ADVERTISEMENT

OT- should marijuana be legalized?

Legalize?

• Yes

Votes: 148 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 37 20.0%

• Total voters
My buddy who's a cop has said he would rather deal with 10 potheads than one drunk. He has yet to be called on a domestic call where a couple was smoking pot then got in a fight. It always couple who were drinking then started fighting each other.
I am sure that is true for most cops! It does not inebriate someone to where they are incapable of operating a vehicle safely nearly to the degree of alcohol either! Not saying it makes you a “better” driver… but I have been drunk to the point I could barely WALK let alone drive… you could smoke a trash bag full of dope and not get that wasted.

It is technically almost impossible to overdose on weed also. You can take like 0.1 mg too much of fentanyl and die, but that is “legal”?!? WTF?

My buddy who's a cop has said he would rather deal with 10 potheads than one drunk. He has yet to be called on a domestic call where a couple was smoking pot then got in a fight. It always couple who were drinking then started fighting each other.
It may just be the company I keep in my older age, but I feel like I hear far fewer stories about people getting busted for pot alone than I used to. It's almost as if in many jurisdictions where it's still illegal, an unofficial policy of toleration for it has arisen, as long as people aren't too flagrant about it.

I give cops a lot of crap generally, but I'll give some of them an attaboy here for leaving peaceful people alone and presumably focusing on more serious crimes.

It may just be the company I keep in my older age, but I feel like I hear far fewer stories about people getting busted for pot alone than I used to. It's almost as if in many jurisdictions where it's still illegal, an unofficial policy of toleration for it has arisen, as long as people aren't too flagrant about it.

I give cops a lot of crap generally, but I'll give some of them an attaboy here for leaving peaceful people alone and presumably focusing on more serious crimes.
I think they use it as an excuse to arrest people when they want to for some other reason more than they arrest people simply for pot. Generally if you are not a dbag to the cops and they catch you with a little dope they will just take it, at most write you a ticket… Not that I would know personally… 👀

I am sure that is true for most cops! It does not inebriate someone to where they are incapable of operating a vehicle safely nearly to the degree of alcohol either! Not saying it makes you a “better” driver… but I have been drunk to the point I could barely WALK let alone drive… you could smoke a trash bag full of dope and not get that wasted.

It is technically almost impossible to overdose on weed also. You can take like 0.1 mg too much of fentanyl and die, but that is “legal”?!? WTF?
I agree with what you're saying, but for me the degree of danger to the user is irrelevant to the question of whether something should be legal.

Your body is your property, so if you want to commit suicide by destroying it with poisons, that should be your right.

I agree with what you're saying, but for me the degree of danger to the user is irrelevant to the question of whether something should be legal.

Your body is your property, so if you want to commit suicide by destroying it with poisons, that should be your right.
I disagree- the dangers if drugs to the user are commonly brought up as a reason they should be illegal. It is totally relevant.. what reasons then are there for any drug to be illegal? The dangers to society? Like drinking and driving? Help me understand what you mean please.

Then why must I the taxpayer pay for rehab, medical care etc., for someone who choses to poison themselves?

Then why must I the taxpayer pay for rehab, medical care etc., for someone who choses to poison themselves?
Just remember that every time a drunken driver kills someone, causes damage to other's property, and is incarcerated as a result, YOU the taxpayer are paying for his incarceration. And, alcohol is LEGAL.

I disagree- the dangers if drugs to the user are commonly brought up as a reason they should be illegal. It is totally relevant.. what reasons then are there for any drug to be illegal? The dangers to society? Like drinking and driving? Help me understand what you mean please.
I'm just saying that it shouldn't be illegal to harm yourself. But yes, maybe if there were a drug that, say, demonstrably increased someone's propensity for violence, then there might be a better case for banning that.

Reactions: cocks rule
You have never paid for anyone to go to weed rehab.
My favorite quote from “Half Baked”- when he went to the drugs annonymous group and says he was there for a pot addiction- Bob Saget gets all mad:
“I used to suck d—- for crack! You ever suck som d—- for marijuana!?!”

(sorry, I know that is crass, but it was HILARIOUS!!)

Smoking that crap is bad for the lungs; probably causes lung cancer. If not cancer, certainly COPD.
It causes none of those things for the average person. Also, weed doesn't have to be smoked. There are many delivery systems. I've smoked it but I've also eaten it in cookies, gummies and candy bars. Your lack of knowledge of the issue is what's holding you back. I had two knee replacements in 2018. With the first I used opioids. Sucked. They lasted 4 hours and I was up at 2 am watching It's Always Sunny reruns until I made myself take another one. With the second I used THC edibles. One before bed, slept well, no problems. Get educated.

I'm just saying that it shouldn't be illegal to harm yourself. But yes, maybe if there were a drug that, say, demonstrably increased someone's propensity for violence, then there might be a better case for banning that.
Correct, I agree. Cocaine, and many forms of methamphetamine do just that, they are also horribly addictive and easy to OD on. I am somewhat open to decriminalizing drugs in general but I don’t think coke and meth should be freely available for recreational use. I am fine with marijuana dispensaries and allowing folks to buy seeds and grow their own. I do not want crack or meth available to everyone to purchase at the corner store! JMHO

It causes none of those things for the average person. Also, weed doesn't have to be smoked. There are many delivery systems. I've smoked it but I've also eaten it in cookies, gummies and candy bars. Your lack of knowledge of the issue is what's holding you back. I had two knee replacements in 2018. With the first I used opioids. Sucked. They lasted 4 hours and I was up at 2 am watching It's Always Sunny reruns until I made myself take another one. With the second I used THC edibles. One before bed, slept well, no problems. Get educated.
I think that's why he said smoking- not eating. Inhaling combustible by-product is absolutely dangerous. The extreme heat is harmful to your respiratory system, never mind the particulates. Should it be legal? Sure.

I think that's why he said smoking- not eating. Inhaling combustible by-product is absolutely dangerous. The extreme heat is harmful to your respiratory system, never mind the particulates. Should it be legal? Sure.
But he uses the smoking argument to justify why it shouldn't be legal. Sen. Davis' bill would not even allow smokable weed.

Reactions: Lakecock1
Let's make cocaine, fentanyl, heroin, LSD and hallucinations legal too. A drugged mind on the street is super.

I'm opposed. I'm not opposed for medicinal purposes. Lots of other accepted medicinal drugs shouldn't be uncontrolled on the street, either, and are not.

Reactions: ansoncock
No, the stuff that you listed can actually kill you from an overdose including alcohol and water. If would be very rare to die from overdosing on Cannabis.
Read a report on the damage it does on the brains of pre 25 year olds. We wonder what's wrong with the young generation. It can mess with the heart and heart rhythm. Is there anything out there that is a safe drug? If it helps cancer patients, sure let them have what ever they want.

When Cannabis comes legal in all 50 states, chances are you will purchase from a dispensary in which the product will be clean and not contaminated. With Marijuana being currently illegal for recreational use to roughly about 30 states, some people may be buying from dealers in which the product could be laced with something deadly.

Let's make cocaine, fentanyl, heroin, LSD and hallucinations legal too. A drugged mind on the street is super.
First LSD is highly therapeutic, as are mushrooms and MDMA, for the treatment of various issues like PTSD, depression and anxiety. They should be legalized for prescription use. The dangers of these drugs are from unregulated street usage. Heroin is an opioid. Opioids make tons of money for corporations with shareholders but it's prescribed as Oxy or some other iteration so we're cool with it at some level. It has highly addictive properties that do not exist with weed, mushrooms or LSD. Cocaine. No it shouldn't be legal. People who regularly use coke need to be punched in their snotboxes. Fentanyl. No. It killed Tom Petty, Heath Ledger and Prince. F that stuff.

Read a report on the damage it does on the brains of pre 25 year olds. We wonder what's wrong with the young generation. It can mess with the heart and heart rhythm. Is there anything out there that is a safe drug? If it helps cancer patients, sure let them have what ever they want.
Yes, if you are very young and use Marijuana it could hamper the development of the brain. Their is a lot of food that people put in their bodies everyday that could have consequences.

Reactions: cocks rule
Legal or not it’s been readily available everywhere I’ve been since the 70’s. The only thing legalizing it does is give the government more tax money. Either way It’s not going away.
I assume the price would drastically decline if it were legal, because then it could be produced on an industrial scale like tobacco and vegetables.

Reactions: rogue cock
But he uses the smoking argument to justify why it shouldn't be legal. Sen. Davis' bill would not even allow smokable weed.
Right. He's saying people that smoke weed run the risk of contracting illnesses that put financial burdens on other taxpayers. Your retort was smoking didn't cause those things- which it certainly does.

ADVERTISEMENT