ADVERTISEMENT

OT Serious question

DaddyRooster

Jul 7, 2008
Going to Scotland next week. Do I order Scotch or just Whiskey? Sort of a take on what do you call Chinese food in China. Any particular brands that you would recommend? TIA

Scotland has a lot of small family distilleries. Most of which you can't get here and are much better than what you find here.

Yes, we have Locker Room. That used to be the place to go for BBQ and jokes etc. It's still there but not many use it.

Thanks guys.
Where in Scotland are you going? Intersting geograhy there. A cross between New England, Colorado, and the main Coast.

We had a car and drove through Glasgow and the Highlands, took a ferry to the Isle of Skye, stayed at some bed and breakfasts along Loch Ness and into Inverness. We then took an overnight train with a sleeper car into London.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaddyRooster
Where in Scotland are you going? Intersting geograhy there. A cross between New England, Colorado, and the main Coast.

We had a car and drove through Glasgow and the Highlands, took a ferry to the Isle of Skye, stayed at some bed and breakfasts along Loch Ness and into Inverness. We then took an overnight train with a sleeper car into London.
We're going to Inverness and Edinburgh. We have a day trip planned to Royal St. Andrews Golf Course. Looking forward to that. We're going to Dublin and Liverpool, also.

Reactions: wood90
Going to Scotland next week. Do I order Scotch or just Whiskey? Sort of a take on what do you call Chinese food in China. Any particular brands that you would recommend? TIA
Lived in Dunnoon Scotland in the 70's with my future wife, now ex, but the answer is johnny Walker. I'm not a big drinker, but the one time that pa-in-law poured the good stuff, I still can't believe the difference it made in the taste and the high. That was a long time ago, but I would wager that any old-timer will know where to get "The good stuff" as it was called and you won't find it just anywhere, and it's expensive but worth it. I bought a bottle to bring home and it got stolen. I kinda wish I was in your shoes just to go and drink some "Good Stuff" again. Have a time.

Agree with the other post. Would recommend trying their ale. Have only drank ale since 1978. Please note: some of their pubs are near the course. We invited the caddies for our group to join us for a pint. The pint turned into gallons, they like their ale. If you are playing St Andrews and are there on Sunday go out and play the putt putt next to the first tee. The whole town is there, real grass and fun to talk with the locals.

I was at the Highland Games in Grandfather Mountain. By tasting the scotch there are guys that can pinpoint to within 50 miles where it is made. Scotch takes some getting used to.

We're going to Inverness and Edinburgh. We have a day trip planned to Royal St. Andrews Golf Course. Looking forward to that. We're going to Dublin and Liverpool, also.
Going to Royal St Andrews should be great. It would kill me to go and not play there. Do you plan to play a round?

If you're going to Scotland, you should try an Islay scotch. Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Bowmore, Bunnahabhain. Personally, I find the stuff disgusting, like drinking rancid swamp water. But some people like the smoky, peaty taste, and it's definitely something unique in Scotland.

Edinburgh is awesome, by the way. I could spend a few weeks there without getting bored. Inverness is quiet and very nice, but don't do the Loch Ness thing unless you just want to go to a random lake for a day.

If you're going to Scotland, you should try an Islay scotch. Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Bowmore, Bunnahabhain. Personally, I find the stuff disgusting, like drinking rancid swamp water. But some people like the smoky, peaty taste, and it's definitely something unique in Scotland.

Edinburgh is awesome, by the way. I could spend a few weeks there without getting bored. Inverness is quiet and very nice, but don't do the Loch Ness thing unless you just want to go to a random lake for a day.
I plan to try as many different Scotch's as possible, to be honest I don't know enough to have a favorite. I can tell you some good bourbons and Canadian Whiskey. Thanks for the recommendation.

Dont we have an off topic forum for this nonsense?
You know you don't have to take the time to read or respond to a nonsense question, grow the *>>< up!
507007513aa0d7aa7b985677a4462ba0.jpg

Reactions: Anna_Nimmitty
1) In Scotland, its "whisky." Not "whiskey."
2) They'll know what you mean if you say "scotch," but they're generally going to call it "whisky"
3) Talisker and Macallan are my two favorites

Nothing nonsensical about scotch whisky.
Damn. Fellas, I'm just a beer guy. Budweiser, Corona, and that's about it!! I cannot drink liquor. My lungs stop inhaling oxygen and my heart beats like a bass drum. Two or three ales and I'm good to go for awhile!! Man, I'm a 50yearold wimp when it comes to Alcohol!!

Damn. Fellas, I'm just a beer guy. Budweiser, Corona, and that's about it!! I cannot drink liquor. My lungs stop inhaling oxygen and my heart beats like a bass drum. Two or three ales and I'm good to go for awhile!! Man, I'm a 50yearold wimp when it comes to Alcohol!!
Well, at least you're man enough to know your limits, some don't/won't!

ADVERTISEMENT