up getting a Kitchen Aide. No doubt about it, its nice, but I just wan't ready to buy a new fridge so soon. :mad:

Reactions: SCBlueFan
Cross my fingers, my GE is going on 21 years and still humming. Probably old type refrigerant soon to disappear. Some of the new ones do have smart inverter technology.

There is no correct answer to what’s the best refrigerator. None are made to last more than 5 years know it seems. Use to be you could buy a large appliance and it would last decades. They really don’t make them the way they use to.
My wife bought our Maytag washer and dryer in 1980, and they have so far only had minor repairs. However, we are a once a week kind of user of the things.

We bought an LG last fall when we built our house. I searched and searched, and read reviews and more reviews. It's a side-by-side, and boiled down to having very good reviews and the best arrangement of bins and shelves for our likes and needs. It's only closing in on a year, but so far, so good.

Reactions: cadcock
I have SubZero in one house and two condos. They range in age from 8 to 10 years old and they are still running strong. I had to pay $1400 to have the evaporator coil replaced on one unit. They are great quality and last forever. Cost more up front but last a long time.

Had five different Samsung appliances. Not one was worth a nickel. My advice is to avoid Samsung at all costs. We had a French door Samsung that had the ice maker go out in the second year. The whole thing died in about 4 years. Currently have a Fridgedaire. So far so good after 2 years. The GE Profile we had before the Samsung was equally short-lived.

Reactions: thisisnextyr
Either go cheap (even the cheap ones are energy efficient these days) understanding that you may not even get 10 years, or go Subzero. The midrange fridge is going to drive you crazy balancing price with planned obsolescence.

Appliances are sad these days.

My grandparents and parents had refrigerators that lasted them decades.
In his garage, my father has the side by side that was in my grandparents' farm house in Camden since I was at least 12 years old. I'm 45 now. He uses it to keep the beer, Pepsi. and extra coffee creamer for Mom, cold. The freezer side is for all their frozen meats and veggies (most fresh out of the garden).

My grandparents and parents had refrigerators that lasted them decades

I can honestly state, there was a time in my adult life, when I had never known anyone who had a refrigerator break down. YES! replaced many a gasket, myself. Replaced broken handles. But, flat out quit working,,, Never. ,,,,, But now??? How many laptops/desktops have you owned???
Planned Obsolescence.

We have a 2 year old whirlpool, other that the ice maker having a mind of it's own and a few design flaws I don't really care for, it's not too bad so far, cross fingers and knock on wood! Now the Amana we bought when we purchased the house 20 years ago was a tank!

I can honestly state, there was a time in my adult life, when I had never known anyone who had a refrigerator break down. YES! replaced many a gasket, myself. Replaced broken handles. But, flat out quit working,,, Never. ,,,,, But now??? How many laptops/desktops have you owned???
Planned Obsolescence.

Ha! Just had a convo with my brother who is looking to buy a new laptop and he asked which brands I had owned. I had to tick down the list and realized how absurd it was that I had purchased so many laptops. Prior to moving into our house, we lived in an apartment where washer and dryer were provided. They used the kind with bush buttons and such that most use now. We had to have our washer replaced 5 times. It got to be downright comical.

When we moved into our house, I bought an old school heavy duty Speed Queen washer and dryer like they have in laundromats. Just the regular old clicky dial you'd turn and an agitator in a drum that fills up with water.

It's amazing how appliance companies have managed to change everyone's thinking on this. Used to be you'd buy refrigerator or something and just naturally expect it to last 30 years or more. Now, you naturally expect to have to replace it within 10 years. And most people don't think anything about it. No idea how companies pulled that trick off.

Ha! Just had a convo with my brother who is looking to buy a new laptop and he asked which brands I had owned. I had to tick down the list and realized how absurd it was that I had purchased so many laptops. Prior to moving into our house, we lived in an apartment where washer and dryer were provided. They used the kind with bush buttons and such that most use now. We had to have our washer replaced 5 times. It got to be downright comical.

When we moved into our house, I bought an old school heavy duty Speed Queen washer and dryer like they have in laundromats. Just the regular old clicky dial you'd turn and an agitator in a drum that fills up with water.

It's amazing how appliance companies have managed to change everyone's thinking on this. Used to be you'd buy refrigerator or something and just naturally expect it to last 30 years or more. Now, you naturally expect to have to replace it within 10 years. And most people don't think anything about it. No idea how companies pulled that trick off.
They probably have major stock in Lowe's, Home Depot and the extended warranty people or vice versa!

Stuff breaks more, sure, but people's HGTV-ingrained attitude of "these 7 year old appliances have got to go cause there's no way I can Insta my food in front of them" is also a factor for the quick appliance trigger

Found this interesting:

Whirlpool(United States) now owns and makes Admiral, Crosley, Jenn Air, Magic Chef, Maytag, Amana, Viking, Estate, Inglis, Ikea, many Kenmore machines, KitchenAid, Kirkland, Roper and Sub Zero among many others that are lesser known. Whirlpool is the world’s leading manufacturer of appliances.

Electrolux(Sweden) owns GE, Electrolux, Frigidaire, Gallery, Gibson, Adora, Americana, Eterna, Hotpoint, Profile, RCA, Tappan and White Westinghouse among many others that are lesser known. Electrolux is the second largest manufacturer of appliances in the world.

Whirlpool and Electrolux simply gobbled up all the competition that used to force companies to make a better product.

Now, you really only have 4 choices: Whirlpool, Electrolux, Samsung or LG.

Reactions: rogue cock
I have a friend who is having incessant problems with the ice maker in his newer model Samsung refrigerator. My daughter is having the same problem with hers. Their appliances are inferior to their other products. Do yourself a favor. Buy a Maytag. Dependable appliances - all of them.

Unrelated, I have all LG washers and dryers, I think they are the best. They probably make a good frigs as well.

Thanks in advance.

We bought a Whirlpool last November the Ice Maker isn't working. We had to call the Customer Service Number. They told us to replace the water filter and we are going to tomorrow. But, I have a feeling that isn't going to help. Today's kitchen applicants and products aren't what they use to be, plain and simple. My experience in talking with other people it's a hit and miss regardless of the brand.

• Sad
Reactions: Brace1
Before u buy new one, go into back of frig with shop vac and suck out all dust and dirt. Plug in and try again. If dirty like most it will stop working. Also, if that is not issue and ice building is problem then replace defrost board. If problem persists, replace it

My grandparents and parents had refrigerators that lasted them decades.

In his garage, my father has the side by side that was in my grandparents' farm house in Camden since I was at least 12 years old. I'm 45 now. He uses it to keep the beer, Pepsi. and extra coffee creamer for Mom, cold. The freezer side is for all their frozen meats and veggies (most fresh out of the garden).

I have a 1950’s Westinghouse fridge in my garage that, to the best of my knowledge, has never been repaired. It hasn’t been repaired in the 10 years since I acquired it. Runs like a champ.

I still use the first fridge my wife and I bought together 29 years ago. It’s my garage “beer” fridge and it’s awesome. The high dollar Maytag in the house is a POS.
On the other hand, I have a Maytag refrigerator that is more than 12 years old and it has been outstanding, never requiring more than an ice maker water filter.

Reactions: Brace1

Thanks in advance.
You're the second person I've seen a bad Samsung review from. The other one's fridge didn't last 2 years.

Have had a Whirlpool with freezer on bottom, two doors up top with a slide out drawer in the middle for 3 years and am happy with it...no problems so far. Have had several GEs and all but the simplest ones were a horror.

We also have a Whirlpool two door refrigerator bottom freezer. Other than icemaker problems its been great.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT