ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Well folks, the end is near...

The guy is basing it on NFL injuries. Why would anyone assume that a few years in high school would cause the same injury as happens to guys playing in high school, 4 years of college and then more than 5 years in the NFL? It doesn't take a genius to know the hits in the NFL are harder than in HS.

My father would not allow me nor my brothers to play organized football. Baseball and basketball were perfectly fine, if not encouraged.
The thing is there are concussions in both those sports, and broken bones, but no one wants to mention it. Football has more concussions because it's a collision sport but nobody objects to the other sports. Look at soccer for instance I've seen players die on the field. Some of the most gruesome injuries I've ever seen was in slow pitch softball games. I learned a lot of life lessons on the football field when it comes to winning and losing. There might be an age when football is simply useless for a kid such as 8 or 9 year old but they seldom collide hard enough to get concussions. It's the parents call but kids get injured everyday on the school playground.

Reactions: Proudcock
They want kids to play tag football until around high school age, 14 and up. You have 6 and 7 year olds out here that would already have 8 years of hits and concussions before high school that are not neccassary. The flag football teaches them fundamentals and saves their bodies

My girlfriend's son has had 2 concussions from playing soccer. Most sports have a risk of injury.

Reactions: vehemon
As I told the board last year when this came up, in volleyball two years ago we had 3 players get concussions (during practice or games) and then one player who got a second concussion after she came back to play. It happens in all sports. Heck, my 19-month-old granddaughter hits her head at least once a day on something. :/

But it is a scary thing.

GOCOCKS! BEATNCSTATE!

Whatever happened to the days when we'd bury our kids alive in a box with nothing but a butter knife and tell them to be home in time for supper or else?

Reactions: SCexpat38
They want kids to play tag football until around high school age, 14 and up. You have 6 and 7 year olds out here that would already have 8 years of hits and concussions before high school that are not neccassary. The flag football teaches them fundamentals and saves their bodies
I disagree. Football is a contact sport that requires a defender to take the opponent to the ground. There are techniques that you have to learn to do that efficiently. Flag football does not teach those fundamentals, nor does it teach players proper blocking techniques. Flag football is more like 7 on 7 where the only skills employed are running, passing, and catching. Many coaches are now complaining that 7 on 7 camps are actually hurting the game as they don't put players in situations that they will encounter in real game, real contact situations.

How far do we take this argument? Why would soccer be exempt? Soccer injuries top the list for emergency room visits for young girls. Cheerleading is risky too. List could go on and on.

How far do we take this argument? Why would soccer be exempt? Soccer injuries top the list for emergency room visits for young girls. Cheerleading is risky too. List could go on and on.
Presumably because head injuries are more dangerous/life altering than other types of injuries?

this just in!!!.........tiddlywinks to replace football
Tiddlywinks_1.jpg

If the rules are applied equally - everywhere, then this could be the answer to saving contact football as a sport - together with more research into safer and better equipment.

If the rules are applied equally - everywhere, then this could be the answer to saving contact football as a sport - together with more research into safer and better equipment.
Right.

The rules have to change to save football. Otherwise, it's gone.

I officiated 6 and 7 year old leagues -- they don't hit anything with their heads. They just grab with their hands and fall down with "an injury" for the attention.

Football is a blight on society and men pretending to be women are heroic. We do live in interesting times.
Swedes used to be Vikings and now they are coward to terrorists. This football thing is just more liberalism. People should continue to have choices.

Has anybody been told they cannot play football? Does it bother you that our government tells people they cannot smoke pot?
Some people want to make it that way. And many think in a number of years that football, as we know it today, won't be around. It doesn't bother me that the government says people can't smoke pot as that is a societal law that they have chosen - some states have actually changed that law. I could debate a lot of things, but in a nutshell I am all for things that are legal, moral and ethical. If anything passes all three of those test - I am good with it.

Some people want to make it that way. And many think in a number of years that football, as we know it today, won't be around. It doesn't bother me that the government says people can't smoke pot as that is a societal law that they have chosen - some states have actually changed that law. I could debate a lot of things, but in a nutshell I am all for things that are legal, moral and ethical. If anything passes all three of those test - I am good with it.
So, an adult choosing to smoke pot is unethical and immoral, but allowing your child to ram his head into things in a way that has proven to cumulatively create traumatic brain injury is perfectly fine. I see.

The thing is there are concussions in both those sports, and broken bones, but no one wants to mention it. Football has more concussions because it's a collision sport but nobody objects to the other sports. Look at soccer for instance I've seen players die on the field. Some of the most gruesome injuries I've ever seen was in slow pitch softball games. I learned a lot of life lessons on the football field when it comes to winning and losing. There might be an age when football is simply useless for a kid such as 8 or 9 year old but they seldom collide hard enough to get concussions. It's the parents call but kids get injured everyday on the school playground.
If football should be out, then ice hockey shouldn't be far behind.

The guy is basing it on NFL injuries. Why would anyone assume that a few years in high school would cause the same injury as happens to guys playing in high school, 4 years of college and then more than 5 years in the NFL? It doesn't take a genius to know the hits in the NFL are harder than in HS.

I don't know ...I've seen some pretty nasty hits in HS football. Some of these kids anymore are full grown and shaving by the time they get out of middle school.

Watching the movie Concussion now. Pretty messed up what happened to Mike Webster. However, if given a choice to be in the NFL and make millions and have problems down the road ai bet many young players would put themselves at risk. With that being said what is the percentage of former players with brain damage? I didn't have play at USC but I did kill many brain cells.

The argument has to be about what is acceptable risk...and what is freedom of choice.

According to S.I.,12 to 13 high school kids die playing football every year. That number seems to increase most years

If football should be out, then ice hockey shouldn't be far behind.

The Association of Professionals in Dental & Oral Care have never taken a stance against ice hockey. The more hockey grows as a spectator sport the bigger their business gets. Hockey is a big win for them.

The Association of Professionals in Dental & Oral Care have never taken a stance against ice hockey. The more hockey grows as a spectator sport the bigger their business gets. Hockey is a big win for them.
Football and basketball players lose some teeth also...But those hockey players take a lot of shots on or near the head. Where are the brain police with respect to them?

Reactions: king ward
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT