OT- should marijuana be legalized?

Legalize?

• Yes

Votes: 148 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 37 20.0%

• Total voters
If we're moving towards public healthcare, we should not legalize illicit drug

Right. He's saying people that smoke weed run the risk of contracting illnesses that put financial burdens on other taxpayers. Your retort was smoking didn't cause those things- which it certainly does.
You're dead wrong. He said it causes lung cancer or COPD. I said it does not for the average person.
"However, while a few small, uncontrolled studies have suggested that heavy, regular marijuana smoking could increase risk for respiratory cancers, well-designed population studies have failed to find an increased risk of lung cancer associated with marijuana use." --https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/what-are-marijuanas-effects-lung-health
"Tashkin says these studies controlled for other factors including cigarette smoking and found that marijuana smoking, even among heavy users, did not seem to elevate risk for developing either COPD or lung cancer." --https://health.usnews.com/health-care/patient-advice/articles/2017-11-24/is-there-a-connection-between-copd-and-marijuana-smoking

You're dead wrong. He said it causes lung cancer or COPD. I said it does not for the average person.
"However, while a few small, uncontrolled studies have suggested that heavy, regular marijuana smoking could increase risk for respiratory cancers, well-designed population studies have failed to find an increased risk of lung cancer associated with marijuana use." --https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/what-are-marijuanas-effects-lung-health
"Tashkin says these studies controlled for other factors including cigarette smoking and found that marijuana smoking, even among heavy users, did not seem to elevate risk for developing either COPD or lung cancer." --https://health.usnews.com/health-care/patient-advice/articles/2017-11-24/is-there-a-connection-between-copd-and-marijuana-smoking
You can continue to pretend it's healthy, that's fine.

And you can continue to deny science and change the topic.
I'm not denying anything. You posted something that says it may cause cancer in heavy users. Ok. What's heavy use? What are other scientists saying? You're cherry picking what you want to hear.

I'm not denying anything. You posted something that says it may cause cancer in heavy users. Ok. What's heavy use? What are other scientists saying? You're cherry picking what you want to hear.
My original response to him was that the average user faced no increased risk of lung cancer or COPD. You said I was wrong. I gave you my proof. Where's yours?

First of all, you don't have proof of anything.
But here's something from the internets for you.

Like tobacco smoke, marijuana smoke is an irritant to the throat and lungs and can cause a heavy cough during use. It also contains levels of volatile chemicals and tar that are similar to tobacco smoke, raising concerns about risk for cancer and lung disease.67

First of all, you don't have proof of anything.
But here's something from the internets for you.

Like tobacco smoke, marijuana smoke is an irritant to the throat and lungs and can cause a heavy cough during use. It also contains levels of volatile chemicals and tar that are similar to tobacco smoke, raising concerns about risk for cancer and lung disease.67

You should have finished reading your source: "Cell culture and animal studies have also suggested THC and CBD may have antitumor effects, and this has been proposed as one reason why stronger expected associations are not seen between marijuana use and lung cancer, but more research is needed on this question."

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
You should have finished reading your source: "Cell culture and animal studies have also suggested THC and CBD may have antitumor effects, and this has been proposed as one reason why stronger expected associations are not seen between marijuana use and lung cancer, but more research is needed on this question."

My point is this ^^ You can be the lab rat, go ahead. I have nothing against weed. Just don't make me pay your medical bills.

WebMD:

The link between tobacco smoke and lung cancer is well-known. Studies show that marijuana smoke has many of the same harmful substances as tobacco, and often more of them.

People also smoke marijuana in a different way than tobacco, possibly posing greater danger to the lungs:

• You usually inhale marijuana smoke deeply and hold it in, which gives the toxins more contact with your lung tissue and more chance to stick there.
  • You generally a smoke a joint all the way to the end. Tar, the sticky stuff left after burning, has high levels of harmful substances, and it’s concentrated at the end of a joint.
Worse than cigarettes.

WebMD:

The link between tobacco smoke and lung cancer is well-known. Studies show that marijuana smoke has many of the same harmful substances as tobacco, and often more of them.

People also smoke marijuana in a different way than tobacco, possibly posing greater danger to the lungs:

• You usually inhale marijuana smoke deeply and hold it in, which gives the toxins more contact with your lung tissue and more chance to stick there.
  • You generally a smoke a joint all the way to the end. Tar, the sticky stuff left after burning, has high levels of harmful substances, and it’s concentrated at the end of a joint.
Worse than cigarettes.
But no one I know smokes 20-30 joints a day. A lot of people that do one do both though.

WebMD:

Worse than cigarettes.

Mainstream medicine hires content writers to target therapies which threaten their industry. As mentioned previously, THC & CBD help mitigate that response - something cigarettes don't possess. They should be more concerned about what's going on with the vaccine they mindlessly push versus occasional joint smokers:
https://media.nature.com/original/magazine-assets/d41586-021-00429-w/d41586-021-00429-w.pdf

Last edited:
Read a report on the damage it does on the brains of pre 25 year olds. We wonder what's wrong with the young generation. It can mess with the heart and heart rhythm. Is there anything out there that is a safe drug? If it helps cancer patients, sure let them have what ever they want.
Alcohol,Tobacco doesn't Damage the Brain??

I assume the price would drastically decline if it were legal, because then it could be produced on an industrial scale like tobacco and vegetables.
Cigarettes should be .50 per pack. I quit when they got to 1.00 pack. Our Government makes things more expensive because they are corrupt to the core and make money off our backs. Period!

Cigarettes should be .50 per pack. I quit when they got to 1.00 pack. Our Government makes things more expensive because they are corrupt to the core and make money off our backs. Period!
They raise the taxes on sins, knowing people will still sin, then tell us they did us a solid. "Oh, now your vices cost so much you must choose them or necessities? You're welcome."

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque
no it shouldn't be legal in our state, go to colorado if you want to do that. I know the majority of people who voted don't live here or do those illegal drugs themselves. not in our state.
You can't possibly believe there is not a good amount of people doing illegal drugs in the state of SC.
And if it was just pot that would be much more acceptable than opioids, coke and particularly meth.

If that were case, no one would buy it, and the status quo would remain.
Well, if you dig into it, the black market still exists where marijuana has been legalized. It's really not hard for them to lower their price a tad to get back below the costs from dispensaries. It's not easy for a grower to get licensed and they are not encumbered by taxes.

Reactions: cocks rule
Well, if you dig into it, the black market still exists where marijuana has been legalized. It's really not hard for them to lower their price a tad to get back below the costs from dispensaries. It's not easy for a grower to get licensed and they are not encumbered by taxes.
Right, I totally agree. I was just trying to point out that that reality would prevent prices from exceeding present black market levels, regardless of the height of the taxes levied.

Generally the government is interested in making money off the deal, so they will tend to set their tax rates to a level where legitimate dispensaries can at least be competitive.

Reactions: TheReelEss
Growing pot is cheap. Growing pot legally is not.

Reactions: TheReelEss
Right, I totally agree. I was just trying to point out that that reality would prevent prices from exceeding present black market levels, regardless of the height of the taxes levied.

Generally the government is interested in making money off the deal, so they will tend to set their tax rates to a level where legitimate dispensaries can at least be competitive.
The government making money? 🤣😂
Never happened, never will
They take money. Big brother Will charge you for a license, permits, taxes, fines, etc. if you want to operate a business but they would never make it as a legitimate private business. If the government was a private business it would be bankrupt long ago.

The government making money? 🤣😂
Never happened, never will
They take money. Big brother Will charge you for a license, permits, taxes, fines, etc. if you want to operate a business but they would never make it as a legitimate private business. If the government was a private business it would be bankrupt long ago.
I don't disagree with that, but it's an improvement from them arresting people and confiscating their stash like they do now.

I don't disagree with that, but it's an improvement from them arresting people and confiscating their stash like they do now.
I don’t understand how you get arrested or have your stash confiscated unless your just plain stupid. In that case you probably need to be arrested.

It's about time! First, many research studies show that marijuana is less harmful than alcohol and tobacco, which are already legal. Besides, the majority of the world population supports legalizing marijuana. Like, I've never met a person who is against legalizing recreational marijuana. Have you? Also, for all the marijuana consumers out there, you should try these cbg strains. Because of their anti-inflammatory properties, I now struggle less with my neurodegenerative issues. Definitely worth trying!

Last edited:
Of course we should let the dopers have all the drugs they want. This will lower the crime wave we are all suffering through. Wherever you go these days the addicts will break your car windows to steal whatever they can find to buy drugs.

I have a question I’m sure someone on here can answer but why does pot smell so bad now? 30 years ago it smelled like burning leaves and now it smells like burning swamp ass.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT