ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Top five favorite places in South Carolina

Any SC beach, Lake Murray, any town that has a Duke's Bar B Que and my hunt club in Fairfield County.

Reactions: Dutch Cock
My List:
1. Cherry Grove Point (at low tide)
2. Garden City Board Walk on the inlet (especially at sunset)
3. Sullivans Island
4. Folly Beach
5. Sunset, SC (Camp McCall, specifically the Chapel)

1. Table Rock State Park
2. Folly Beach
3. Doodle trail
4. Swamp Rabbit Trail (Furman Univ. to Travelers Rest
5. Devil’s Fork State Park

• Most anywhere in Beaufort & Charleston, with special attention to Hunting Island
  • Founders Park
  • Edisto Beach (reminds me of Fripp Island from the 1970s & 80s before all the McMansions were built)
  • Any decent Hampton County watermelon stand in June
  • Chappell Farms (Pat's Peaches) in Kline
Honourable mention goes to the Barnwell Regional Airport for their extremely clean restrooms.

Last edited:
1. Williams Brice on at an evening 330 game in October.
2. Walking the Horseshoe.
3.Beaufort in the marsh, fishing for reds and flounder.
4. Burrels Ford hiking the Chatuga.
5. My house when I grill beer brats.

1. Williams Brice on at an evening 330 game in October.
2. Walking the Horseshoe.
3.Beaufort in the marsh, fishing for reds and flounder.
4. Burrels Ford hiking the Chatuga.
5. My house when I grill beer brats.
Ahh yes...that one is awesome. Especially when I'm with Smalls, and telling him stories about my time at Carolina. It's all about passing the love of the University on to the next generation.

1) anywhere on the coast
2) Cheraw State park
3) Hickory knob state park
4) Columbia on a Football or Basketball game day
5) Santee

Reactions: SCexpat38
My List:
1. Cherry Grove Point (at low tide)
2. Garden City Board Walk on the inlet (especially at sunset)
3. Sullivans Island
4. Folly Beach
5. Sunset, SC (Camp McCall, specifically the Chapel)
Walking out on Cherry Grove point without knowing about tides are dangerous to your health. Lots of people have been rescued from there and many have drowned

• Most anywhere in Beaufort & Charleston
  • Founders Park
  • Edisto Beach (reminds me of Fripp Island from the 1970s & 80s before all the McMansions were built)
Honourable mention goes to the Barnwell Regional Airport for their extremely clean restrooms.
I will second Pat's Peaches. Have ate these for years growing up in Barnwell.

Reactions: atl-cock
Folks, tell me about Folly Beach. I've never actually been to Folly Beach ( I don't think ) but years ago I heard it was a run down beach but in recent years I'm hearing good things about Folly.

Would it be a nice place to spend a Wedding Anniversary Weekend?

Folks, tell me about Folly Beach. I've never actually been to Folly Beach ( I don't think ) but years ago I heard it was a run down beach but in recent years I'm hearing good things about Folly.

Would it be a nice place to spend a Wedding Anniversary Weekend?
I like folly, it has kind of a small town beach feel to it. However, it can get pretty crowded depending on when you go. I like Cherry Grove because it offers a bit of charleston style beach town without the massive crowds (can still get busy in the summer) but things move a little slower there. For the record run down beach towns are my favorite.

1. Ocean Drive/ Fat Harolds and Ducks
2. Lake Murray fishing
3. Cocks football game at home on a cool, crisp fall afternoon
4. My home golf course
5. Any other beach in SC or golf course

Where and what is fat Harolds? I use to know a guy named Fat Harvey from Greenville and his first name was Harold.

West End in Greenville
Any Mill Village Greenville - Maybe with the exception of Judson
Downtown Greenville
Manning St. Greenville
August Rd/Dr. Greenville

Last edited:
Reactions: SCexpat38
West End in Greenville
Any Mill Village Greenville - Maybe with the exception of Judson
Down Town Greenville
Manning St. Greenville
August Rd/Dr. Greenville

What area do you live? I'm in the southern part of Greenville Co. south of Woodmont HS.

Caesar's Head
Lake Jocassee
Waties Island/Camp St. Christopher on Seabrook Island (tie)
Sandy Island (Waccamaw River)
Hickory Knob State Park

Reactions: mikeypen
  • Most anywhere in Beaufort & Charleston, with special attention to Hunting Island
  • Founders Park
Wow! You mentioned Barnwell, Kline and Hampton... Being an Allendale boy I know all of those places too well. None make my favorite places list though! LOL

I WILL follow you up on Beaufort though, esoecially Hunting Island. My oarents built a house on the marsh on Lady’s Island when I was a kid and that is the most peaceful place on Earth to me!
Besides that:
2- Charleston
3- Columbia (really improved since I Have lived here)
4- Downtown Greenville (the whole rest of that part of the state can kiss it)
5- any of the Islands just past Charleston.

Intentionally excluded- Myrtle Beach.

Wow! You mentioned Barnwell, Kline and Hampton... Being an Allendale boy I know all of those places too well. None make my favorite places list though! LOL

I WILL follow you up on Beaufort though, especially Hunting Island. My parents built a house on the marsh on Lady’s Island when I was a kid and that is the most peaceful place on Earth to me!
Besides that:
2- Charleston
3- Columbia (really improved since I Have lived here)
4- Downtown Greenville (the whole rest of that part of the state can kiss it)
5- any of the Islands just past Charleston.

Intentionally excluded- Myrtle Beach.

My wife asked me to add the Angel Oak tree on Johns Island to the list. Worth a visit.

We were heading to Beaufort from Atlanta on a June day about 10 years ago when a cousin of mine (who is now on Beaufort City Council) asked us to bring him a Hampton County watermelon so that he could give it to a friend. We took a circuitous route off of the normal SC 125/US 278/SC 68. US 321 from Fairfax to Estill, & then SC 3 to a "SC Department of Agriculture" licensed facility in search of a yellow watermelon for us, and a red/pink for my cousin. Located about 5k west of the Jasper County line, near Grays. No yellow watermelons, but OMG, its was the biggest and best watermelon I have ever had!

Looks like they do deer processing there too. Lots of those types of businesses in that general area.

With all due respect, I would intentionally exclude Allendale. Restrooms at the Hardees are lackluster at best. 😁

Last edited:
With all due respect, I would intentionally exclude Allendale. Restrooms at the Hardees are lackluster at best. 😁
Oh, it did NOT make the list and my mention of it to then fully exclude Allendale and surrounding areas should tell you all you need to know. The bathrooms are one of many “amenities” in the Allendale area that “lack luster”. I sometimes think I literally grew up in the worst town in America!

Some of the highlights:
Allendale was literally the poorest town in SC. Absolutely no job opportunities or viable businesses that provide anything resembling something fun to do.

It was the first school district in SC (which was about 49th/50 states in education at the time) to be TAKEN OVER BY THE STATE because the schools were so poorly run!

The teachers protested said state action as they knew they were all AWFUL teachers and would be promptly fired. The Augusta Chronicle (closest town with a reasonably circulated newspaper) ran a front page article on that protest, the picture of which literally showed a teacher holding a sign that read “We ain’t need no Government intervention”... Please, try to convince me they were being ironic. I always recall my brother (very smart- literally a rocket scientist now) went to his middle school math teacher and asked him for help with ore-algebra as he wanted to take the PSAT early... The teacher told him now because he “DIDN’T KNOW HOW TO DO ALGEBRA”... A MATH TEACHER!?!

Allendale HS (not a big school), was once raided by sled looking for drugs with dogs... Found like 6 people with CRACK COCAINE in their lockers at school! Like enough to SELL... Sled came back the very next day and CAUGHT 15 PEOPLE, apparently they assumed “well they cane yesterday, they won’t come today”! LOL

Our elected Mayor when taking over the office (a PART TIME JOB, paying like $15k at the time), in his first day in office literally asked one of his aids when the previous mayor was moving out of his house. (The previous mayor was wealthy my Allendale standards and had a mansion in the fancy part of town... Dumbass literally thought it was the Mayoral mansion and he got to move in once he won the election!! LMAO)

Same Mayor was told some old stores lining the downtown main street that had been condemned for decades needed to be torn down. He refused, called them historic monuments and said he would get the state to pay to have them restored... Shockingly one of the buildings literally fell down a few months later and blocked two lanes of main street... They got some guys to push the rubble over far enough so it was only blocking one lane for MONTHS until they could scrape up the funds to clean it up proper...

Our Spring Fedtival? The COOTER FEST! Yes. That’s right- COOTER FEST. See we called turtles “cooters” in Alendale (why? God only knows)... It became somewhat famous for a while in the 90s when people started using “cooter” as slang for a certain part of female anatomy.

Perhaps my favorite story though: Some guy was being called to court and charged with a crime that could be rather costly to him (I forget the charge, not paying child support or something), so his big plan to get out of it?- HE BURNT DOWN THE COURT HOUSE! Quite successfully... Like burned it TO THE GROUND. It did not work obviously... He was just also charged with a hist of additional crimes, but it made for a great story!

We were heading to Beaufort from Atlanta on a June day about 10 years ago when a cousin of mine (who is now on Beaufort City Council) asked us to bring him a Hampton County watermelon so that he could give it to a friend. We took a circuitous route off of the normal SC 125/US 278/SC 68. US 321 from Fairfax to Estill, & then SC 3 to a "SC Department of Agriculture" licensed facility in search of a yellow watermelon for us, and a red/pink for my cousin. Located about 5k west of the Jasper County line, near Grays. No yellow watermelons, but OMG, its was the biggest and best watermelon I have ever had!

Looks like they do deer processing there too. Lots of those types of businesses in that general area.

Smalls hunts in Grays.

Reactions: redrogers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT