ADVERTISEMENT

OT (sorta): Rarely do I ever listen to SportsTalk (or whatever the proper name may be), but I caught a Phil Kornblut comment...

Gaimcock

Nov 18, 1998
that I thought was rather humorous if I do say so myself!!

That comment was made within his discussion regarding the new (I guess it's still new) college football "transfer portal", of which Kornblut referred to as the "transfer portal john"!!

But now I see that this post in and of itself reads rather "blah" I see no doubt!!

But hey, the moment of the very comment that I have in referenced herein, was heard within my automobile as I alone was stuck in Charlotte evening traffic on I-77!!!

Sometimes I guess one's personal/self humor can indeed be rather blah when discussed with others I see!!

Anyway, LOLOLOL and Later!!!

😎😉

Reactions: PC31
Not that funny. Sorry.
I know! And like I said, ones sense of humor can indeed be rather blah when one's rather boringly stuck within a boring scenario, all alone and within a rather even more boring environment (i.e., inside a car stuck in traffic)!

For some reason that I cannot even now imagine as I re-read the very post above, my sense of humor became rather kindergarten-ish did it not!!??!!?!

Man I truly need to get it together!!

Later, and please, don't judge me to be too very much intellectually lacking!! Lord knows we ALL have such moments!

Peace!

Last edited:
Reactions: cockybren
It's still early in the portal process. It will be like anything else: some will utilize it better than others. The ones who utilize it the best will set up right beneath the top-tier schools. The top-tier schools will continue mining most of their gold out of the high schools.
Outside of Alabama, who is a perennial top tier school?

Sportstalk is STILL on? 😮
LOLOLOL!! I mean really!! I accidentally came across it last night while stuck in traffic here in Charlotte - first time I listened to it since SOS was our coach!!

I'll always have a soft spot for Kornblut. He was my introduction to sports radio when I came to USC, and I usually had the radio in my dorm room most nights, listening to him on WVOC.

Reactions: nikolas22
I have not listened to Phil in years. I rarely listen to radio. But I’ll bet he doesn’t do like most of the TV and radio commentators. They all talk at the same time; they all scream and shout to make their points and they’ve got a mike right in front of them; they seem to think loud talk and shouting makes them right?; they butt in on everyone else; and they cover the same tired points day after day. I don’t think any of that has changed.

Reactions: pisgah
I agree, and I'm the biggest hypocrite. I have openly hated on it, but was thrilled to get our recent transfers.
It's just awkward (after all these years of having just a few transfers that have to wait 1 year to play)

But, the pros trade/release/swap players all the time. 😏

Georgia is perennially top-tier. And they now out-recruit Alabama. Ohio State is perennially top-tier. Oklahoma also qualifies. Florida will return to there under the right coach. There are other realistically aspiring ones - legacy-type schools that got crossed up on their coaching decisions. Those schools will not be relenting on recruiting the best high school prospects.

that I thought was rather humorous if I do say so myself!!

That comment was made within his discussion regarding the new (I guess it's still new) college football "transfer portal", of which Kornblut referred to as the "transfer portal john"!!

But now I see that this post in and of itself reads rather "blah" I see no doubt!!

But hey, the moment of the very comment that I have in referenced herein, was heard within my automobile as I alone was stuck in Charlotte evening traffic on I-77!!!

Sometimes I guess one's personal/self humor can indeed be rather blah when discussed with others I see!!

Anyway, LOLOLOL and Later!!!

😎😉
I think it needs to be flushed.

It's still early in the portal process. It will be like anything else: some will utilize it better than others. The ones who utilize it the best will set up right beneath the top-tier schools. The top-tier schools will continue mining most of their gold out of the high schools.

Very good post!

Reactions: king ward
Georgia is perennially top-tier. And they now out-recruit Alabama. Ohio State is perennially top-tier. Oklahoma also qualifies. Florida will return to there under the right coach. There are other realistically aspiring ones - legacy-type schools that got crossed up on their coaching decisions. Those schools will not be relenting on recruiting the best high school prospects.
So 3. I do t disagree, but that’s 3 teams.- and that can change in one coaching cycle. Ibelieve the top-tier is a lot more transient than many people care to acknowledge. Remember 20 years ago, Texas was on top of the world and the Longhorn network had just been launched. It was going to cement Texas as an unbeatable juggernaut. They are not even a top 5 team in Texas now. As for Florida, outside of having 2 legendary coaches, when have they been top tier?
In fact, that’s my argument for any team, it’s about getting the right coach. The 1 percent is transient and not static.

I listen to Phil occasionally, but he seems to throw a lot of jabs at USC. He recently threw jabs at the bowl victory and 7 wins. He doesn't like the "portal john". I like it as an equalizer. Without it we would not make the gains in one year that we did. Phil seems to like the old system where the rich keeps getting richer in recruiting.

I listen to Phil occasionally, but he seems to throw a lot of jabs at USC. He recently threw jabs at the bowl victory and 7 wins. He doesn't like the "portal john". I like it as an equalizer. Without it we would not make the gains in one year that we did. Phil seems to like the old system where the rich keeps getting richer in recruiting.
At some point, Phil turned against USC. Maybe it was when Clemson took off again in football. He started attending CU games instead of ours. Who can blame him for that. I feel he is “all-in” with Clemson now. Perhaps he has had a child go there.

I have not listened to Phil in years. I rarely listen to radio. But I’ll bet he doesn’t do like most of the TV and radio commentators. They all talk at the same time; they all scream and shout to make their points and they’ve got a mike right in front of them; they seem to think loud talk and shouting makes them right?; they butt in on everyone else; and they cover the same tired points day after day. I don’t think any of that has changed.
You just described Clarey on the Spartanburg fox sports radio station. If he gets anyone that disagrees with him he throws a temper tantrum and starts shouting and banging the desk. I quit listening to the station because of him. He’s awful.

So 3. I do t disagree, but that’s 3 teams.- and that can change in one coaching cycle. Ibelieve the top-tier is a lot more transient than many people care to acknowledge. Remember 20 years ago, Texas was on top of the world and the Longhorn network had just been launched. It was going to cement Texas as an unbeatable juggernaut. They are not even a top 5 team in Texas now. As for Florida, outside of having 2 legendary coaches, when have they been top tier?
In fact, that’s my argument for any team, it’s about getting the right coach. The 1 percent is transient and not static.

Two different eras though. The top tier teams have been very consistent since the implementation of the 4-team playoff system and numbers back this up. One reason why we have so many clamoring for expansion.

Two different eras though. The top tier teams have been very consistent since the implementation of the 4-team playoff system and numbers back this up. One reason why we have so many clamoring for expansion.
Go on… I’d like to hear more of your perspective.

At some point, Phil turned against USC. Maybe it was when Clemson took off again in football. He started attending CU games instead of ours. Who can blame him for that. I feel he is “all-in” with Clemson now. Perhaps he has had a child go there.

I have always defended Phil on this Board; even crowning him as the best sports host in SC. I haven't listened to his show with any degree of regularity for several years, however if he has gone over to the dark side, then to hell with him. He can hike his ass to Greenville and get out of the Columbia market!

Reactions: nikolas22
Go on… I’d like to hear more of your perspective.
A good part of success in college football is dictated by factors that lie outside of coaching - money/donors, location, conference revenue, history, etc. When you add a system that highlights these same 4 to 6 teams year-round, that separation between the "haves" and "have-nots" deepens further. This makes a Texas-type yesteryear decline even less probable in the current environment.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
Phil still try to play it down the middle and he is a great supporter of smaller colleges in the state and to the high schools. No doubt there, but he is like your grandfather…1) he hates change (he’s been clamoring for the old BCS system, transfer portal-John enough said already), 2) NIL is evil, 3) roast-beef at Seawell’s is heavenly … note to self - must try.
It’s not appointment listening like in the late 90’s, but I still turn him on when in the car.

Reactions: Mr CockStrong
A good part of success in college football is dictated by factors that lie outside of coaching - money/donors, location, conference revenue, history, etc. When you add a system that highlights these same 4 to 6 teams year-round, that separation between the "haves" and "have-nots" deepens further. This makes a Texas-type yesteryear decline even less probable in the current environment.
Nothing wrong with your opinion. I see things very differently.

Reactions: PaleoCock

First, teams that have done it before and have the commitment to doing it again - and the resources - can get there again. Let me try something else here: the better Carolina or any school becomes on the field and the stronger their rosters become, the more they will emphasize recruiting premier high school prospects and the less they will lean on the portal. The trick will be keeping the ones you get out of high school since they will not have used their free pass. I think Beamer will be particularly good at it.

Reactions: Silver_Coconut
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT