ADVERTISEMENT

OT Sultans of Swing analysis video

The live version from the Alchemy film slays.
And have you ever seen the chick he wrote Romeo and Juliet about? No wonder he was busted up.
holly-beth-vincent-c2a9-1982-antoine-giacamoni.jpg

This is awesome . Well any of you guys that are players can agree that “Sultan’s” and pretty much anything that comes from Mr Knoffler’s fingers is absolutely insane . I had to learn this song for a cover gig a few years ago and oh my god . To say it was a challenge is an understatement. Absolutely crazy . Some of the fills are just mind blowing . I’ve been playing and gigging most my life and I can honestly say learning any tunes by Knoffler or Jeff Beck is a daunting task . Their fingerstyle technique on electric is just hard to emulate . He’s definitely in a class by himself

This is awesome . Well any of you guys that are players can agree that “Sultan’s” and pretty much anything that comes from Mr Knoffler’s fingers is absolutely insane . I had to learn this song for a cover gig a few years ago and oh my god . To say it was a challenge is an understatement. Absolutely crazy . Some of the fills are just mind blowing . I’ve been playing and gigging most my life and I can honestly say learning any tunes by Knoffler or Jeff Beck is a daunting task . Their fingerstyle technique on electric is just hard to emulate . He’s definitely in a class by himself
Got many a job over the years because I could note for note this. The key to pulling this song off authentically though is your drummer; you’ve got to convince him to lay off all the little fills that are apparently so tempting to throw in or you’ll sound garage.

Got many a job over the years because I could note for note this. The key to pulling this song off authentically though is your drummer; you’ve got to convince him to lay off all the little fills that are apparently so tempting to throw in or you’ll sound garage.

Yeap you are spot on . Some of the pedal steel type bends are crazy . Your intonation has to be absolutely perfect . What surprised me is the stuff on the solos that sounds incredibly difficult really aren’t but the little fills between vocals are just nuts . I tell ya another guy that I have a new found respect for is Jerry Garcia . I’m not a Dead fan .. I actually hate them but had to learn a bunch of dead tunes for a few gigs and man Jerry is a BEAST !! Got to say I’ll never be a Dead fan but I’m definitely a Jerry fan .

Really cool explanation of the song, my dad was a dixieland fan when i was a kid, seems like that beat would be crazy to keep up with, especially picking guitar leads!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT