ADVERTISEMENT

OT: US Open Thread

cockn'fyr

Mar 26, 2006
Looks like the mad scientist might be leading by the end of the day! 5 bogey's, 5 birdie's and an eagle today

Reactions: cockofdawn
Reed hanging on as well as he did was a surprise. I expected more from Rory.
Reeds short game will keep him around, he didn’t hit many fairways today and still hung in there, liking Todd and English’s play as well! Rory still on a Poppy high, might not be his week!

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Would not be shocked if Schauffle, Simpson and Oosthuizen move up near leaders by days end. These guys keep it in the fairway.
The wind continues to be a factor.
If there is any rain the deep rough will be almost unplayable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Would not be shocked if Schauffle, Simpson and Oosthuizen move up near leaders by days end. These guys keep it in the fairway.

hard to move up when bogeys and pars cover the score card

Webb Simpson would be my dark horse. I think Reed will be tough however.

Wolff has an interesting swing technique.
There are a couple of guys with "unorthodox swings" right now. Wolfe, Berger and of course DeChambeau.

I don't think Wolff can survive today. I think -2 to -4 will win but it will likely be Bryson or possibly Louis or Xander. Reed fell too far yesterday on the back 9.

The pin placements today will be criminal.

There are a couple of guys with "unorthodox swings" right now. Wolfe, Berger and of course DeChambeau.

I don't think Wolff can survive today. I think -2 to -4 will win but it will likely be Bryson or possibly Louis or Xander. Reed fell too far yesterday on the back 9.

The pin placements today will be criminal.
DeChambeau looks so stiff in his posture.

I love golf, especially the majors...but haven’t been able to get into as much with football on. Miss the Ryder Cup this time of year. The Masters in November could be good...just hope we get the real deal in April.

Oh and it doesn’t help that many of the Best American golfers are douche bags.

Golf changing before our eyes??

I don’t know. I always wonder about that. They made a huge deal out of it when Tiger started with such a bang. And sure enough, most of the field caught up to him in driving distance, etc. But I’ll be honest, I can’t see DeChambeou’s method of playing the game taking over. I’m not sure anybody really understands how he breaks things down (perhaps even himself to an extent), and I can’t see traditional clubbing going away. It sure will be interesting to see.

Reactions: pulley bone
If he can overpower with finesse that course, he can win anywhere, somebody’s just going to have to be better that week to beat him, which happens a lot!

Winged Foot is Holy Ground, and he pummeled it. The USGA is about to take on the distance issue. This will bring it on. I have mixed emotions. I hate to see great courses rendered obsolete. You can only lengthen courses so much. But I don't like to see progress and innovation impeded, either.

He will humble Augusta. He'll have nothing into most of the greens. It will be like Tiger in 2000, which resulted in several hundred yards of added length and the "second cut".

It will only be a matter of how many putts DeChambeau can make. The cold and northerly winds might hamper him some in November, but it won't be that way in April.

Winged Foot is Holy Ground, and he pummeled it. The USGA is about to take on the distance issue. This will bring it on. I have mixed emotions. I hate to see great courses rendered obsolete. You can only lengthen courses so much. But I don't like to see progress and innovation impeded, either.

He will humble Augusta. He'll have nothing into most of the greens. It will be like Tiger in 2000, which resulted in several hundred yards of added length and the "second cut".

It will only be a matter of how many putts DeChambeau can make. The cold and northerly winds might hamper him some in November, but it won't be that way in April.
I have heard this proposed before that “they have to do something about the distance issue”.. But I am with you having mixed emotions about it. My initial reaction is “do they have to do anything?”... Like in football- guys tun farther, faster now than ever... QBs can toss 50-60 yard bombs on a DIME with greater frequency and consistency than ever before.. they aren’t going to make the fields bigger! Golf is a different animal but -6 does not make a mockery of Winged Foot, he just flat out played better than everyone else. It is not like he does this every weekend... I don’t know man, there will likely be some rule changes but Bryson is a dedicated, smart player and he will find the best way to play within the rules. He is honestly rapidly becoming one of my favorite golfers! He is just fun to watch, has a great attitude and seems to just flat love the game! Congrats to this young man!

I have heard this proposed before that “they have to do something about the distance issue”.. But I am with you having mixed emotions about it. My initial reaction is “do they have to do anything?”... Like in football- guys tun farther, faster now than ever... QBs can toss 50-60 yard bombs on a DIME with greater frequency and consistency than ever before.. they aren’t going to make the fields bigger! Golf is a different animal but -6 does not make a mockery of Winged Foot, he just flat out played better than everyone else. It is not like he does this every weekend... I don’t know man, there will likely be some rule changes but Bryson is a dedicated, smart player and he will find the best way to play within the rules. He is honestly rapidly becoming one of my favorite golfers! He is just fun to watch, has a great attitude and seems to just flat love the game! Congrats to this young man!
There will likely be a competition ball. Casual golfers will still be able to buy today's balls, although most of us can't get the same benefits from premium balls that the pros can anyway. Speed is the thing. Driver liveliness will possibly be rolled back also for tournament players.

Just grow the rough and narrow the fairways, it took care of the field this week and only one was under par, that tones it down enough for me and makes it very competitive!

Just grow the rough and narrow the fairways, it took care of the field this week and only one was under par, that tones it down enough for me and makes it very competitive!
People don't want to see penal courses like that every week. They enjoy seeing the pros score and put on rallies. They don't want to see Augusta National set up like that. They don't want to see people hitting it to # 18 from 73 yards, either, as Tiger did before the last previous lengthening. The Masters has already floated the idea of having its own competition ball. Nicklaus had advocated reigning in the ball. Don't change the character of every tournament course just to keep courses relevant. The solution is simpler than that, and need not apply to club-level golfers, either.

People don't want to see penal courses like that every week. They enjoy seeing the pros score and put on rallies. They don't want to see Augusta National set up like that. They don't want to see people hitting it to # 18 from 73 yards, either, as Tiger did before the last previous lengthening. The Masters has already floated the idea of having its own competition ball. Nicklaus had advocated reigning in the ball. Don't change the character of every tournament course just to keep courses relevant. The solution is simpler than that, and need not apply to club-level golfers, either.
The rough wont stop these guys if they are 100 out... Gotta do more. Bryson just bombed it as long as he could.. I say put Rattlesnakes in the rough, that is only thing that can deter them..

I didn't feel like Bryson pummeled Winged Foot. -6 won it. That's just a little more than -1 per round. The rough still did it's job for the most part.
How many US Opens played at Winged Foot were won with scores even approaching that? Yet this course has been lengthened periodically throughout the years. Bryson hammered this course while playing with complete abandon. That shouldn't be possible. Don't get me wrong. I like him; I enjoy him: I'm happy for him. He could humble Augusta National, even at more than 7400 yards. The powers were watching. All the ANGC people are doing now is waiting on the sanctioning bodies to frame their response on the distance issue. Then they will know how to proceed with the reconfiguration of #13. Actually, if nothing were done concerning equipment, Augusta would need to lengthen ALL their par-fives or reduce some of them to par-fours, which would be tragic.

Last edited:
Like they said on golf channel this morning,bring back the spinning balls.it will negate the high club head speeds.

How many US Opens played at Winged Foot were won with scores even approaching that? Yet this course has been lengthened periodically throughout the years. Bryson hammered this course while playing with complete abandon. That shouldn't be possible. Don't get me wrong. I like him; I enjoy him: I'm happy for him. He could humble Augusta National, even at more than 7400 yards. The powers were watching. All the ANGC people are doing now is waiting on the sanctioning bodies to frame their response on the distance issue. Then they will know how to proceed with the reconfiguration of #13. Actually, if nothing were done concerning equipment, Augusta would need to lengthen ALL their par-fives or reduce some of them to par-fours, which would be tragic.
Only one other - Fuzzy in 1984 at -4 in a playoff against Norman.
But there was a -11 carded in the 1997 PGA Championship by DL3. :)

Last edited:
I think the last US Open winner was +5 back in 2006. Before that Davis Love won at -11 and before that was Fuzzy Zoeller at -4.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT