ADVERTISEMENT

OT- summer trip to New York

Rollerdude123

Apr 8, 2011
We have decided to drive to New York. Got a good hotel rate at a brand new hotel in New Jersey that has good reviews. Driving because of expense.

Most direct route is through DC, Baltimore, etc.

Slightly longer is through Roanoke, Hershey, Allentown.....

More direct route is not always best. For those that have made this drive, give me your insight. We have already planned to stay one night in a hotel on the ride up.

We have decided to drive to New York. Got a good hotel rate at a brand new hotel in New Jersey that has good reviews. Driving because of expense.

More direct route is not always best. For those that have made this drive, give me your insight. We have already planned to stay one night in a hotel on the ride up.

I will be interested in knowing how that goes. We went to NYC last summer with a tour group and had a ball. Would be interested in knowing how driving turns out because we definitely want to go back.

You'll get farther faster if you stay east. Leaving Lancaster at about 10:00 in the morning, I checked into a hotel at Bensalem Township, Pa., north of Philadelphia, at about 10:00 at night. It was an easy ride into New York City the next day. Hope that helps some.

Take I-77, I-81 and I-78. If you're going to New York, don't stay in NJ; I know it's cheaper, but you'll spend all your time on the train getting TO Manhattan. Unless you stay in Jersey City or Hoboken, which wouldn't be as long a trip into the City. Honestly, if you're on a tight budget, NYC is not the trip.

I'm originally from NJ, so I've made the trip north dozens of times. 95 from Richmond to Baltimore can be a parking lot, at times. Another option is to go through Norfolk and take the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and drive up through DelMarVa. I've driven all options and 77, 81 and 78 is the fastest, though a few more miles. I don't like how rural that drive is, but there is a give and take with everything.

Reactions: thecockyhorseshoe
The hotel has a bus stop right across the street. Multiple reviews say it’s a good trip (under 30) into Manhattan from the hotel.

Take I-77, I-81 and I-78. If you're going to New York, don't stay in NJ; I know it's cheaper, but you'll spend all your time on the train getting TO Manhattan. Unless you stay in Jersey City or Hoboken, which wouldn't be as long a trip into the City. Honestly, if you're on a tight budget, NYC is not the trip.

I'm originally from NJ, so I've made the trip north dozens of times. 95 from Richmond to Baltimore can be a parking lot, at times. Another option is to go through Norfolk and take the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and drive up through DelMarVa. I've driven all options and 77, 81 and 78 is the fastest, though a few more miles. I don't like how rural that drive is, but there is a give and take with everything.

The hotel has a bus stop right across the street. Multiple reviews say it’s a good trip (under 30) into Manhattan from the hotel.
We rented a nice apartment in Union City. There were six of our family on the trip. We took a private bus (small buses)at the corner of our street - $3.00 one-way per person. It took us though the Lincoln Tunnel and dropped us off at the N.Y Transit Authority bus terminal across from the New York Times building. The same company had buses back to Jersey parked along the street in front of the N.Y. Times building (40th Street & 8th Ave.) at night. We took them back to Jersey. These were 25-minute trips. Decide for yourself how expensive or inconvenient that was.

Our main excursion will be a broadway show.

Sounds like the best route north is avoiding DC

I personally would try to avoid the Baltimore-DC traffic unless hitting that up at a crazy time like 2 am. From Richmond on up its bumper to bumper and often downright stopped traffic on the interstate.

I assume you’ll leave the car in NJ and take public transit. I’ve driven through NYC. I can’t say I recommend it though.

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
Wife and I did NYC about ten years ago. Went to a game in old Yankee and Shea Stadiums, a Broadway show, toured the city on the red double deck buses. Had a blast!! Also went everywhere on the subway, was pretty easy to learn the route’s. We stayed about two blocks from Central Park, right off Broadway. It wasn’t that expensive, but the rooms are tiny.

Our main excursion will be a broadway show. Sounds like the best route north is avoiding DC

Do one of the Circle Line Cruises, especially if your first trip and looking looking for photo opps.

Complete Manhattan cruise = approx $45, 2 to 3 hours
Statue of Liberty special (they have several different types) = approx $18/20 1 hour
Leaves from dock that is within walking distance of Times Square.

I also always recommend Canal & Mulberry Streets, where China Town meets Little Italy. (need to drive or grab a cab)

Get play tickets at the kiosk in Times Square, can get some good bargains . Get one of the big apple double decker bus tours if you want to see the city from land. Mind where your billfold is. Great food in Little Italy mulberry st

Having gone to both NYC and Boston by car over 50 roundtrips in my life, I can tell you that nothing good ever happens driving I-95 between Richmond and DC. Once around DC, it's hit or miss, usually OK all the way to NY. Personally I don't like creeping in traffic for 2 hours so I take the longer westerly route now. I-81. Good luck and enjoy. Love Manhattan and it's vibe.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Wife and I did NYC about ten years ago. Went to a game in old Yankee and Shea Stadiums, a Broadway show, toured the city on the red double deck buses. Had a blast!! Also went everywhere on the subway, was pretty easy to learn the route’s. We stayed about two blocks from Central Park, right off Broadway. It wasn’t that expensive, but the rooms are tiny.

We went to NYC last summer and stayed in the theater district and like your hotel it wasn't very expensive but the room was small.

Reactions: Holy City Cock
Get play tickets at the kiosk in Times Square, can get some good bargains . Get one of the big apple double decker bus tours if you want to see the city from land. Mind where your billfold is. Great food in Little Italy mulberry st

Good tips but I would hit up the TKTS booth at Seaport vs Times Square. Line will be much shorter

Our main excursion will be a broadway show.

Sounds like the best route north is avoiding DC

I love college football but I had rather see a Broadway Show. Try to catch a couple of shows if you can. The next time we go back to NYC I want to see at least two or three Broadway Shows and take kind of a cultural tour of Manhattan.

And as someone else stated I love the vibe of Manhattan.

Last edited:
Hadn’t been in years before early April because my daughter’s choir got to perform at the Lincoln Center, which was awesome in itself. Anyway, I was born in Philly, so the pace isn’t unusual to me, but as others have said, I love the vibe. Even outside of Manhattan, there’s so much energy if you want it, or head down to Battery Park, and it’s like a world away. We had debated about driving up, and we scored a sweet deal on a 1-way rental from CLT, but we were always flying back. With a 3-hour stop in Richmond (family) it was like a 15-hour trip. Not sure if your using your car or renting, but with gas I’m not sure it’s cheaper. You should be able to park at the hotel for free, but you’ll be on public transit to get to and around the city, or parking will cost a ton. You can get pretty much anywhere, anytime in NYC on the train. Flights rt were $147 on American, and $74 one way. Worth every penny. We left NYC at 545ish, and even with a slight weather detour, touched down in Charlotte at 715. I’ll never drive there again from here (Cola).

If you definitely drive though, the 77-20-95 route isn’t that bad, if you can avoid DC traffic (weekends, time, etc...) Also, we went all the way into Brooklyn, and paid $38 in tolls, so bring cash. Obviously will be different for stopping in Jersey, but maybe not much. I went to a cousins wedding in Gettysburg earlier this month, and did drive the 77-81 route, and that’s way prettier, and probably not much longer to NYC, but less hectic. Still will have all the tolls though.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Waze is your friend. I didn’t realize that people still used paper maps or advice from others, but maybe I’m more progressive than I thought.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT