ADVERTISEMENT

OT: VERY hypothetical tax question...will never happen

jsusc

Aug 12, 2004
This does not apply to me or anyone I know. I wish it did. This is just something I had going through my mind with so much free time and was hoping someone would know the answer.

I am a South Carolina resident and work in South Carolina. Suppose I move to Florida in July. I become a Florida resident. I lease an apartment, get a Florida drivers license, register to vote...all of those things, and become a Florida resident by the end of July. Then, on August 1st, I win the Powerball lottery of 200 million on a ticket bought in Florida. Would I have any tax obligations to South Carolina as far as the lottery winnings since I was a Florida resident and bought the ticket in Florida when I won? I realize I was a South Carolina resident for 2/3 of the year, but again, when I bought the ticket and won I was a Florida resident and the money was not "earned" in South Carolina. Anyone have an idea? I can't find a clear answer anywhere. Thanks, and I hope I have this problem someday, because I promise we will have a national championship in football and men's basketball soon after.

You would not have to pay taxes on income received while a resident of another state unless the income was earned from SC. So, no.

JqS6luU.gif

Can 2 heterosexual roomates get a marriage license,get married by justice of peace and then reap the tax benefits of a couple? If one does not have a job or is in school, can the other put him on his insurance?

Probably more likely scenario than above.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT