ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Runners / joggers

The best thing you can do is stop running for about a week. You can instead go for a nice walk around the neighborhood during this off time. Heat and ice and some Tylenol will also help relieve immediate pain. Rest is the best medicine though.

Difference between running and jogging. I used to be a distance runner. When I was 110 pounds lighter. But I was a twig in high school too when I ran cross country/track in high school and briefly in college before injuring my knee.

Last edited:
The only thing I ever did well as a runner was fix sore IT bands. Using the affected leg only, stand straight on a stair or other slightly elevated item of some sort, with the other leg hanging down. Keep the knee straight and move the dangling leg/hip straight down and up again several times and try to really feel your IT band working as you do it. Of course don't run while you are rehabbing, but it could be good in a just a few days if you are like me.

The only thing I ever did well as a runner was fix sore IT bands. Using the affected leg only, stand straight on a stair or other slightly elevated item of some sort, with the other leg hanging down. Keep the knee straight and move the dangling leg/hip straight down and up again several times and try to really feel your IT band working as you do it. Of course don't run while you are rehabbing, but it could be good in a just a few days if you are like me.
By the time I did all that I would be to tired to run.

Take yoga classes. Some are designed specifically for runners.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

@ Gsmecock1999, I have done a ton of reading on this subject and never once came across that stretch. Working wonders already, thanks!

If you see me running, then you better be runnin too cuz something is after us.

I had an old school first sergeant like that. Thought it was stupid we ran PT, unless something was chasing us or we were chasing it.

I'm a jogger. 20-25 miles a week sometimes. Helps me get away from the wife.

Last edited:
Reactions: heavycock
I had an old school drill sergeant like that. Thought it was stupid we ran PT, unless something was chasing us or we were chasing it.

I'm a jogger. 20-25 miles a week sometimes. Helps me get away from the wife.

LOL! Amen to that. I cut the grass on my riding mower reealllll sllllooowwwww.

Reactions: SCexpat38
When I have those issues, I usually start running with a knee strap, like a Cho-Pat strap. Then, I inspect my running shoes. My pain is usually tied to my shoes needing replacing. My final recommendation would be to consider modifying your running form. I switched to 4-mm drop shoes (i.e., Newton Gravity or Distance) to take advantage of a better midfoot strike. I used to be a heal-to-toe runner, but nowadays, my old cadaver's ligaments can't take the give and go anymore!

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

@ Gsmecock1999, I have done a ton of reading on this subject and never once came across that stretch. Working wonders already, thanks!
Awesome. I don't know if it's a matter of strengthening the IT band, generating some blood flow, or a little of both. But it was downright miraculous for me. No idea what site I found that on, but I remember doing a pretty deep dive to find it.

Knock on wood, I’m 66 and have never had any knee or leg problems in logging thousands of miles. During my runs I mix speeds and techniques up over a 4 or 5 mile distance. I will occasionally run a 10K as my max distance. I’m hoping to someday run a half- marathon. I rest my body every three or four days.
That's the way to do it. I wish I could run on the beach every morning as running in sand not only strengthens your legs, it's much better for your joints.

Reactions: hahnenkampf
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT