ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Was covid-19 on the world scene much earlier than known

Don't know but a new article just popped up on my computer. Its damn discouraging.
A small piece of the article

What we hope is we can take it seriously and slow the transmission in these places," said Dr. Schuchat in an interview with The Journal of the American Medical Association's Dr. Howard Bauchner. "But what I think is very discouraging is we're clearly not at a point where there's so little virus being spread that it's going to be easy to snuff out."

This is Really the Beginning
"This is really the beginning," she continued about our recent spikes in hotspots like Arizona, Texas and Florida. "I think there was a lot of wishful thinking around the country that, hey it's summer. Everything's going to be fine. We're over this and we are not even beginning to be over this. There are a lot of worrisome factors about the last week or so."

Kind of makes you wonder how it could pass through major population centers undetected and without any red flags. I’ve never seen the health community look more clueless on anything in my lifetime.

Don’t get me wrong - there are some brilliant people in that field, but the fact is they were blindsided and still can’t get a handle on just how dangerous it is.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
A friend teaches in a school where a lot of teachers and students had Covid symptoms in January. As it turns out a kindergarten child returned from China after spending the month of December there. When she returned she was sick, and her parents still sent her to school.

A friend teaches in a school where a lot of teachers and students had Covid symptoms in January. As it turns out a kindergarten child returned from China after spending the month of December there. When she returned she was sick, and her parents still sent her to school.
Gotta get that Perfect Attendance (aka I send my kid to school sick) Award.

SC reported 1741 new cases today. A new record unfortunately. Things are going from bad to worse right now.
Covid is surging all over the country. There have already been some re-closings. Looks like we are going to have a lot more re-closings Looks like the boyz in DC have really botched the covid crisis. Looks like they were hoping for the best and planning for a miracle. That is a poor strategy. They should have, first and foremost, focused exclusively on beating virus. Then they could have reopened the economy. That would have resulted in good politics.

Reactions: USCLaw85
Chinese citizens were posting videos starting in late November / early December. Their government officials would pull them offline almost as quickly as they could post.

IMO, the summer season seems like an ideal time to deal with the virus if you aren't in a high-risk group. It's obviously massively contagious and all of these preventative measures are most likely like pissing in the ocean.

Let the herd establish herd immunity and the others sit tight until a good treatment option is available. (hopefully only months away).

The virus escaped the Wuhan lab in October. The cell phone traffic around the lab flatlined then, as the area was shutdown and quarantined. Many more deaths than reported. We were aware of it, as the CDC advertised for epidemiologist in every major city in the same month, October. I personally recall reading the job listing, people were questioning things then, as to what was going on.

When is this going to be over, I'm so done with covid!

That's sarcasm of course...but I am chuckling as former-deniers get really sick. Let's see if they live. If not, I'll really laugh.

We let the genie out of the bottle, buckle up!

SC reported 1741 new cases today. A new record unfortunately. Things are going from bad to worse right now.
The new cases aren't scary to me. It's when the death rate goes up. I don't think that is happening.. Nobody in the media is talking about the impact that these protests had and now would be the time that those infections would be seen in new cases

Reactions: BigTomE
And yet state government is starting Phase 2 (non essential employees going back to work at their offices) on Monday. I'll just keep working from home.

More cases counted with increased testing, known or asymptomatic, with mortality rate slowing is good news.
Granted things seem to change daily, but latest WHO stats show high end of 10 deaths per 1000 cases, or 1% mortality. CDC just estimated 10 times the people have it compared to the known cases (ie asymptomatic).
That would take the mortality rate to 0.1%.
Basically the same as the flu.

More cases counted with increased testing, known or asymptomatic, with mortality rate slowing is good news.
Granted things seem to change daily, but latest WHO stats show high end of 10 deaths per 1000 cases, or 1% mortality. CDC just estimated 10 times the people have it compared to the known cases (ie asymptomatic).
That would take the mortality rate to 0.1%.
Basically the same as the flu.
THIS !

When is this going to be over, I'm so done with covid!

That's sarcasm of course...but I am chuckling as former-deniers get really sick. Let's see if they live. If not, I'll really laugh.

We let the genie out of the bottle, buckle up!
Quite honestly that has to be one of the worst things I have seen posted on here in a long time. I have known a couple of people to have it and one of them passed away. He was not being flipant about it at all and left behind 3 kids. Anyone dying is not a laughing matter and joking about it is not acceptable. I really think that post should be deleted. Have some respect here.

ADVERTISEMENT