ADVERTISEMENT

OT- should marijuana be legalized?

Legalize?

• Yes

Votes: 148 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 37 20.0%

• Total voters
I did not say everything is about race. Marijuana prohibition IS though. I am not condoning the Black Panthers, insinuating I am is ridiculous.
Educate yourself before you come at me, I am no race baiter. The facts are it was made illegal in the US as propaganda to combat a flood of Mexican immigration.
“Harry Anslinger took the scientifically unsupported idea of marijuana as a violence-inducing drug, connected it to black and Hispanic people, and created a perfect package of terror to sell to the American media and public. By emphasizing the Spanish word marihuana instead of cannabis, he created a strong association between the drug and the newly arrived Mexican immigrants who helped popularize it in the States. He also created a narrative around the idea that cannabis made black people forget their place in society. He pushed the idea that jazz was evil music created by people under the influence of marijuana.”
Yeah I generally view claims of "systemic racism" with eyerolling skepticism, but this is one area where that notion may actually have some legs.

Reactions: heavycock
The bible says to be sober-minded and self controlled, so no I don't think it should be legal, Alcohol and Tobacco should be illegal too, but criminals don't care about laws.
So Jesus was a criminal? Because the bible also says that he drank wine and wait for it............he even made it! I guess he was an early bootlegger by your definition. I love people who find a quote from the bible to support an opinion they have, it's always too easy to expose them. Biggest fakes in the world today.

Last edited:
Have you ever been to a place where it's legal? No "schwag" type weed exists. It's high end stuff with the day's specials written on a chalkboard like a microbrewery
My post was a reference to the DooDoo ice that used to be sold at Williams Brice in your drinks and in response to a poster who said "Imagine being able to buy a fatty to smoke during halftime" My thought was I wondered how USC would manage to mess up the fatty like they did the soft drink ice. Thanks for playing

No, if they taxed it too much, people would just go back to buying it on the black market. It wouldn't get MORE expensive. It's already outrageously expensive considering it's an easy-to-grow weed, and the only reason for this is because prohibition makes it risky to produce, transport, and market.
That’s exactly what has already happened in California, Oregon and Washington. The black market is booming! It’s much cheaper than the pot stores. No overhead, no taxes, no regulation etc. Government causes everything to be inefficient and cost prohibitive. IE USPO and health insurance.

My post was a reference to the DooDoo ice that used to be sold at Williams Brice in your drinks and in response to a poster who said "Imagine being able to buy a fatty to smoke during halftime" My thought was I wondered how USC would manage to mess up the fatty like they did the soft drink ice. Thanks for playing
Thx for dropping by tater.

The bible says to be sober-minded and self controlled, so no I don't think it should be legal, Alcohol and Tobacco should be illegal too, but criminals don't care about laws.
My bible says no such thing. Religion should have no bearing on what is/isn't legal.

I told a young friend recently about the Blue Laws we had to endure while I was a kid in SC. She couldn't believe it so she asked her dad, who told her "That was back in the good old days. Those laws should still be on the books." Ummm... my friend was arrested for selling a frying pan because of those laws. Live your own religious life but don't try to force it on others.

8 years ago I lost my mother to cancer. One of my relatives had mailed her some weed to help her deal with the symptoms of her cancer. She never opened the box, it simply sat on a shelf in our kitchen. After her death we had an incident at the house and the police stopped by. As the officer entered our kitchen it was obvious that he (along with everyone else) could smell the weed. Knowing that we had just lost mom to cancer, he didn't even mention it.

Make it legal. I don't use it but know people who do. I've never seen it cause a problem or incite violence yet it has many beneficial effects.

That’s exactly what has already happened in California, Oregon and Washington. The black market is booming! It’s much cheaper than the pot stores. No overhead, no taxes, no regulation etc. Government causes everything to be inefficient and cost prohibitive. IE USPO and health insurance.
Oh I agree completely. However there are degrees of intervention, and taxation and regulation, while bad, are somewhat less bad than outright prohibition.

I think they use it as an excuse to arrest people when they want to for some other reason more than they arrest people simply for pot. Generally if you are not a dbag to the cops and they catch you with a little dope they will just take it, at most write you a ticket… Not that I would know personally… 👀
EGG(inthecopsfaces)ZACKLY!!!!

Now not all cops fall within such category by a llooonnnnggggh shot!! But WE ALL KNOW that some certainly do! Lord, the factual stories I could tell in regards to 3 fellas that I grew up with that are/were cops nowadays - and I do mean State Level positions that they fill or once filled for one in particular!! That one one in particular even has a last name that matched the SC county where he/we grew up together!!

Last edited:
Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I did not say everything is about race. Marijuana prohibition IS though. I am not condoning the Black Panthers, insinuating I am is ridiculous.
Educate yourself before you come at me, I am no race baiter. The facts are it was made illegal in the US as propaganda to combat a flood of Mexican immigration.
“Harry Anslinger took the scientifically unsupported idea of marijuana as a violence-inducing drug, connected it to black and Hispanic people, and created a perfect package of terror to sell to the American media and public. By emphasizing the Spanish word marihuana instead of cannabis, he created a strong association between the drug and the newly arrived Mexican immigrants who helped popularize it in the States. He also created a narrative around the idea that cannabis made black people forget their place in society. He pushed the idea that jazz was evil music created by people under the influence of marijuana.”
Prohibition of alcohol went into effect in 1920 and bans on similar "fun" were swept along with that. Racial tensions in the western states that you cite were really not the cause of the bans. It may have been seized on after the fact as a useful tool to combat immigration, but it clearly was not the motivation. From wikipedia, note that Mexican immigration did not start until well after the Revolution in Mexico in 1910:

The first instance was in the District of Columbia in 1906, under "An act to regulate the practice of pharmacy and the sale of poisons in the District of Columbia, and for other purposes". The act was updated in 1938 to the Federal Pure Food, Drug, and Cosmetics Act of 1938 which remains in effect even today, creating a legal paradox for federal sentencing. Under this act, the framework for prescription and non-prescription drugs and foods are set, along with standards as well as the enforcing agency, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). "Goods found in violation of the law were subject to seizure and destruction at the expense of the manufacturer. That, combined with a legal requirement that all convictions be published (Notices of Judgment), proved to be important tools in the enforcement of the statute and had a deterrent effect upon would-be violators." Marijuana remains under this law defined as a "dangerous drug".

Further regulation of cannabis followed in Massachusetts (1911), New York (1914), and Maine (1914). In New York, reform legislation began under the Towns-Boylan Act, which targeted all "habit-forming drugs", restricted their sale, prohibited refills in order to prevent habituation, prohibited sale to people with a habit, and prohibited doctors who were themselves habituated from selling them. Shortly after, several amendments were passed by the New York Board of Health, including adding cannabis to the list of habit-forming drugs.

So it was being banned in all those North Eastern states where Mexican immigration was not a factor.

So Jesus was a criminal? Because the bible also says that he drank wine and wait for it............he also made it! I guess he was an early bootlegger by your definition. I love people who find a quote from the bible to support an opinion they have, it's always too easy to expose them. Biggest fakes in the world today.

Reactions: Gaimcock
Prohibition of alcohol went into effect in 1920 and bans on similar "fun" were swept along with that. Racial tensions in the western states that you cite were really not the cause of the bans. It may have been seized on after the fact as a useful tool to combat immigration, but it clearly was not the motivation. From wikipedia, note that Mexican immigration did not start until well after the Revolution in Mexico in 1910:

The first instance was in the District of Columbia in 1906, under "An act to regulate the practice of pharmacy and the sale of poisons in the District of Columbia, and for other purposes". The act was updated in 1938 to the Federal Pure Food, Drug, and Cosmetics Act of 1938 which remains in effect even today, creating a legal paradox for federal sentencing. Under this act, the framework for prescription and non-prescription drugs and foods are set, along with standards as well as the enforcing agency, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). "Goods found in violation of the law were subject to seizure and destruction at the expense of the manufacturer. That, combined with a legal requirement that all convictions be published (Notices of Judgment), proved to be important tools in the enforcement of the statute and had a deterrent effect upon would-be violators." Marijuana remains under this law defined as a "dangerous drug".

Further regulation of cannabis followed in Massachusetts (1911), New York (1914), and Maine (1914). In New York, reform legislation began under the Towns-Boylan Act, which targeted all "habit-forming drugs", restricted their sale, prohibited refills in order to prevent habituation, prohibited sale to people with a habit, and prohibited doctors who were themselves habituated from selling them. Shortly after, several amendments were passed by the New York Board of Health, including adding cannabis to the list of habit-forming drugs.

So it was being banned in all those North Eastern states where Mexican immigration was not a factor.
That does nothing to disprove or counter what I said. The movement that lead to nationwide prohibition of marijuana was the direct result of the portion I quoted from the article I sighted and it was very much rooted in racist propaganda. The implementation of the prohibition has been rife with selective use to target specific minority groups ever since, but those instances are too numerous and wide reaching to easily site. I am not one to pull the race card unless it is an obvious instance of bias and this is once such instance.

I think that's a safe assumption.

ih7kp8s-m0qgspecrytpbw.png

Honestly I can't think of ANY issue during my lifetime where public opinion has swung so dramatically.
I was going to mention this once we got a decent number of votes but you can see the percentage in favor of legalization in this very poll is similar to/ even higher than the national sentiment… In a world of such violent political division how can such a widely popular idea not be brought to fruition at a national level? It has to change at some point and I hope it is sooner rather than later as we have never needed to add a new hugely profitable industry to bear more than we need it now.

Sorry, been on FGF long enough I should have picked that up

I certainly agree that stuff in general is regulated and taxed too much, but I don't really understand this objection in the context of the pot legalization debate.

Currently it's taxed at >100%. Not only is the full amount confiscated on discovery, but additional penalties are levied. Even taxing at an excise rate would constitute a massive improvement in terms of freedom versus the status quo.
Not sure I follow you. You say currently its taxed at 100% but what (far less than 1%?) are actually caught and pay such a "tax"? Seems to me the "tax" seen by individuals as a whole is next to nothing. In other words, yeah one guy may pay 100+% if caught but 100, 200, 500 or whatever pay nothing because they arent? I dont see how that adds up to a 100% tax.

Thx for dropping by tater.
You deduced I was a Tater because I made a comment about DooDoo Ice ? You certainly must be new to the board. There was a long running thread on DooDoo Ice, Birds got into the ice system and someone wasn't cleaning the ice bins, hence DooDoo ice. I got my degree from Carolina in 75 and have been a supporter since. I was probably a Gamecock before you were a gleam in your Daddy's eye.

You deduced I was a Tater because I made a comment about DooDoo Ice ? You certainly must be new to the board. There was a long running thread on DooDoo Ice, Birds got into the ice system and someone wasn't cleaning the ice bins, hence DooDoo ice. I got my degree from Carolina in 75 and have been a supporter since. I was probably a Gamecock before you were a gleam in your Daddy's eye.
I love when people accuse someone with 15+ years on here of "tater!!!"

Not sure I follow you. You say currently its taxed at 100% but what (far less than 1%?) are actually caught and pay such a "tax"? Seems to me the "tax" seen by individuals as a whole is next to nothing. In other words, yeah one guy may pay 100+% if caught but 100, 200, 500 or whatever pay nothing because they arent? I dont see how that adds up to a 100% tax.
Yeah that was some fuzzy math at best… even the supposed >100% tax only makes sense if the government were confiscating, processing and reselling the product which obviously they are not. As such, calling confiscation a tax is inaccurate since the entire reason a government charges taxes is to make money to fund it’s projects. Since they do not in any way shape or form make profit from the war on drugs- in fact the sink billions upon billions fruitlessly into this futile hole in the ground- it is the exact opposite of a tax.

Again the net benefit of ending this war on drugs would be the billions upon billions wasted annually to fight something (we should not be fighting in the first place) would not longer need to be spent (and something like 1/10th of that budget could set up treatment facilities in every state in America)- but we would also suddenly have a new HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS OF DOLLARS revenue producing industry the government could tax. How people cannot see this beyond me!

Reactions: bucketdad
That does nothing to disprove or counter what I said. The movement that lead to nationwide prohibition of marijuana was the direct result of the portion I quoted from the article I sighted and it was very much rooted in racist propaganda. The implementation of the prohibition has been rife with selective use to target specific minority groups ever since, but those instances are too numerous and wide reaching to easily site. I am not one to pull the race card unless it is an obvious instance of bias and this is once such instance.
Since the movement to prohibit marijuana clearly started before the influx of immigration, I will have to disagree. No doubt once large amounts of immigration from Mexico started after the revolution there, racist propaganda was used, but the cannabis prohibition movement had started well before and was tied to alcohol prohibition.

I guess my point is I don't see why you would complain about it being regulated and taxed when the alternative is confiscation, fines, and/or jail. I mean, sure, it would be great if it were a completely free market, but we can still recognize legalization as an improvement over the status quo.

Reactions: bucketdad
The fact Marijuana is still not universally legal for recreational use, and alcohol is, is as absurd an example of how stupidly government works as anything you're ever apt to see.
Was it solely a dumb govt? Or was there lobbying from "big alcohol"? (Yes, I just made that up)

But I vaguely recall something about the anti dope propoganda being fueled by competition.

I guess my point is I don't see why you would complain about it being regulated and taxed when the alternative is confiscation, fines, and/or jail. I mean, sure, it would be great if it were a completely free market, but we can still recognize legalization as an improvement over the status quo.
I dont really disagree. For the record, I didnt mean to sound like I was complaining. I was conceding legalizing is probably the only path forward so as to not penalize for possession and you cant have that and continue to allow the black market to exist. Personally, I wish it could but that's not how things work. That's why I stated "reluctantly" leaning toward leagalization.

Was it solely a dumb govt? Or was there lobbying from "big alcohol"? (Yes, I just made that up)

But I vaguely recall something about the anti dope propoganda being fueled by competition.
The government passes the laws.
They bought, and to some extent continue to buy, into the false anti-marijuana propaganda.
All while taking billions over the years from the lobbyists for alcohol companies.
450,000 people die every year from alcohol related illnesses.
Not to mention the number of deaths (DUIs, domestic issues) where alcohol is involved.
All people who smoke the green wanna do is laugh and chill 😁

Reactions: Gaimcock
Since the movement to prohibit marijuana clearly started before the influx of immigration, I will have to disagree. No doubt once large amounts of immigration from Mexico started after the revolution there, racist propaganda was used, but the cannabis prohibition movement had started well before and was tied to alcohol prohibition.
Only in a select few states though- in essence it was a states rights issue until Federal prohibition was implemented which is fair and reasonable. Much more reasonable than the current set up where it is still Federally illegal but they just kind of ignore it… Unless they decide NOT to ignore it at times, or something..? Sure it is possible that federal prohibition would have still happened without the afore mentioned racist propaganda train that pushed it, but how likely? We will never know. Ultimately it was clearly motivated by nefarious intent based on false science and has been prosecuted unfairly for nearly 100 years since. It is certainly time for change- the racist origins are only part of the reason why..

This is 100% true. The government is a puppet of the industries that have the deepest pockets. Alcohol and tobacco being two of the biggest. You think alcohol companies want a recreational alternative that is fun, easy to consume and leaves the user with no hangovers? Of course not- unless they can buy into it and control the market. So the initial reaction is to reject it, then delay until they can buy up distribution rights and get beverage licensing to allow them to control large portions of the market. Make no mistake, when it is legalized, big tobacco and alcohol companies will buy up as many of the major players in the market as they can and we will be buying “Marlboro” joints and “Budweiser” weed beverages.

Fist the push to keep it legal:

Then, a few years later they started figuring out how to get into the market:

Next step- get public sentiment on their side by covertly pushing propaganda to get people on the side of legalization (see the sudden uptick in positive public sentiment in recent years).. Bext their lobby money will shift to encourage legalization and suddenly it will be passed one day… The kicker that will allow them to take full control of the market will come as soon as the FDA can get involved. It takes tons of money to bring any drug or alcohol product to market and get it approved by the FDA. These cannabis companies will not be able to afford to do that with umpteen different edibles and strains and type of delivery methods.. Guess who can afford that??

Dear Snoop Dogg

all I want for Christmas is
Dear Willie Nelson
Ummm.

should we check with Shoe & make sure this thread isn’t political, I mean if we were in Denver or Vegas or the Caribbean I think it’s just a profitable plant

no it shouldn't be legal in our state, go to colorado if you want to do that. I know the majority of people who voted don't live here or do those illegal drugs themselves. not in our state.

• Haha
My bible says no such thing. Religion should have no bearing on what is/isn't legal.

I told a young friend recently about the Blue Laws we had to endure while I was a kid in SC. She couldn't believe it so she asked her dad, who told her "That was back in the good old days. Those laws should still be on the books." Ummm... my friend was arrested for selling a frying pan because of those laws. Live your own religious life but don't try to force it on others.

8 years ago I lost my mother to cancer. One of my relatives had mailed her some weed to help her deal with the symptoms of her cancer. She never opened the box, it simply sat on a shelf in our kitchen. After her death we had an incident at the house and the police stopped by. As the officer entered our kitchen it was obvious that he (along with everyone else) could smell the weed. Knowing that we had just lost mom to cancer, he didn't even mention it.

Make it legal. I don't use it but know people who do. I've never seen it cause a problem or incite violence yet it has many beneficial effects.
the bible is the bible, whatever it says isn't up to interpretation. "be-sober minded and self controlled" is pretty clear on this issue and Gov. McMaster knows this and would never allow this to happen.

• Haha
no it shouldn't be legal in our state, go to colorado if you want to do that. I know the majority of people who voted don't live here or do those illegal drugs themselves. not in our state.
It's going to happen. Might be 5 years. Might be 10. SC will probably be one of the last holdouts. But it's coming.

Legalize all of it; crack, meth, fentanyl and heroin. Let people chose their path with free will! It will eliminate most crime and put the Mexican cartels out of business. A cartel free Mexico will give their citizens a chance at a better life there, they will not have to come here Illegally.

Legalize all of it; crack, meth, fentanyl and heroin. Let people chose their path with free will! It will eliminate most crime and put the Mexican cartels out of business. A cartel free Mexico will give their citizens a chance at a better life there, they will not have to come here Illegally.
see, legalize weed and they will next push for meth to be legal, it will never stop. this is why you don't ever give in to the mob, they always want more and are never satisfied.

• Haha
we can be like San Francisco next and have needles in the streets for our children to play with, aren't drugs great! legalize meth what could go wrong? seriously evil.

If it were legalized, controlled and taxed we would have far less crime in SC. It would put many dealers out of business and our prisons would be less crowded. It's not a gateway drug but if widely available it could reduce opioid and other addictions. The medical benefits for pain and seizure control are well established.
just like utopia San Francisco right? Their lax drug laws are working terrifically! :rolleyes:

see, legalize weed and they will next push for meth to be legal, it will never stop. this is why you don't ever give in to the mob, they always want more and are never satisfied.
In my experience there are some people who have addictive personalities. There is nothing you can do about it. Look at poor Hunter Biden, the Presidents kid, addicted to crack or meth so bad he is smoking crumbs he found in the carpet thinking they are drugs. It is sad that any guy or gal with this addiction cannot get good safe crack to smoke. Your Dad is the President and you have to smoke parmigiana cheese? When the DEA is sitting on tons of the stuff they could give away? Sad!!!

For me the real issue is the surveillance state the Feds have created with the war on drugs where they can invade you privacy, seize your assets, harass you for no good reason using the war on drugs as an excuse. Stop your car and do a warrant less search based on the profile that you are driving a car on I-95? Stop you for no good reason and seize all of your cash. It is ridiculous, give the druggies the drugs, it does not cost much to produce them.

I think it's a lot more evil to grab peaceful people and throw them into cages.
drugs are extremely addictive and destroy lives, don't do them. Actions have consequences, it is WRONG to get high, if you believe different, then you have to believe that there is no right and wrong, which is your problem not mine.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT