ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Top five favorite places in South Carolina

Chatooga River North of Burrell's. Wild born brown trout.

Tailrace at Buzzard's Roost (lake Greenwood). Stripers.

Tailrace at Camden (Lake Wateree) Stripers again.

Anywhere natural that might be left on John's Island (My uncle sold his farm on a marsh creek and it was developed right after Hugo. :confused:) Suburbian masions now cover the land where, as a kid and teen, I could shoot ducks, geese, and 12 coveys before lunch and dine on crab legs, shrimp and oyster for lunch. Listen to football or basketball after lunch. Maybe throw the cast net for a shrimp re-fill. Shoot a deer or more quail in the evening and gig for flounder at night. Those years had some Thanksgivings of plenty - but no turkeys.

I saw Table Rock and Caesar's Head mentioned above, I haven't visited those places since I was in grade school.

Reactions: jeff2001
I like folly, it has kind of a small town beach feel to it. However, it can get pretty crowded depending on when you go. I like Cherry Grove because it offers a bit of charleston style beach town without the massive crowds (can still get busy in the summer) but things move a little slower there. For the record run down beach towns are my favorite.
As a wee small boy my relatives took me along to Folly Beach from Rock Hill one evening.
First time seeing and hearing the Ocean!! I have loved it ever since, Both of our Oceans, the Atlantic, and the Pacific.
I have been in both countless time over the years.
How God has blessed this great Nation!

University of South Carolina campus between The Horseshoe and Capstone, with the center being Gibbs Green. Always loved that area and every time I walked through there as a student, I felt blessed.
The Graveyard at the Unitarian Church in Charleston.
Williams Bryce on gameday but not always because of the team- because of the energy, brotherhood, sights, and sounds.
Folly Beach and IOP
HWY 17 between Charleston and Beaufort.
My old neighborhood in West Ashley, Charleston. We had it good

Reactions: 67gamecock
Yes and no. I place single implants at certain spots, but send other single and all the multi implant stuff to oral surgeons. I do place the crowns or the fixed dentures onto the implants they place though.

WOW! That's a cool practice.

Not in order not just five
Fishing in the trees across from Santee state park
Watching a sunrise atop table rock on a fall morning
Almost anywhere on a SC beach at sunrise (the sounds, the smells, the sun light breaking though the darkness).
A Friday night football game in late September or early October (a rivalry game) it is an event to breathe in deeply!
The first viewing of a grandchild through those hospital windows
A child, a grandchild, a close friend, someone whose life you have touched be baptized (the emotions, the deepest emotions, the blessing of that event)
I’m not a fisherman, but the rest of the list is outstanding. The first one is too I’m sure - I just wouldn’t know.

I think I've learned a lot about you guys from this thread. Helps me understand the type people we have on this site. For those that responded. Pretty cool responses.

Reactions: cfbfan15
Agreed. The road gets backed up for miles into James island. I’ll take Hunting Island...Sands Beach in port Royal is awesome to pull your car into. It’s not a very good swimming/surfing beach but I don’t go into the water unless I can see my feet anyway.
Yes, the Sands is car-friendly and convenient for those in Port Royal and Beaufort, but not much for swimming. Not my forté, but I'm glad it's there and that there's a crowd which likes it.

University of South Carolina campus between The Horseshoe and Capstone, with the center being Gibbs Green. Always loved that area and every time I walked through there as a student, I felt blessed.
Williams Bryce on gameday but not always because of the team- because of the energy, brotherhood, sights, and sounds.
Folly Beach and IOP
You might want to rethink US 17 between Charleston and Gardens Corner. It's now four-lane the entire route. I remember as a pre-teen the few times we went to Charleston from Beaufort (we went mostly to Savannah since it was a shorter drive by about 30 minutes each way) enjoying the two-lane road with the moss-draped trees hanging over the highway. Beautiful. All gone. The moss-draped route to Savannah is gone too.

