ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Starting to go bald. Any suggestions for treatments?

Poultrygeist

Feb 16, 2002
i figure as many guys that are on here, there’s a good percentage that is facing the same reality. What works best to slow it down?

Last edited:
I started going bald at 20 not anything really you can do. Start saving up for gair plugs.

Just don’t pretend you aren’t going bald. Embrace it. The worst looks are comb overs or comb forwards. They draw more attention to it. Plugs are pretty noticeable too. Honestly, the more insecure about the baldness, the worst it seems like it’ll look.

Also, when going bald, keep the hair you have short. Like 0-1 guard short. And look at the bright side of not having to go and pay for haircuts every 2-3 weeks.

Mine was shoulder length in the mid 90's but started losing it, while noticing the professors at the music school I was attending trying to keep theirs long when it was so obvious. Only guy that can pull that off is Sean Connery. So I shaved it with clippers for a few years, then went to the razor. Thankfully, I dont have a lumpy head but after 20+ years, it gets soooooo old having to shave my head every other day.

If I was in my 20s I think I'd try Rogaine and see if it helped. I lost mine slowly but by age 50 it reached the point where there was nothing to do but cut it short and don't worry about it.

Also if you're married, just ask the wife what to do. If it looks bad, it's on her. If not, remember that women aren't like us. Most women would prefer an in-shape bald guy versus an out-of-shape Fabio.

Reactions: Heyward1
Also if you're married, just ask the wife what to do. If it looks bad, it's on her. If not, remember that women aren't like us. Most women would prefer an in-shape bald guy versus an out-of-shape Fabio.
Lol
I know several divorced dudes.
All pumped up and bald.
They lose the hair,go to gym to compensate and become aholes.

i figure as many guys that are on here, there’s a good percentage that is facing the same reality. What works best to slow it down?
There is a clinic here in CO that does stem cell injections. They seriously work and are fantastic. The treatment only takes a few minutes (several small injections in a grid on top of your head). In about a year, you have roughly 50% more hair ($2k-$3k) and it is guaranteed. If you don't get good results, you can get another treatment free. Then you can take Finasteride (Google it...It works!) to maintain/preserve all of your hair as it prevents the testosterone from attacking your vulnerable hairs (the ones on top of your head). If you don't like taking pills to preserve your hair, you can do hair transplants. They also work and are a permanent solution with no pills needed.
I started losing my hair rapidly 10 years ago and didn't like it. I was really upset about it. If I was married, maybe I wouldn't have done anything but since I'm not the marrying type and I like pretty women, I got transplants. It is the best money I ever spent. It usually costs $2-$3/graft. If you need the entire top of your head done, it will cost you about $12k-$16k. You can do them in 2,000 - 3,000 graft increments.
Again, It was one of the best things I ever did. I am 46yo and have a FULL head of hair that I love to style. Women love it. The ones who say they don't care if you are bald are usually lying. They care. Some more than others but they pretty much all care to some degree.
PM me if you want more information on the clinic here in CO. They are one of the best in the country and have possibly the best prices. I have kept in touch with the owner and they are running a special for anyone who pays this month for a treatment for now or in the future. Everything is roughly half price. $1/graft and maybe $1500-$2k for stem cell.
Rivalry aside, this place honestly changed my life. I tell everyone about it who will listen. It's awesome.

Last edited:
Finasteride 1mg daily by mouth. It works. Talk to your primary care physician or dermatologist. Important to start early in your hair loss and not wait until you’ve lost a lot.

Reactions: Churrob
If you have already lost a good bit, just shave it. I wouldn't waste a cent on plugs, grafts, or whatever one wants to call it. I, and just anybody else can pick one out a mile away. A bit better than a toupee, but still noticeable. Just grab a good razor.

"Shave your head bald". HE SAID ITS STARTING TO GO BALD, YOU DING DONGS. Just try Rogaine for a while and see how that does.

My hair has been thinning on top for the last 7 or 8 years and I honestly dont care. I usually wear a hat(have all my life) and shave my head anyhow,, it’s not a detrimental thing for most guys..

The Lord knows my name and my kids think I am a superhero,, so life is good!

Reactions: 92Pony
I did scalp micropigmentation after about 20 years of shaving my head. I love it. Go to instagram and #scalpmicropigmentation. Obviously need to go to a top notch clinic.

Doesn't give you hair but does soften your look a give you a "frame" back for your face.

As others have said- DO NOT try to style the hair over the bald areas. Looks horrible. Tight cut is much better.

Just don’t pretend you aren’t going bald. Embrace it. The worst looks are comb overs or comb forwards. They draw more attention to it. Plugs are pretty noticeable too. Honestly, the more insecure about the baldness, the worst it seems like it’ll look.

Also, when going bald, keep the hair you have short. Like 0-1 guard short. And look at the bright side of not having to go and pay for haircuts every 2-3 weeks.
Wonderful advice. I wish I had cut my hair shorter years before I did. I wish I had started shaving my head years before I did. It's liberating and it looks better than any kind of comb-over or hairpiece.

Reactions: Carolina4
My grandfather was a post WWII Veteran and was a Barber afterwards from 46 up until he retired around 88! Heard him tell a many of his ol' buddies who's hair he'd cut for many a moon back in the days, that the only way absolutely stop "balding" was to go ahead and shave it off!!

LOL, and just sayin' now!!

So here was my dilemma about 20 years ago. Started losing hair and got the dreaded bald spot on top. My theory was no biggie and I would just go with the Bruce Willis look. Decided to try rogaine. Started using the Walmart brand cause it was cheaper. I was skeptical, but said worth a try and it’s not expensive.

Works great for me and it stopped the bald spot and grew some hair back. It says to use twice a day, but I stopped and went to once a day several years ago. Still holding up well.

Would never consider hair plugs, Bosley, or anything else. It was rogaine or bust for me. It worked so I haven’t had to do the Bruce Willis. (The generic name for rogaine is minoxidol)

Reactions: king ward
I ended up with basal cell carcinoma right in the middle of my bald spot. If you have any exposed skin on your scalp, the most important thing is to put a hat on every time you walk out the front door or get out of your car.

Hair implants are extremely painful ( donor area ) and can look sprigged remember Strom?

Been there done that, didn't like the look, wore a piece for awhile and then

went topless. Best way to maintain a shaved head is with a rotary blade electric razor.

I have a really thin/bald spot in the back. When I look in the mirror, I don't see it. Therefore, I don't care.

But, if I did care, I would shave my head and get it tanned...

Hair implants are extremely painful ( donor area ) and can look sprigged remember Strom?

Been there done that, didn't like the look, wore a piece for awhile and then

went topless. Best way to maintain a shaved head is with a rotary blade electric razor.
I use one. Have to buy blades every year or so.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT