Edisto Beach
Capers Island
Poker weekend with the guys
Camping anywhere on Lake Hartwell
On the water

Lake Jocassee (Devils Fork State Park)
Edisto Island
Lake Murray
Travel Park Campground NMB, once I get there I try not to leave, you can discreetly drink on the beach, 3 acre fishing pond, huge pool/lazy River, golf cart etc
Williams Brice Stadium on a crisp Oct, late afternoon or early evening vs an SEC rival.

Oh, it did NOT make the list and my mention of it to then fully exclude Allendale and surrounding areas should tell you all you need to know. The bathrooms are one of many “amenities” in the Allendale area that “lack luster”. I sometimes think I literally grew up in the worst town in America!

Some of the highlights:
Allendale was literally the poorest town in SC. Absolutely no job opportunities or viable businesses that provide anything resembling something fun to do.

It was the first school district in SC (which was about 49th/50 states in education at the time) to be TAKEN OVER BY THE STATE because the schools were so poorly run!

The teachers protested said state action as they knew they were all AWFUL teachers and would be promptly fired. The Augusta Chronicle (closest town with a reasonably circulated newspaper) ran a front page article on that protest, the picture of which literally showed a teacher holding a sign that read “We ain’t need no Government intervention”... Please, try to convince me they were being ironic. I always recall my brother (very smart- literally a rocket scientist now) went to his middle school math teacher and asked him for help with ore-algebra as he wanted to take the PSAT early... The teacher told him now because he “DIDN’T KNOW HOW TO DO ALGEBRA”... A MATH TEACHER!?!

Allendale HS (not a big school), was once raided by sled looking for drugs with dogs... Found like 6 people with CRACK COCAINE in their lockers at school! Like enough to SELL... Sled came back the very next day and CAUGHT 15 PEOPLE, apparently they assumed “well they cane yesterday, they won’t come today”! LOL

Our elected Mayor when taking over the office (a PART TIME JOB, paying like $15k at the time), in his first day in office literally asked one of his aids when the previous mayor was moving out of his house. (The previous mayor was wealthy my Allendale standards and had a mansion in the fancy part of town... Dumbass literally thought it was the Mayoral mansion and he got to move in once he won the election!! LMAO)

Same Mayor was told some old stores lining the downtown main street that had been condemned for decades needed to be torn down. He refused, called them historic monuments and said he would get the state to pay to have them restored... Shockingly one of the buildings literally fell down a few months later and blocked two lanes of main street... They got some guys to push the rubble over far enough so it was only blocking one lane for MONTHS until they could scrape up the funds to clean it up proper...

Our Spring Fedtival? The COOTER FEST! Yes. That’s right- COOTER FEST. See we called turtles “cooters” in Alendale (why? God only knows)... It became somewhat famous for a while in the 90s when people started using “cooter” as slang for a certain part of female anatomy.

Perhaps my favorite story though: Some guy was being called to court and charged with a crime that could be rather costly to him (I forget the charge, not paying child support or something), so his big plan to get out of it?- HE BURNT DOWN THE COURT HOUSE! Quite successfully... Like burned it TO THE GROUND. It did not work obviously... He was just also charged with a hist of additional crimes, but it made for a great story!
I’ve been to Allendale once. Actually went to a civic event their in support of then Governor Nikki Haley. Before I went there that day, I never knew Allendale ever existed. I feel for that community and anyone that has lived there. Sir, you may be right - it is the worst town in America - at least small town. I traveled that little town with the Governor that day and just wonder - what do people do here? Now, there are worse bigger cities - West Baltimore is probably the worst city in America - maybe by wide margin.

• Sad
Reactions: caughtlookin
I’m going to go with some places others have mentioned , in no particular order
Folly Beach ( I got married there)
Williams Brice Stadium
Trout fishing in the Walhalla/Westminster area
Fishing on Lake Secession
And I’m quite fond of my deer stand in Honea Path

Folks, tell me about Folly Beach. I've never actually been to Folly Beach ( I don't think ) but years ago I heard it was a run down beach but in recent years I'm hearing good things about Folly.

Would it be a nice place to spend a Wedding Anniversary Weekend?
Freedie, Folly is nice. Most Charleston beaches are. Less expensive then IOP or Sullivan's.

Debordieu
Folly Beach
Baseball complex with youth teams playing.
Pawleys island
Inter coastal waterway.
There are some exceptional places along the intercoastal waterway. One of the most beautiful in my opinion is just off the waterway. A place called Sandy Island. Nowadays it is too commercialized but 20 years ago you could cruise along the the old ricefields and watch the Ospreys feeding their young. One of the moments when I could sense the majesty of this planet and its creator happened at sunset on the Waccamaw. I have pictures of it on my computer. South end of Pawleys at low tide is like that too.

Freedie, Folly is nice. Most Charleston beaches are. Less expensive then IOP or Sullivan's.

Buddy, it's great to see you again. I hope you are doing fine, you along with COE and a few others are my all time favorite posters. Again, glad to see you man.

Charleston
Pretty place
Riding thru downtown Greenville
Any south Carolina beach
Home

............Our elected Mayor when taking over the office (a PART TIME JOB, paying like $15k at the time), in his first day in office literally asked one of his aids when the previous mayor was moving out of his house. (The previous mayor was wealthy my Allendale standards and had a mansion in the fancy part of town... Dumbass literally thought it was the Mayoral mansion and he got to move in once he won the election!! LMAO)...........

There's a fancy part of Allendale? Where?

I’ve been to Allendale once. Actually went to a civic event their in support of then Governor Nikki Haley. Before I went there that day, I never knew Allendale ever existed. I feel for that community and anyone that has lived there. Sir, you may be right - it is the worst town in America - at least small town. I traveled that little town with the Governor that day and just wonder - what do people do here? Now, there are worse bigger cities - West Baltimore is probably the worst city in America - maybe by wide margin.
There is a lumber yard on US 278 on the way to Kline. That's the only industrial anything I can think of there. And there's USC Salkehatchie.

40+ years ago Gamecock baseball would schedule games with Georgia Southern held on the Salkehatchie baseball diamond as sort of a halfway between Statesboro and Columbia, neutral site location.

Last edited:
Not in order not just five
Fishing in the trees across from Santee state park
Watching a sunrise atop table rock on a fall morning
Almost anywhere on a SC beach at sunrise (the sounds, the smells, the sun light breaking though the darkness).
A Friday night football game in late September or early October (a rivalry game) it is an event to breathe in deeply!
The first viewing of a grandchild through those hospital windows
A child, a grandchild, a close friend, someone whose life you have touched be baptized (the emotions, the deepest emotions, the blessing of that event)

East coast sunset while dining outside at Hilton Head's Old Fort Pub.
Waterfall tour of Pickens and Oconee Counties with a meal at nearby Dillard House
Oyster recycling kayak put in at Murrells Inlet and then on to Prosser's BBQ.
Camden's Goodale State Park via kayak ( incredible Blue Heron nesting site )
Cateechee Beach ( few know this exotic location ) tied with little known Peach Tree Rock and it's rare Midlands waterfall.

Honorable mention goes to the winding road from Oconee State Park to Highlands in a good handling car.

Folly is nice but in summer weekends are too crowded.....parking is terrible. we have rented houses and due to everyone parking on the streets you get blocked in . real bad when you want or need to leave.

Folly is nice but in summer weekends are too crowded.....parking is terrible. we have rented houses and due to everyone parking on the streets you get blocked in . real bad when you want or need to leave.
Yes but they have taco boy.

Not in order not just five
Fishing in the trees across from Santee state park
Watching a sunrise atop table rock on a fall morning
Almost anywhere on a SC beach at sunrise (the sounds, the smells, the sun light breaking though the darkness).
A Friday night football game in late September or early October (a rivalry game) it is an event to breathe in deeply!
The first viewing of a grandchild through those hospital windows
A child, a grandchild, a close friend, someone whose life you have touched be baptized (the emotions, the deepest emotions, the blessing of that event)
Cherry Grove Point (at low tide) with the grand kids..
Cherry Grove Beach
Founders Park
Cherry Grove Beach
Cherry Grove Beach
We have a condo there! It is a great area!

Reactions: Silverspur02
Williams Brice Stadium

Murrells Inlet Marshwalk

Sullivan’s Island

Lake Murray

The Vista

1. Williams Brice (When its not 100+ degrees)
2. Lake Keowee
3. Fripp Island
4. Peach Orchard Branch area
5. Downtown Greenville

Wow! You mentioned Barnwell, Kline and Hampton... Being an Allendale boy I know all of those places too well. None make my favorite places list though! LOL

I WILL follow you up on Beaufort though, esoecially Hunting Island. My oarents built a house on the marsh on Lady’s Island when I was a kid and that is the most peaceful place on Earth to me!
Besides that:
2- Charleston
3- Columbia (really improved since I Have lived here)
4- Downtown Greenville (the whole rest of that part of the state can kiss it)
5- any of the Islands just past Charleston.

Intentionally excluded- Myrtle Beach.
I live in the Myrtle Beach area and unfortunately have to agree with you until the crime is cleaned up and they figure out the traffic problem.

Ocean Drive where the women in there are 60ish ! It might not be your thing but it

Someone mentioned fishing for flounder in Breech Inlet

The parking and hassle of getting out to IOP or SI makes those beaches a little less attractive to me. I live five miles from both. Luckily I can go many places by boat, but boating around Charleston is a crowded experience most nice weekends n Spring and Summer.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
Pawleys Island
Fleet Landing
My favorite fishing lake
Mountains
Anywhere with my family

Last edited:
Agreed. The road gets backed up for miles into James island. I’ll take Hunting Island...Sands Beach in port Royal is awesome to pull your car into. It’s not a very good swimming/surfing beach but I don’t go into the water unless I can see my feet anyway.

That’s Fantastic! I know it’s not easy (and is expensive) but everyone I’ve ever treated has been so happy they did it. Hope all is well. Stay safe.

Yes, I'm really glad I had the procedure. Do you personally do the implant procedures?

ADVERTISEMENT