I have a few similar responses, love Folly, Pawleys Island, IOP, also Summerville, and of course the USC campus. but Aiken is pretty much my favorite town in SC (that I’ve seen).

You might want to rethink US 17 between Charleston and Gardens Corner. It's now four-lane the entire route. I remember as a pre-teen the few times we went to Charleston from Beaufort (we went mostly to Savannah since it was a shorter drive by about 30 minutes each way) enjoying the two-lane road with the moss-draped trees hanging over the highway. Beautiful. All gone. The moss-draped route to Savannah is gone too.
It's still a nice drive. Especially at the marshes just before the Combahee. And the area just at the Ashepoo.

Last edited:
Reactions: 67gamecock
yea- it's been a while!

There are some exceptional places along the intercoastal waterway. One of the most beautiful in my opinion is just off the waterway. A place called Sandy Island. Nowadays it is too commercialized but 20 years ago you could cruise along the the old ricefields and watch the Ospreys feeding their young. One of the moments when I could sense the majesty of this planet and its creator happened at sunset on the Waccamaw. I have pictures of it on my computer. South end of Pawleys at low tide is like that too.
When you get the Pawleys Island sand in your shoes it is too late! You are hooked forever, it never goes away, it never fades away. It’s worse than the Garnet blood of a true Gamecock!

Reactions: OldWiseCock
I saw Table Rock and Caesar's Head mentioned above, I haven't visited those places since I was in grade school.

Me neither. Had a family reunion up at Table Rock in early 70s (I think) and learned I had a distant cousin named Enamel.

It was pronounced EEE-na-mell. Her folks saw it on the back of a new frying pan and though it sounded pretty.

Reactions: sgacock
Yes, the Sands is car-friendly and convenient for those in Port Royal and Beaufort, but not much for swimming. Not my forté, but I'm glad it's there and that there's a crowd which likes it.
I’ve caught way too many sharks and stingrays in Beaufort to go into the water. Most common animal related issue in the ER is stepping on Stingrays at HHI.

1. Burrells Ford, Long Creek area for the trout fishing
2. NMB Travel park in the off seasons. quiet and laid back
3. Any lake fishing and relaxing on my boat, especially Jocassee in the fall
4. Cruising on back roads with the top down, nowhere to go and no time to be there
5. Sitting on my front porch , rocking, watching neighbor kids play and the world slowly go by

4. Cruising on back roads with the top down, nowhere to go and no time to be there
5. Sitting on my front porch , rocking, watching neighbor kids play and the world slowly go by
I like it Bubba. I taught in Salem for 4 years before they shut down the school and opened the new Walhalla, Jocassee it a beautiful place! Your last two make me think we would get along well, with the exception of our favorite football teams!

Number 4 is my favorite thing to do period, always has been and always will be. Especially, when I'm out West. Well, maybe not with the top down because I don't own a convertible.

I like it Bubba. I taught in Salem for 4 years before they shut down the school and opened the new Walhalla, Jocassee it a beautiful place! Your last two make me think we would get along well, with the exception of our favorite football teams!
Brother, I am just a simple country boy who loves the Gamecocks. Being raised in Greenville made the rolling hills and lakes my playground. I enjoy just getting out and seeing what the Creator has done. Yep , we could get along pretty well. I have friends who went "up thar" . Doesn't make us any less friends.

If one so desired and they wanted to drive down a two lane highway with moss hanging down from the trees almost touching the road. Is there such a road in existence today in SC?

Reactions: NMB Dave
My List:
1. Cherry Grove Point (at low tide)
2. Garden City Board Walk on the inlet (especially at sunset)
3. Sullivans Island
4. Folly Beach
5. Sunset, SC (Camp McCall, specifically the Chapel)
I've made that hike up to that chapel many times back in the day. Another great memory from there is Lake Chilly Water.

Folly Beach and IOP

Your reference to your old neighborhood in West Ashley reminded me of my old neighborhood on the peninsular - Wagener Terrace - just north of Hampton Park. Our house was 60 feet from The Citadel campus . . . . . memories.

Reactions: ken in sacramento
Chatooga River North of Burrell's. Wild born brown trout.

Tailrace at Buzzard's Roost (lake Greenwood). Stripers.

Tailrace at Camden (Lake Wateree) Stripers again.

Anywhere natural that might be left on John's Island (My uncle sold his farm on a marsh creek and it was developed right after Hugo. :confused:) Suburbian masions now cover the land where, as a kid and teen, I could shoot ducks, geese, and 12 coveys before lunch and dine on crab legs, shrimp and oyster for lunch. Listen to football or basketball after lunch. Maybe throw the cast net for a shrimp re-fill. Shoot a deer or more quail in the evening and gig for flounder at night. Those years had some Thanksgivings of plenty - but no turkeys.
I’ve never fished Buzzards Roost tailrace, but I used to do quite a bit of work down there. Those guys are fishing the tailrace in all kinds of weather. I’ve even seen them fishing when it was sleeting! I’ve got a small collection of lures that fishermen lost in the rocks. I’ve picked up a couple that came through the windows of the powerhouse. I saw the biggest largemouth bass I’ve ever seen in my life in the discharge of the hydro. It looked like a baby grouper!

I’ve never fished Buzzards Roost tailrace, but I used to do quite a bit of work down there. Those guys are fishing the tailrace in all kinds of weather. I’ve even seen them fishing when it was sleeting! I’ve got a small collection of lures that fishermen lost in the rocks. I’ve picked up a couple that came through the windows of the powerhouse. I saw the biggest largemouth bass I’ve ever seen in my life in the discharge of the hydro. It looked like a baby grouper!

I grew up in Greenville and started fishing Buzzard's Roost at about age 10 with my uncles. At first it was mostly for white perch with doll flies. As I grew enough to handle a big rod, it was almost purely bucktails for stripers until I went to Carolina. Fished many Spring days after class under the Gervais St. Bridge for stripers with theadfin until I discovered that Wateree was only a short drive away for Saturday/Sunday fishing. Texas rig with shad.

I now live in Georgia near a small power dam that offers good Spring Striper fishing and year round shoal bass fishing. I have never fished the Broad in/above Columbia for smallmouth even though I am avid river canoe fisherman. Bucket list.

Reactions: Bear_Rooster
Walking out on Cherry Grove point without knowing about tides are dangerous to your health. Lots of people have been rescued from there and many have drowned

Time it up at low tide and it's right over to Waites Island.....Hog Inlet is great from Labor Day to Easter.....

East coast sunset while dining outside at Hilton Head's Old Fort Pub.
Waterfall tour of Pickens and Oconee Counties with a meal at nearby Dillard House
Oyster recycling kayak put in at Murrells Inlet and then on to Prosser's BBQ.
Camden's Goodale State Park via kayak ( incredible Blue Heron nesting site )
Cateechee Beach ( few know this exotic location ) tied with little known Peach Tree Rock and it's rare Midlands waterfall.

Honorable mention goes to the winding road from Oconee State Park to Highlands in a good handling car.
Dang and Prosser's just closed for good.....

I grew up in Greenville and started fishing Buzzard's Roost at about age 10 with my uncles. At first it was mostly for white perch with doll flies. As I grew enough to handle a big rod, it was almost purely bucktails for stripers until I went to Carolina. Fished many Spring days after class under the Gervais St. Bridge for stripers with theadfin until I discovered that Wateree was only a short drive away for Saturday/Sunday fishing. Texas rig with shad.

I now live in Georgia near a small power dam that offers good Spring Striper fishing and year round shoal bass fishing. I have never fished the Broad in/above Columbia for smallmouth even though I am avid river canoe fisherman. Bucket list.
I have several Buzzard Roost specials. It’s a homemade lure. I know a guy who makes them. The body is oval and is made from Delrin ( a white poly plastic material) .It has a treble hook underneath it and another at the end with a bucktail attached.

ADVERTISEMENT