ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Relocating “out west”

Your follow up said you still got your point across so I thought you were serious! I’m currently trying to kiss my own ass. Sorry for the misunderstanding! I wasn’t aware of the different font color rules.
Ah, yes. I meant it got the point across that it was sarcasm even if it wasn't the color the other poster said.

Been to Sedona several times, what a beautiful place. I would stay there or head to Jackson Hole, Wyoming.

Jackson Hole area is one of the most beautiful places you will see, However since there is so little private land in that area housing is outrageously expensive, unless of course a 7 figure house is not a big deal for you

Last edited:
Been to Sedona several times, what a beautiful place. I would stay there or head to Jackson Hole, Wyoming.

Jackson Hole area is one of the most beautiful places you will see, However since there is so little private land there housing is outrageously expensive, unless of course a 7 figure house is not a big deal for you

Not trying to brag but it’s not. But then again I’m counting the two figures to the right of the decimal point! :( :( :(

Your follow up said you still got your point across so I thought you were serious! I’m currently trying to kiss my own ass. Sorry for the misunderstanding! I wasn’t aware of the different font color rules.
Ah, yes. I meant it got the point across that it was sarcasm even if it wasn't the color the other poster said.

Gotcha! So we’re good again? Cos I’m having a hell of a time reaching my own ass to kiss it. Is it ok if I just get the GF to give it a good hard kick. She’s always telling me to chill.

Reactions: stnbooth
You sure it was fireworks and not firearms?
Both?
images

Reactions: woodruffcock
I looked at one of those in Albuquerque yesterday. VERY nice and the homes were affordable but the associated fees were crazy! I’m 59 and not nearly ready for the shuffleboard scene so all the fees and amenities would be wasted on me.
Why on God's green earth would you want to leave Woodruff! That's God's country man!!!

Interesting you bring this up, because my wife and I are thinking the same thing. Sedona is pretty, but as you say, pricey. I am interested in Saint George, UT. (Southwest Utah) It is within a couple of hours of several national parks. It is located in a valley, so not as much snow as the high desert. A ton of golf courses. It is a college town with good medical service. Housing costs are significantly less than Sedona. One thing I haven't looked at yet is availability of water. There are a lot of places in the Southwest that are experiencing multiple year drought due to low snow pack.

For me personally, I'd take northern New Mexico ( Taos, Las Vegas ) or a smaller Wyoming town, like Cody. You might want to visit in both winter and summer wherever you choose, coming from sunny (and extremely humid, by comparison), SC.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
My future retirement place has to have 4 requirements.

• Decent airport within 20 minutes
  • Decent movie theater in 20 minutes
  • Decent beach/lake in 20 minutes
  • Decent Gamecock bar in 2 minutes

There are a bunch of small towns in the Black Hills near Rapid City, South Dakota. I thought it was a nice area myself. Custer is nice.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
I’m currently in the process of touring the west. New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado. Looking for a place to call home for my final years. Any of you fine ladies and gentlemen have any pros and cons to give me some guidance? I’m currently sitting in a bar in Sedona, Arizona sipping a margarita waiting to take a Jeep tour of the area. Pretty sweet deal but pretty expensive for a final resting place! Suggestions?

I love Wyoming, the summers are as perfect as anyone could ask but the winters are long and cold.

I love the rocky mountain states. You might check out Durango CO. It is in a valley that is very easy access to the south west Colorado mountains, but the climate is very mild. A lot of times during the winter it is warmer there than in Columbia. It is a bit "liberal" for my tastes, but I love visiting there. Not crazy about Denver, I lived there a few months many years ago. It is just too big now. I like Cody, WY also, nice town, home of the Buffalo Bill cultural center museum complex. I love visiting there, but a bit expensive during the summer, but not as bad as Jackson Hole. There are lot's of places out there I could see living. The only reason I am still in SC is me and my wife both have family commitments here. Good luck in your search OP.

Oh boy, do I love Cody and Jackson Hole. A very inexpensive place to live in that area is Driggs, Id. Just about a 30 minute drive from Jackson Hole.

Man you guys are making me want to get back out there, but I'm not sure I want to retire in that cold of a climate! We vacationed in Saratoga and Duboise, Wy, both were fairly rural small towns and I could live in either, check out Medicine Bow National Forest and Brooks Lake at Shoshone National Forest, beautiful country!

I’m currently in the process of touring the west. New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado. Looking for a place to call home for my final years. Any of you fine ladies and gentlemen have any pros and cons to give me some guidance? I’m currently sitting in a bar in Sedona, Arizona sipping a margarita waiting to take a Jeep tour of the area. Pretty sweet deal but pretty expensive for a final resting place! Suggestions?
I’ll be driving “ the loneliest road in the U.S.” in a few days — I’ll Let you know if I see anything decent.

Reactions: woodruffcock
My GF lived in Denver for several years, several years ago. I’ve been told a lot of people from Cali have moved to Colorado over the last few years and really driven the cost of living up in that state. However, I have a nephew that is a state trooper in Colorado and he says there are still places off the beaten path that are reasonable.

Very true about the housing. When I was going to the airport Monday, the driver was telling me how much the Denver area had changed. Not enough inventory for middle income folks. They are starting some subdivisions near the airport, but who knows how much they will be? Many of the houses are small too in the affordable range.

My family out there LOVED Montana. They were in Billings. Miss it very much.

GOCOCKS! BEATARK!

I really appreciate all of the input from everyone. This is a really fun and scary adventure all at the same time. Driving cross country is something I have never done and it’s been a great adventure so far. Route 66, the Arch in St. Louis, jeep tour in Sedona just to name a few. All been great.

Too bad I have to waste my time looking for a place to live!

And to stnbooth....KMA

Did you go to Jerome, Prescott and Flagstaff? Well located, not far from Las Vegas, Grand Canyon and Phoenix.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT