ADVERTISEMENT

OT: US Open @ Pebble Beach

Carolina4

Oct 9, 2006
US Open back at Pebble Beach, where it should be played every 5 years like The Open is at St Andrews...but glad it’s back here either way.

Found it funny that Rory whips out a Raptors jersey in Canada after winning the Canadian Open. Wonder if he realizes he’ll be playing his practice round tomorrow and a major this week in Warriors country?

Rory peaking at the right time. Hard to go against Koepka in any tournament right now. Can Phil finally find the magic and complete the career grand slam? Remember, he won at Pebble in February this year. Dustin Johnson is really good at Pebble. Does Eldrick have another vintage week in him? Even Spieth is getting into good form recently. Lot of good story lines heading into this one. Who you got?

Great course for Tiger and a few others. Really looking foward to it. Hard to believe this is already the 3rd major of the year.

Reactions: cockofdawn
If Tiger doesn't contend here - and maybe at certain other shorter British Open Championship venues, he probably won't be winning any more majors that aren't the Masters. He can't overpower courses anymore. His advantage this week is that this is a course he won't have to. This isn't Bethpage Black.

Hoping Rory stays hot this week. I like Tiger and DJ this week.

Couple of side notes, happy to see GMAC qualified for The Open next month.

Will Fowler ever win a major?

If Tiger doesn't contend here - and maybe at certain other shorter British Open Championship venues, he probably won't be winning any more majors that aren't the Masters. He can't overpower courses anymore. His advantage this week is that this is a course he won't have to. This isn't Bethpage Black.
\Agreed , idont see him winning here, THIS YEAR, a British or at Augusta is his best chance for another Major..

US Open back at Pebble Beach, where it should be played every 5 years like The Open is at St Andrews...but glad it’s back here either way.

Found it funny that Rory whips out a Raptors jersey in Canada after winning the Canadian Open. Wonder if he realizes he’ll be playing his practice round tomorrow and a major this week in Warriors country?

Rory peaking at the right time. Hard to go against Koepka in any tournament right now. Can Phil finally find the magic and complete the career grand slam? Remember, he won at Pebble in February this year. Dustin Johnson is really good at Pebble. Does Eldrick have another vintage week in him? Even Spieth is getting into good form recently. Lot of good story lines heading into this one. Who you got?
Tiger and Phil spray their drives too much to win a U.S. Open. If the Masters had real rough, Tiger would not have won. Unless the USGA changes its policy on the rough, those guys are out. The best money will be on DJ and Koepka, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone comes out of nowhere. Seems like we're ripe for that.

Tiger and Phil spray their drives too much to win a U.S. Open. If the Masters had real rough, Tiger would not have won. Unless the USGA changes its policy on the rough, those guys are out. The best money will be on DJ and Koepka, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone comes out of nowhere. Seems like we're ripe for that.

I'm a DJ fan. But Dustin simply is not putting well enough! Tiger and Phil won't have to hit as many drivers at Pebble Beach!

I think Tiger absolutely can win here. This is a Tiger Course, and when he lays off, he can hit fairways. He will have that opportunity this week at a Course where he should be extremely confident in his game. Also - don’t forget that he is the best iron player of all-time. Pebble has the smallest greens on the PGA tour, and a strong iron game is important.

If I’m betting, I’m taking Koepka. Guy has been amazing and hard to pick against him. Not a reach, obviously.

Not sure it’s a longshot, but maybe not the sexiest pick out there...Webb Simpson. He’s been playing pretty well.

Who do I want to see win it? Phil or Koepka. I love watching Koepka dominate these majors and Phil completing the career grand slam would be amazing. Runner up in 6 of these...I disagree with anyone that says he doesn’t have the game. Only thing going against Phil is he’s inconsistent at this age, but if he plays well this week he has a legitimate shot.

If I’m betting, I’m taking Koepka. Guy has been amazing and hard to pick against him. Not a reach, obviously.

Not sure it’s a longshot, but maybe not the sexiest pick out there...Webb Simpson. He’s been playing pretty well.

Who do I want to see win it? Phil or Koepka. I love watching Koepka dominate these majors and Phil completing the career grand slam would be amazing. Runner up in 6 of these...I disagree with anyone that says he doesn’t have the game. Only thing going against Phil is he’s inconsistent at this age, but if he plays well this week he has a legitimate shot.

Yep, you've got to have Koepka at the top of the list. I also like that Chamblee guy having to eat crow.

Tiger is 60th out of 209 in driving accuracy but it can go south on him at any time. He’s certainly no Furyk off the tee but it seems to be getting better.

He is a Longshot, Never won a Major, and is going up against Rory, Tiger, DJ, Fowler, Koepka etc etc.. So yes, a Longshot, I guess i should have said Darkhorse..

Right. As of now Cantlay has the 6th best odds in the field behind Spieth and ahead of Justin Rose. But I knew what you meant. All good.

US Open Odds

Phil is still my favorite golfer, but he really has no chance in this one (and I hope to eat crow). He had the Open in the bag at Olympic (year?) and choked on 18, taking triple bogey. He will always be the guy with 6 runner-ups in the U.S. Open. Bummer.

Phil is still my favorite golfer, but he really has no chance in this one (and I hope to eat crow). He had the Open in the bag at Olympic (year?) and choked on 18, taking triple bogey. He will always be the guy with 6 runner-ups in the U.S. Open. Bummer.
Winged Foot.

Reactions: HI Cock
Tiger is 60th out of 209 in driving accuracy but it can go south on him at any time. He’s certainly no Furyk off the tee but it seems to be getting better.
And he's won there before. It comes down to the driver and putter for him. He went from being a world-class driver to long and unpredictable when he left Titleist and Butch Harmon.

Not sure I wouldn't have him ahead of Spieth, who is still trying to figure out his swing.

Spieth game has come together much more recently. He’s been ok in the majors this year. I’d have no problem if he was higher, but I’d bet my own money on Spieth over Cantlay.

Last edited:
Spieth game has come together much more recently. He’s been ok in the majors this year. I’d have no problem if he was higher, but I’d bet my own money on Spieth over Cantlay.
If they both are in contention late, I agree with you. There's infinite value in having done it before.

Reactions: Carolina4
That is absolutely correct. Provided a guy isn't absolutely crooked, the tournament will be determined from the second shots through the putts.
my point is, if you are "Gearing Back" it is easier (Most of the time) to hit a fairway..
Someone needs to make a little POOL of some type.. I used to do them at work for each major, but havent done it in a while..

my point is, if you are "Gearing Back" it is easier (Most of the time) to hit a fairway..
Someone needs to make a little POOL of some type.. I used to do them at work for each major, but havent done it in a while..
Gearing back probably means three-woods and hybrids off many of the tees for the Koepkas and Johnsons.

That is absolutely correct. Provided a guy isn't absolutely crooked, the tournament will be determined from the second shots through the putts.
That is correct - as the USGA is typically decided (and even more so at PB), it will be all about hitting fairways and greens in regulation and putting. The USGA has no need to destroy the greens because they are the smallest on the tour, and the premium for hitting fairways and greens will be high.

With that said, Tiger and Koepka have great strengths - Tiger being the best iron player I the game on a course that he knows better than anyone on tour, and Koepka who hits fairways and greens with consistency and has no distinct weaknesses in his game.

Those are my 2 picks...

He got lucky after banging a driver off the toolshed. Then he got stupid again. That was tough to watch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT