ADVERTISEMENT

OT Reverend Billy Graham passes away today... He was 99 years old

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was very sad to hear the news this morning. It is believed he spoke in front of more people live than any other person in history. We'll never know how many decisions were made for Christ as the result of Graham's influence, but it is conservatively estimated in the millions. As a Christian, those are pretty humbling numbers to think about.

A Great Man! I just watched an interview Woody Allen did with Billy Graham in 1969. It's only 10 minutes long.

The quickest way for me to decide on not seeing a movie is to watch a trailer, and hear at the end "a Woody Allen film." Although I will say, you could tell he respected Billy Graham and wasn't a total jackass in that clip. I think he was intimidated. You're not going to get BG rattled.

I heard an interview with him one time and the subject was about all the tv evangelist getting caught having affairs and with hookers. The interviewer basically asked him if he worried about being accused of something like that. Graham said never. He had a rule that you don't put yourself in that position, you will not falter and no one can accuse you of anything. He was the real deal.

Reactions: ulysses5 and cocky4
I commend him for spreading the good news about our Lord Jesus; however, I have some issues with him. There is a youtube video of him saying Christ isn't the only way to heaven and basically promoting universalism! Jesus himself said in John 3:3 and John 3:7 you have to be born again to see the kingdom of God. Additionally, the Bible clearly says you have to repent of your sins, believe Jesus is the son of God, believe he rose from the dead, be baptized in the name of Jesus, receive the Holy Ghost, and then live your life in righteousness.

Also, he had a star on the Hollywood Walk of fame, consulted with presidents, etc. James 4:4 says a friend of the world is an enemy of God. Jesus said you will he hated for my names sake, Matthew 10:22!

Thoughts?

I didn't realize consulting with presidents made him a friend of the world and an enemy of God. Thanks for pointing that out. He tried to convert people over to Christ and you don't do that by simply preaching to the choir. You go where the sinners are most prevalent. Many presidents sought him out for spiritual counseling.

I commend him for spreading the good news about our Lord Jesus; however, I have some issues with him. There is a youtube video of him saying Christ isn't the only way to heaven and basically promoting universalism! Jesus himself said in John 3:3 and John 3:7 you have to be born again to see the kingdom of God. Additionally, the Bible clearly says you have to repent of your sins, believe Jesus is the son of God, believe he rose from the dead, be baptized in the name of Jesus, receive the Holy Ghost, and then live your life in righteousness.

Also, he had a star on the Hollywood Walk of fame, consulted with presidents, etc. James 4:4 says a friend of the world is an enemy of God. Jesus said you will he hated for my names sake, Matthew 10:22!

Thoughts?
If you're referring to the video you posted, I didn't hear him say Jesus isn't the path to God. He basically said that Jesus has the power to save even those that would deny Jesus in this world. And if God is all powerful and all loving that very well may be true. None of us knows exactly what happens when we shuffle off this mortal coil. You may recall Jesus had more than one parable warning the "elect" not to be surprised at the people that would be saved before it's all said and done. IMHO that wasn't merely a message to the Jews about the gentiles. We should be glad for every souls Jesus might save, and we should be cautious for assuming others don't "deserve" salvation when we've done nothing to deserve it ourselves.

"Franklin Graham couldn't carry his fathers.... and i'll be kind, his shoe laces....not impressed"

That's the damn truth. Billy was a good man. His son...complete piece of trash!
Religion is a lot like politics. The bigger you get and the more money involved, the more corrupt it becomes.

Thoughts?
Link to the YouTube video expressing another way to heaven.

In reading some newspaper articles, it was stated that although Rev. Graham was a registered Democrat, he did not support JFK in the 1960 presidential election because Kennedy was Catholic.

Yet in 1986, he was part of the ecumenical program which Holderman put together (probably one of the few good things he did) at WB with the Pope. We all grow and learn throughout our lives. Amen.

In today's paper, there is a picture of Graham and Kennedy sitting together at a Catholic event, I think. But, looks like he accepted Kennedy after the election.

Then how did he end up being worth $25 million+?

Maybe because he didnt spend it and invested wisely. 25 million isnt much when you consider how much his ministry gave away to others in need. No one should have to apologize for success ... unless it comes from sheer greed or underhandedness.
With that said, I'm not sure Franklin is of the same mold as dad.

Reactions: cockofdawn
I'm not particularly into organized religion and rate most evangelists the same way I view door-to-door salesmen or TV pitchmen. In short, leave me be. If I want something, I'll go get it. Don't try to sell me what I don't want.

I say that to say this: Of all the famous preachers out there, Billy Graham seemed the most genuine to me. I think he walked the walk. And I can respect that. RIP.

Disclaimer: Though a quasi-Methodist/Southern Baptist by DNA, I do have a streak of agnosticism in me, and sometimes have threatened to become a Unitarian.

And I wish I had the staying power to learn Hinduism. I kind of like that way of looking at things.

Franklin Graham couldn't carry his fathers.... and i'll be kind, his shoe laces....not impressed
I don't know about his father's shoe laces, but if he can bring people to know
Franklin Graham couldn't carry his fathers.... and i'll be kind, his shoe laces....not impressed

I'm not interested about the shoe laces. But, I am interested in is how many people he can bring to JESUS CHRIST. You get it my friend. Remember GOD is love. And he loves you.

Last edited:
Reactions: FJRTiger
I don't know about his father's shoe laces, but if he can bring people to know

I'm not interested about the shoe laces. But, nI am interested in is how many people he can bring to JESUS CHRIST. You get it my friend. Remember GOD is love. And he loves you.

Hey not your friend.....
If anybody goes down that road hoping Franklin Graham can lead them to Christ, they'll only end up at a dead end.

They're better off looking for God on their own

Last edited:
If you're referring to the video you posted, I didn't hear him say Jesus isn't the path to God. He basically said that Jesus has the power to save even those that would deny Jesus in this world. And if God is all powerful and all loving that very well may be true. None of us knows exactly what happens when we shuffle off this mortal coil. You may recall Jesus had more than one parable warning the "elect" not to be surprised at the people that would be saved before it's all said and done. IMHO that wasn't merely a message to the Jews about the gentiles. We should be glad for every souls Jesus might save, and we should be cautious for assuming others don't "deserve" salvation when we've done nothing to deserve it ourselves.

His said people can be part of the body of Christ without being conscious of it. He also said they are going to heaven. Mr graham didn't quote any bible verses in his explanation. What he is saying is not biblical in my opinion. 1 john 5:7 says he that hath the Son hath life, and he who hath not the son of God hath not life. If you don't understand or agree with what the Bible says you are in great danger. The Bible is very clear you have to believe, be born again, and have a personal relationship with Christ. John 14:6 Jesus says no one cometh to the father except by me. He requires men to pick up their cross and follow him daily! People of other religions clearly do not meet this criteria!

His said people can be part of the body of Christ without being conscious of it. He also said they are going to heaven. Mr graham didn't quote any bible verses in his explanation. What he is saying is not biblical in my opinion. 1 john 5:7 says he that hath the Son hath life, and he who hath not the son of God hath not life. If you don't understand or agree with what the Bible says you are in great danger. The Bible is very clear you have to believe, be born again, and have a personal relationship with Christ. John 14:6 Jesus says no one cometh to the father except by me. He requires men to pick up their cross and follow him daily! People of other religions clearly do not meet this criteria!

With all due respect then, you are saying people who have never heard of Jesus and/or people of other religions that live according to the good teachings of that religion are going to hell? I find that difficult to digest.
The scripture has been passed down and translated so many times that any literal interpretation is ridiculously inaccurate.
Of course that's my opinion but others that refuse to accept people of other religions or beliefs as good people are as hypocritical as those whom Christians point fingers at for the exact same reason.

Reactions: punydevil
With all due respect then, you are saying people who have never heard of Jesus and/or people of other religions that live according to the good teachings of that religion are going to hell? I find that difficult to digest.
The scripture has been passed down and translated so many times that any literal interpretation is ridiculously inaccurate.
Of course that's my opinion but others that refuse to accept people of other religions or beliefs as good people are as hypocritical as those whom Christians point fingers at for the exact same reason.

I believe the Bible, sir. 2 timothy 3:16 says all scripture is given by the inspiration of God. My answer to your question is yes, and whether you can digest it or not, that's what the bible says. It doesn't make me a hypocrite.

No one is good on their own. All have sinned and have fallen short of God's glory. Because of this we all have a natural death sentence; however, due to Jesus Christ's work at the cross there is redemption through faith in Him.

I believe the Bible, sir. 2 timothy 3:16 says all scripture is given by the inspiration of God. My answer to your question is yes, and whether you can digest it or not, that's what the bible says. It doesn't make me a hypocrite.

No one is good on their own. All have sinned and have fallen short of God's glory. Because of this we all have a natural death sentence; however, due to Jesus Christ's work at the cross there is redemption through faith in Him.

So theoretically according to you if one goes through life living the best way he or she knows how but yet never has heard of Jesus Christ they are going to hell? I'm not talking about not accepting I'm talking about not even being exposed to.

We honor a man for his life time of work to spread the word of God and love...

If you don't like what the Reverend Graham has done, please feel free not to comment...
BG introduce many in the world to the gospel and to christianity. Those good works are counterbalanced by his anti-semitsm, his support of american wars since the korean conflict, and his alliance with j edgar hoover again martin luther king. Let's keep things in perspective.

Part of that is probably from land they own in Black Mountain and bought during the late 40s or early 50s. Price some land in Black Mountain today and you would think you are buying land in downtown Manhattan. The Billy Graham Organization has holding for their work that is performed at the Cove in Black Mountain and in Charlotte. But, if you see the Graham house in BM you would think they are on welfare.

Reactions: Cybercock

While we all appreciate your trying to imply that he was like many of the others, you need to do your fact checking. There’s a reason he was never accused of anything or there was no scandals in his ministry. He was the genuine article. And by the way he had a very successful book writing career. But we all know how we love to tear down someone who is successful.

Reactions: Cybercock
BG introduce many in the world to the gospel and to christianity. Those good works are counterbalanced by his anti-semitsm, his support of american wars since the korean conflict, and his alliance with j edgar hoover again martin luther king. Let's keep things in perspective.

You need to check for real facts. Also. When did supporting a war for just reasons make someone a bad person?

I guess I'll ask you the other question people usually ask of folks who read the Bible as a text to be taken literally. How old is the universe/the planet Earth? I know it's not a religion board but since we seem to be delving into that topic, I am curious to hear your answer.

I guess I'll ask you the other question people usually ask of folks who read the Bible as a text to be taken literally. How old is the universe/the planet Earth? I know it's not a religion board but since we seem to be delving into that topic, I am curious to hear your answer.

No one knows. They didn’t make birthday candles back then. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT