ADVERTISEMENT

OT Several dead after bridge collapses near Florida International University

world famous 3rd base hecklers

Sep 25, 2011
Someone said this bridge opened this past weekend...

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/15/several-dead-in-florida-bridge-collapse.html

A newly-installed pedestrian bridge has collapsed at Florida International University in the Miami area and Florida Highway Patrol officials have confirmed several fatalities to local NBC News affiliate WTVJ.

The 950-ton span fell Thursday afternoon at the university's main Miami-area campus. Video shows vehicles underneath the bridge were hit.

So far, five patients are being treated by Miami-Dade Fire Rescue. One of them was transported to trauma alert at Kendall Regional Hospital, WTVJ reports.

The 174 foot bridge was set to open in early 2019, to allow students to cross the busy roadway safely, according to WTVJ.

You don’t do a stress test with anyone around. Stupid.

And don't close the road too???? stupid is as stupid does..

giphy.gif

Reactions: yemacock
just glad I am not the engineer in charge.....:(

bridge using federal TIGER grant

https://reason.com/blog/2018/03/15/collapsed-fiu-bridge-was-funded-by-feder

In 2014, the GAO released a report that was highly critical of how DOT handled the TIGER V grants, which included money for the FIU pedestrian bridge project. The report said DOT advanced projects with lower technical ratings in lieu of those with higher technical ratings and upgraded the technical rating of 19 projects from acceptable or recommended to highly recommended without documenting a justification. It is unclear from the GAO report whether the FIU bridge project was advanced over more qualified projects or if its technical rating was subsequently upgraded, since the report does not give project-by-project detail.

bridge using federal TIGER grant

https://reason.com/blog/2018/03/15/collapsed-fiu-bridge-was-funded-by-feder

In 2014, the GAO released a report that was highly critical of how DOT handled the TIGER V grants, which included money for the FIU pedestrian bridge project. The report said DOT advanced projects with lower technical ratings in lieu of those with higher technical ratings and upgraded the technical rating of 19 projects from acceptable or recommended to highly recommended without documenting a justification. It is unclear from the GAO report whether the FIU bridge project was advanced over more qualified projects or if its technical rating was subsequently upgraded, since the report does not give project-by-project detail.
Well I am also glad I wasn't the 'engineer' ( or bureaucrat) who arbitrarily upgraded these projects. Lots of time projects like these are made substandard due to the "correct and safe way" is not as pleasing to the eye. I would rather have a safe ugly bridge than one that kills people. Sorry about the deaths but glad it didn't happen next year with 300 students on it.

Reactions: rogue cock
Way to early to asses blame, but with computer models now in use, it would be unlikely (not impossible) for this to be an engineering issue. The General Contractor will most likely get a thorough investigation. The GC is for all intents and purposes in charge of construction, materials, crews & scheduling, etc
With that said hard to imagine someone in their car just driving home minding their own business and within seconds they have either lost their life or desperately clinging to life.
This type of accident can literally happen to anyone at anytime
Horrible

Last edited:
Reactions: NCGamcockFan2167
Way to early to asses blame, but with computer models now in use, it would be unlikely (not impossible) for this to be an engineering issue. The General Contractor will most likely get a thorough investigation. The GC is for all intents and purposes in charge of construction, materials, crews & scheduling, etc
With that said hard to imagine someone in their car just driving home minding their own business and within seconds they have either lost their life or desperately clinging to life.
Horrible

I'm sure you're right and I'm sure the contractor blame a subcontractor and they will blame a site manager, and they will blame supervisor and some poor hourly guy that is unsafisticated and can't afford a good lawyer will do the time.

Horrible

You can bet it was the lower bidder that got the contract...

I'm sure you're right and I'm sure the contractor blame a subcontractor and they will blame a site manager, and they will blame supervisor and some poor hourly guy that is unsafisticated and can't afford a good lawyer will do the time.
All will be sued under joint and several liability....and the insurance companies will settle. This one won't see the inside of a courtroom.

Last edited:
There was a center support and cable superstructure that was yet to be installed. In other words, it would have looked like the Ravenel bridge in Charleston when it was done. Like most construction nowadays, they went heavy on concrete and light on steel. They were also trying to show off that they could build the bridge without stopping traffic. The bridge was in a fragile state when they decided to start testing it.

There was a center support and cable superstructure that was yet to be installed. In other words, it would have looked like the Ravenel bridge in Charleston when it was done. Like most construction nowadays, they went heavy on concrete and light on steel. They were also trying to show off that they could build the bridge without stopping traffic. The bridge was in a fragile state when they decided to start testing it.
You would think they would install cables as they go. If I was family of the dead I would be owning a construction company before this is over.

I heard that the engineer called and left a message with the State's DOT on March 13th that there are some cracks in the beams...

The State DOT person didn't hear the message until after the bridge collapsed...

Who leaves messages?? Who doesn't check messages???

Another Florida FU in two months...

Horrible

You can bet it was the lower bidder that got the contract...

Or minority/female contractors given preference...

Or minority/female contractors given preference...

Easy to see why you have so few 'likes' with such a left field comment.

Due diligence in bidding is still the prosecutor's responsibility. And the real issue is inadequate isolation of the bridge during construction and testing. Ever hear of SAFETY first?

Reactions: rogue cock
Easy to see why you have so few 'likes' with such a left field comment.

Due diligence in bidding is still the prosecutor's responsibility. And the real issue is inadequate isolation of the bridge during construction and testing. Ever hear of SAFETY first?

'Procurement party'

No kidding, i saw a guy the other day wearing a "If it aint swayin, we aint playin" tee shirt. It reminded me that we were actually pretty fortunate that the upper east did not collapse. I was there, it was really moving.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT