ADVERTISEMENT

OT: SC's Most "Iconic" Dish

I still think Salmon Stew is the most iconic...i've never seen it served anywhere else in the US...

I've mentioned it here in Tennessee over the years and no one has heard of it....

Hash may be iconic to SC...

How bout Pickled Peaches!!!!!

I still think Salmon Stew is the most iconic...i've never seen it served anywhere else in the US...

I've mentioned it here in Tennessee over the years and no one has heard of it....

Hash may be iconic to SC...

How bout Pickled Peaches!!!!!
I've lived in SC 54 of my 55 years, and I have never heard of Salmon stew. Salmon patties, maybe, but not salmon stew.

DNR? What's that? And I grew up in upstate SC to a very country family that's been in the state for 300 years. Never seen someone actually serve chicken bog. Had Frogmore Stew many times (though we call it low country boil). I will fight someone who says shrimp and grits are iconic. I never heard of them until I was visiting Charleston in college. I feel like they only blew up fairly recently, primarily when all the northerners started moving to the beach.

I feel like mustard BBQ, hash, or pimento cheese are much more South Carolina than these other dishes. Boiled peanuts are up there too. I think they're more distributed now, but nowhere are they as prevalent.
Chicken bog is a Pee Dee dish. My family is from Myrtle Beach/Marion area and it was served everywhere. Agreed about shrimp and grits. My grandma born and raised near Myrtle Beach has never had it or heard of it until I mentioned it. In that part of South Carolina near Myrtle, rice was the typical dish to be served with everything because of its roots in the rice industry.

Shrimp and Grits I believe is the best dish in South Carolina, but fried chicken comes in 2nd to me. I love going to these places all over South Carolina and find a hole in the wall that serves Fried Chicken. The best in the world, with real cooking grease. Some grocery store deli's may smell good with Fried Chicken, but they can't compare to these hole in the wall restaurants in these small towns, back roads as you drive through to get to the big cities.

My husband’s family makes rib rice when smoking ribs. Take spare ribs trim them to St. Louis ribs. Take the trimmings and boil in water until meat shreds easy. Shred the meat, strain the broth. Add celery, onions, Texas Pete, salt, pepper with rice ( 2:1 ratio) broth to rice. Cook til rice is done. Also tomato/onion gravy over grits as a side to fried fish.

Reactions: jroller
Recipe for Salmon Stew

Ingredients​

• 1 or 2 can(s)
    regular pink salmon deboned and skin removed but save the broth
  • 1 medium
    onion chopped small
  • 1 or 2 stick
    butter or margerine ( i prefer butter)
  • 1 or 2 qt
    regular milk (canned evaporated milk can be substituted if you like it better)
  • ·
    salt and pepper to taste

• cook for about 15 minutes on medium-medium high heat...

• I personally do not put onions in mine...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT