ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Relocating “out west”

woodruffcock

Jan 11, 2004
Clarkdale, AZ
I’m currently in the process of touring the west. New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado. Looking for a place to call home for my final years. Any of you fine ladies and gentlemen have any pros and cons to give me some guidance? I’m currently sitting in a bar in Sedona, Arizona sipping a margarita waiting to take a Jeep tour of the area. Pretty sweet deal but pretty expensive for a final resting place! Suggestions?

I’m currently in the process of touring the west. New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado. Looking for a place to call home for my final years. Any of you fine ladies and gentlemen have any pros and cons to give me some guidance? I’m currently sitting in a bar in Sedona, Arizona sipping a margarita waiting to take a Jeep tour of the area. Pretty sweet deal but pretty expensive for a final resting place! Suggestions?[/QUOTE
If you are active, Wyoming, Colorado or Utah. If you spend a good bit of time indoors, New Mexico, or Arizona. I'm partial to Colorado and Utah. Ton to do in the summer and winter. Very dry as another poster mentioned.

I’m currently in the process of touring the west. New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado. Looking for a place to call home for my final years. Any of you fine ladies and gentlemen have any pros and cons to give me some guidance? I’m currently sitting in a bar in Sedona, Arizona sipping a margarita waiting to take a Jeep tour of the area. Pretty sweet deal but pretty expensive for a final resting place! Suggestions?
This is not USC related. You can't post this kind of thing here.

I am going to be looking in the next couple of years at the 50 and over parks...I know most are going to say they are 55+ but due to large numbers of my parents generation are dying off...lots of housing avaiable and most will let you in at 50 with a certain verifiable net worth...I am thinking Portland or Seattle for myself..I spend a fair amount of time in Seattle as I have friends there...I love to go but the dang flights back...uch...always getting on plane at midnite in Seattle and arriving in Atlanta early in the morning...i hate it...

I am guessing for me, Seattle, Portland, St Petersburg,FL, Asheville or Hendersonville...it will be a combination of the 2....say Asheville/Seattle or Hendersonville/Seattle/Portland...55 and overs are cheap....

I love the rocky mountain states. You might check out Durango CO. It is in a valley that is very easy access to the south west Colorado mountains, but the climate is very mild. A lot of times during the winter it is warmer there than in Columbia. It is a bit "liberal" for my tastes, but I love visiting there. Not crazy about Denver, I lived there a few months many years ago. It is just too big now. I like Cody, WY also, nice town, home of the Buffalo Bill cultural center museum complex. I love visiting there, but a bit expensive during the summer, but not as bad as Jackson Hole. There are lot's of places out there I could see living. The only reason I am still in SC is me and my wife both have family commitments here. Good luck in your search OP.

In general, I'm not a western part of the US person. I don't like the Phoenix/Scottsdale, AZ area, just too damn hot. Wyoming has no state income tax, which is nice. Utah used to have wierd alcohol sale laws, but not sure about now. Idaho is nice with a small population.

Reactions: woodruffcock
It's been a LOOOOOOOOONG time but I remember enjoying Albuquerque New Mexico.

It all depends on what you are looking for and how much $ you have.

Reactions: woodruffcock
All of the above are probably correct. My son lives in Idaho; however, it is one of the fastest growing states for a reason. I go out there often.

I’m currently in the process of touring the west. New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado. Looking for a place to call home for my final years. Any of you fine ladies and gentlemen have any pros and cons to give me some guidance? I’m currently sitting in a bar in Sedona, Arizona sipping a margarita waiting to take a Jeep tour of the area. Pretty sweet deal but pretty expensive for a final resting place! Suggestions?[/QUOTE
If you are active, Wyoming, Colorado or Utah. If you spend a good bit of time indoors, New Mexico, or Arizona. I'm partial to Colorado and Utah. Ton to do in the summer and winter. Very dry as another poster mentioned.

I’m leaning towards Wyoming. No state income taxes and land is cheap.

This is not USC related. You can't post this kind of thing here.

But I did. Sue me!!!

I am going to be looking in the next couple of years at the 50 and over parks...I know most are going to say they are 55+ but due to large numbers of my parents generation are dying off...lots of housing avaiable and most will let you in at 50 with a certain verifiable net worth...I am thinking Portland or Seattle for myself..I spend a fair amount of time in Seattle as I have friends there...I love to go but the dang flights back...uch...always getting on plane at midnite in Seattle and arriving in Atlanta early in the morning...i hate it...

I am guessing for me, Seattle, Portland, St Petersburg,FL, Asheville or Hendersonville...it will be a combination of the 2....say Asheville/Seattle or Hendersonville/Seattle/Portland...55 and overs are cheap....

I looked at one of those in Albuquerque yesterday. VERY nice and the homes were affordable but the associated fees were crazy! I’m 59 and not nearly ready for the shuffleboard scene so all the fees and amenities would be wasted on me.

I love the rocky mountain states. You might check out Durango CO. It is in a valley that is very easy access to the south west Colorado mountains, but the climate is very mild. A lot of times during the winter it is warmer there than in Columbia. It is a bit "liberal" for my tastes, but I love visiting there. Not crazy about Denver, I lived there a few months many years ago. It is just too big now. I like Cody, WY also, nice town, home of the Buffalo Bill cultural center museum complex. I love visiting there, but a bit expensive during the summer, but not as bad as Jackson Hole. There are lot's of places out there I could see living. The only reason I am still in SC is me and my wife both have family commitments here. Good luck in your search OP.

My GF lived in Denver for several years, several years ago. I’ve been told a lot of people from Cali have moved to Colorado over the last few years and really driven the cost of living up in that state. However, I have a nephew that is a state trooper in Colorado and he says there are still places off the beaten path that are reasonable.

There's no way to answer the OP's question without knowing more facts. Asking for recommendations for places to live "out west" is about like asking for suggestions on places to live east of the Mississippi River. Newark, NJ, Charlottesville, VA, Macon, GA, and Miami, FL are all in the east, but that's about the only thing they have in common.

What are your favorite activities, what is your cold tolerance, what are your politics, what are your expectations for housing, and what are your finances? Your answers to those questions help determine if you are more suited to Jackson Hole, WY or Albuquerque, NM or any of the other towns in between.

But one piece of advice I can give is to stay the heck away from Montana. Pick Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, North Dakota or anywhere else. But whatever you do, don't move to Montana. It's full here and you probably wouldn't like it anyway. (tongue in cheek)

There's no way to answer the OP's question without knowing more facts. Asking for recommendations for places to live "out west" is about like asking for suggestions on places to live east of the Mississippi River. Newark, NJ, Charlottesville, VA, Macon, GA, and Miami, FL are all in the east, but that's about the only thing they have in common.

What are your favorite activities, what is your cold tolerance, what are your politics, what are your expectations for housing, and what are your finances? Your answers to those questions help determine if you are more suited to Jackson Hole, WY or Albuquerque, NM or any of the other towns in between.

But one piece of advice I can give is to stay the heck away from Montana. Pick Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, North Dakota or anywhere else. But whatever you do, don't move to Montana. It's full here and you probably wouldn't like it anyway. (tongue in cheek)

LMAO! Well I listed my states in my OP but none of the other details you mentioned. I was waiting on you to respond because I knew there was a Cock in Montana and was waiting for you to invite me to squat on your lower 40! I know the winters in Wyoming are harsh but I live in Michigan and I’ll tolerate anything to get out of this place! o_O

I really appreciate all of the input from everyone. This is a really fun and scary adventure all at the same time. Driving cross country is something I have never done and it’s been a great adventure so far. Route 66, the Arch in St. Louis, jeep tour in Sedona just to name a few. All been great.

Too bad I have to waste my time looking for a place to live!

And to stnbooth....KMA

f15192eca057a412558f7c26fd0e4e53.jpg
Driving across the country ? You need the Family Truckster

make sure you check the temperatures in July/August before choosing.

It all depends on how much money you have. If you want a place like Sedona, it will cost you. If you can live with north Phoenix suburbs, it's cheaper.

Unfortunately, prices even in small towns across the west have ballooned lately, so that hurts, but I would suggest finding a small town that still feels like a town. Look and see what businesses are downtown. If it's all art galleries, move on quickly!

If you're looking for high and dry, anything west of Eagle, CO will give you great access to anything you might want to do. You'll be amazed how "cool" 112 degrees feels.

If you want desert, find a small town in southern Utah or northern AZ would be great.

Good Luck!

I really appreciate all of the input from everyone. This is a really fun and scary adventure all at the same time. Driving cross country is something I have never done and it’s been a great adventure so far. Route 66, the Arch in St. Louis, jeep tour in Sedona just to name a few. All been great.

And to stnbooth....KMA
Man, oh man. Someone even explained on here that the colored text was sarcasm and you still missed it...

And to stnbooth....KMA
Man, oh man. Someone even explained on here that the colored text was sarcasm and you still missed it...

Your follow up said you still got your point across so I thought you were serious! I’m currently trying to kiss my own ass. Sorry for the misunderstanding! I wasn’t aware of the different font color rules.

ADVERTISEMENT