ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Utah State head coach declined $2.7 million buyout

DibbleDee

Nov 16, 2020
It was his second stint at the school. He was dismissed after starting 0-3 this season (was 7-6 last year). Signed a separation agreement freeing the school of any further financial obligation.

The kicker? It was the SECOND time he'd done this. When he and Oregon State mutually parted ways he signed a similar agreement.

Talk about some rock-solid character. He may not be a great football coach, but he's a great man.

Read another article this and fans are actually blasting him for doing this. Said he wasn't taking care of his family, he was hurting the coaching profession, saying he has to look out for himself.

Sad commentary on the state of society.
Hurting the coaching profession? Sounds like when I had a job working for a local government. I was literally told to intentionally slow down my work because it would "make everyone look bad" (aka they will make us work harder). Blew my mind. I had heard people saying that goes on but always thought it was an exaggeration.

• Haha
Reactions: DibbleDee
Hurting the coaching profession? Sounds like when I had a job working for a local government. I was literally told to intentionally slow down my work because it would "make everyone look bad" (aka they will make us work harder). Blew my mind. I had heard people saying that goes on but always thought it was an exaggeration.

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry at that.

I'd honestly like to see a salary cap for college coaching staffs similar to how the NFL does for players. Hypothetical: X team has $25million in coaching salary cap. Want to pay Dabo $10million, ok, now you don't have enough left to keep the best coordinators and assistants like Venables. Might create some more competition instead of the same 3 teams every year.

It was his second stint at the school. He was dismissed after starting 0-3 this season (was 7-6 last year). Signed a separation agreement freeing the school of any further financial obligation.

The kicker? It was the SECOND time he'd done this. When he and Oregon State mutually parted ways he signed a similar agreement.

Talk about some rock-solid character. He may not be a great football coach, but he's a great man.

I read this earlier in the week. Actually he left two buyouts on the table if I read it correctly. I guess that's his definition of integrity. He knew he hadn't gotten the job done. It's refreshing if nothing else.

Reactions: SOSUSC and Zann77
I'd honestly like to see a salary cap for college coaching staffs similar to how the NFL does for players. Hypothetical: X team has $25million in coaching salary cap. Want to pay Dabo $10million, ok, now you don't have enough left to keep the best coordinators and assistants like Venables. Might create some more competition instead of the same 3 teams every year.
I’m all for lowering scholarship numbers but this is just flat out stupid.

He also paid a $2 million buyout to leave Wisconsin. He quit Wisconsin and then later quit Oregon State in the middle of the season. Odd fellow.

We fired people for telling others to slow down

I've been in state government for 8 years now. Toughest and most grueling job I've ever had. I like what I do, and everyone gets along, but even though I am a manager, my staff and I are closely supervised by a department head and are accountable for every detail. That's probably not true for all state employees, but it is for me.

Reactions: Falcon2323
He also paid a $2 million buyout to leave Wisconsin. He quit Wisconsin and then later quit Oregon State in the middle of the season. Odd fellow.

Met Gary Andersen, he is a very old school. Believes in hard work , straightforward and players respect him.

He left Wisconsin for two reasons. AD Barry Alvarez was too hands on wanting him to run that ground and pound offense and the admissions was so strict most of he players he recruited couldn't get in. Wisconsin is up there with Stanford and Northwestern as far as admission requirements and they show no favortism to athletes. He also mentored Dave Aranda, who was his DC at Utah St (first stint) and also took him to Wisconsin. Dave went on to LSU as their DC and is currently the HC at Baylor.

I've been in state government for 8 years now. Toughest and most grueling job I've ever had. I like what I do, and everyone gets along, but even though I am a manager, my staff and I are closely supervised by a department head and are accountable for every detail. That's probably not true for all state employees, but it is for me.
There’s no doubt there are plenty of government jobs/municipalities that put in good work. My intention wasn’t to lump millions of people into my one experience. This was years ago, early in my career. I was just surprised (naive?) it goes on at all. I can’t imagine having that mentality myself so when I had heard people say it about some union jobs and government jobs, I just chalked it up to being an exaggeration.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
There’s no doubt there are plenty of government jobs/municipalities that put in good work. My intention wasn’t to lump millions of people into my one experience. This was years ago, early in my career. I was just surprised (naive?) it goes on at all. I can’t imagine having that mentality myself so when I had heard people say it about some union jobs and government jobs, I just chalked it up to being an exaggeration.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were. It's just that you hear so many horror stories about government employees and the lack of accountability. It's probably like any other business. Some people are dedicated and some people just want to collect a paycheck.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were. It's just that you hear so many horror stories about government employees and the lack of accountability. It's probably like any other business. Some people are dedicated and some people just want to collect a paycheck.

I don't want to get too political, but there's a very fundamental difference in economic incentives between an enterprise that's funded by taxes versus one that has to attract revenue from willing customers.

[/UOTE]
Many years ago, I went with a friend to visit the Thurmond Building/Highway Dept. over behind the fairgrounds. We were supposed to go to the 2nd or 3rd floor. Got on the elevator, and a harried-looking fellow with a state-employee badge hanging got on the elevator with us. I asked the guy, "Hey, Pal, how many people work here?" His answer, which I have never forgotten, was, "MAYBE half!!". We all had a good laugh.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT