ADVERTISEMENT

OT: video, When people find out you’re from the south

This isn’t a good excuse but my southern accent has caused me to have spelling issues all my life.my mom’s uncle came up years ago from Florida and he was amazed at my abbreviations for words that we use here or atleast I used by us country folk.We had a sub teacher in high school that came from Charleston I think and she had a heavy accent.we asked he about it and she said it was common down there.don’t know if that’s true or not.all this was over 30 years ago.

I may have had that very conversation with some damn Yankees when I was at Carolina.

@jedi_mike A Charleston accent is a very real thing. Mine comes out when I'm mad, or drunk, or both.
She was a nice lady but was hard to understand sometimes.we actually spent time in class talking about it when she mentioned it.I guess it turned into a history/English lesson when we wasn’t in history/English class.

My wife and I have made several trips up North and I have a very distinct southern accent, I don't really remember being kidded about it anywhere, most people that we were around liked our accent, they may have been kidding but I couldn't tell it. We ate at a restaurant in Madison, Wisc. for lunch and they loved our accent and couldn't believe we were there all the way from SC. I actually love to see different peoples reaction, doesn't bother me.

Anyone ever listened to the "Gullah" album by Dick Reeves? It came out in 1963. I remember listening to it with the family gathered around the record player. I was only 11 years old but found it to be quite funny. Talk about an accent!!!

While in England, spent a week in Bath at an attached apartment to the owner's home. They were baffled by my accent. It was sorta "Texan" to them, but not. We were able to communicate without trouble.

My sister in law was accused of being Texan while in Maui. She's been asked to "talk some more!"

Around 1986 I went on a trip (business) to a small city in Ontario. I may have been the first true Southerner (that didn't hide his accent) most had ever heard. And, the young ladies loved it, I mean really loved it. I kind of felt like I discovered a new civilization, then after 3 days I had to undiscover it and come home.

I was on the phone the other day with a vendor in Fort Worth, Texas. We had the usual greeting, then I went into what I needed from her to finish my task at hand. When I finished she said "Sorry, sweetie, but I was enjoying your accent so much I wasn't paying attention to what you were saying. Can you repeat it? I'll listen this time" :) I was flattered. I've also had people in Maine comment on how much they love the southern accent. My wife is from MD. When I met her she sounded rather northern to me. Now, some 18 years later, she sometimes sounds more southern than me.

I like the accents I grew up with in South Carolina. But when I hear Deep South like Georgia or Alabama, or Appalachian like Tennessee, I think they sound like hilljacks. We are more genteel in the Carolinas

Around 1986 I went on a trip (business) to a small city in Ontario. I may have been the first true Southerner (that didn't hide his accent) most had ever heard. And, the young ladies loved it, I mean really loved it. I kind of felt like I discovered a new civilization, then after 3 days I had to undiscover it and come home.

same thing happened to me, but in California some years ago. I was in a bar and and was talking to a couple of women from Los Angeles and they were literally gushing over my accent.

What hilarious is I’m as country as it gets and my wife and her entire family are from south Boston . My father in law was a Southy project kid . Needless to say my daughter has the most jacked up accent known to man . It’s like Bill Burr meets Charlie Daniels . Freaking hilarious. “Hey y’all wanna go sit in the Ca “

You could throw them off by referring to the electric bill as the "hydro" and by pronouncing the last letter of the alphabet as "zed" rather than "zee". Personally, I like "zed" better since so many letters sound too much alike.

Reactions: SCexpat38
I grew up in Summerville and I honestly don't have much of an accent, but I'll put it on when I get upset. I've never really thought much about it, growing up with accents all around me. People are always surprised when I tell them I'm from the South.

Reactions: SCexpat38
What hilarious is I’m as country as it gets and my wife and her entire family are from south Boston . My father in law was a Southy project kid . Needless to say my daughter has the most jacked up accent known to man . It’s like Bill Burr meets Charlie Daniels . Freaking hilarious. “Hey y’all wanna go sit in the Ca “
Haha
20b10f09de7aca6f431bbeaf55f93a87.jpg

That’s hilarious. What’s even crazier is their neighbors are all Cajuns . When I say Cajuns I mean sometimes you need a translator . Until you’ve heard a drunken conversation between a guy from the deepest part of South Boston and and a guy the deepest swamps of Lafayette you ain’t heard nothing . It’s freaking hilarious .

Those are cool accents. One of our local government officials is originally from Boston and for the most part sounds like a regular transplant --- kind of no accent at all. But sometimes that Boston stuff comes out with something like "wicked pissah."

My cousins up around Seneca all sound like Ginger Billy on youtube. Even the women and children.

Reactions: SparkleCity
Those are cool accents. One of our local government officials is originally from Boston and for the most part sounds like a regular transplant --- kind of no accent at all. But sometimes that Boston stuff comes out with something like "wicked pissah."

My cousins up around Seneca all sound like Ginger Billy on youtube. Even the women and children.

Yeap Bostonians are much like rednecks . They can cover it up but get a few beers in them or tick them off and it comes flying out !!

I travel north all the time to work (as an engineer). I purposely pour on my southern accent when I sense I am being judged for it. I would never try to hide it. Makes me smile to see them struggle with me telling them how to improve their systems while they are thinking I am a "little slow". Its the simple things that make me happy.

Anyone ever listened to the "Gullah" album by Dick Reeves? It came out in 1963. I remember listening to it with the family gathered around the record player. I was only 11 years old but found it to be quite funny. Talk about an accent!!!
I grew up in Summerville, so I have a pretty good accent I’ve been told (when I let it come through). My first Summer home from college I work in landscaping. One of the regular guys was this huge dude that spoke Gullah, really nice guy though. It took me about three weeks to understand what he was saying. He’d just sit there telling stories, laughing and I’d just laugh along with him (had no clue what he was saying, but if he was laughing, I was laughing)

Re: hiding the accent, I worked in Pharmaceutical R&D before Dentistry. We would meet with the FDA about every other month to discuss drug applications, trials etc. I learned real quick to turn off my accent. Made a huge difference in how they interacted with me. A guy I worked with couldn’t turn it off. There were times where the FDA folks would just turn and talk with me, as if my co-worker was from another country and they weren’t sure he could understand English.

Reactions: uscedge21
My friends out here love the accent. I've been away so long it only comes out when drinking, or very happy, or upset. It's how they measure my level of intoxication. LOL

Reactions: TheReelEss
While in England, spent a week in Bath at an attached apartment to the owner's home. They were baffled by my accent. It was sorta "Texan" to them, but not. We were able to communicate without trouble.

My sister in law was accused of being Texan while in Maui. She's been asked to "talk some more!"
I've wondered if this is a legit Texas accent:

Friend of mine in college from Connecticut said girls would fall all over me if I went up north. So who cares what Douchbag guys think. I had a more hip hop/country accent.

Reactions: BobtheBuilder6289
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT