ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Well folks, the end is near...

My parents wouldn't even let me go outside as a kid. I still live in the basement.

So, an adult choosing to smoke pot is unethical and immoral, but allowing your child to ram his head into things in a way that has proven to cumulatively create traumatic brain injury is perfectly fine. I see.
I didn't say that. Morals and ethical s are more of a personal belief system, although one could argue ethically that illicit drugs are wrong. In most states, however, smoking pot is illegal. Playing football, currently, is not. Yet, I have no issue if they legalize drugs.

However, ever chased the drug trade and what is does to people? I have (not just in the US). It is a significant issue in the criminal element in the U.S. and around the world. Don't make pot/weed sound so innocent, it just shows that you are trying to rationalize a wrong behavior. Now personally, I have no issue with the legalization of drugs but it is a slippery slope. I would much rather tax the crap out of the legal use and increase revenues because spending revenues chasing the criminal element around the world is not successful. Upwards of 85-90% of the drugs get through - so just legalize it. However, don't ask for taxpayer money to take care of the addictions - just live with results. Yet, I can garauntee you drug addiction is much more of a problem than CTE and always will be.

I didn't say that. Morals and ethical s are more of a personal belief system, although one could argue ethically that illicit drugs are wrong. In most states, however, smoking pot is illegal. Playing football, currently, is not. Yet, I have no issue if they legalize drugs.

However, ever chased the drug trade and what is does to people? I have (not just in the US). It is a significant issue in the criminal element in the U.S. and around the world. Don't make pot/weed sound so innocent, it just shows that you are trying to rationalize a wrong behavior. Now personally, I have no issue with the legalization of drugs but it is a slippery slope. I would much rather tax the crap out of the legal use and increase revenues because spending revenues chasing the criminal element around the world is not successful. Upwards of 85-90% of the drugs get through - so just legalize it. However, don't ask for taxpayer money to take care of the addictions - just live with results. Yet, I can garauntee you drug addiction is much more of a problem than CTE and always will be.
So, neither one should be illegal, because they are choices. Fair enough, and I agree. I think the "child abuse" comment is a bit overkill, but I see no problem with making it crystal clear what a lifetime of playing football is doing to people's brains. It's not good, and people are getting the message. Why do you think so many guys are choosing to retire early? It's not just the brain injuries either. Football's cumulative effects are extremely damaging to the body. I love football, but I also love the truth.

So, neither one should be illegal, because they are choices. Fair enough, and I agree. I think the "child abuse" comment is a bit overkill, but I see no problem with making it crystal clear what a lifetime of playing football is doing to people's brains. It's not good, and people are getting the message. Why do you think so many guys are choosing to retire early? It's not just the brain injuries either. Football's cumulative effects are extremely damaging to the body. I love football, but I also love the truth.
Agree, football it is a choice. Some can choose to retire early and some will do it longer. Same for many careers. I changed my military career for the last 10 years because the wear and tear of the job I did the first sixteen years took a toll.

I can only say, drugs are still illegal so it is not a legal choice until the law is changed. Fl, where I live, legalized medical marijuana this past year, but other uses still remain illegal. I do think there is a wave to legalize. If it does become legal, I will remain a non-user. I know the ramifications on lives.

It's amusing to me how some people talk about the danger of playing football and how it should be made safer but still spend a $100 to watch it.

It's amusing to me how some people talk about the danger of playing football and how it should be made safer but still spend a $100 to watch it.
As long as people still make the choice to put themselves at a risk to destroy their bodies, then I will continue to watch. I, as well as an increasing number of people, do understand what the game is capable of doing to a body, so I am sure that football will continue to be watered down to the point where it will either be unwatchable or just morph into a different sport all together. It's not a matter of if but when, in my opinion, and it will happen because people are educated and making informed decisions.

As long as people still make the choice to put themselves at a risk to destroy their bodies, then I will continue to watch. I, as well as an increasing number of people, do understand what the game is capable of doing to a body, so I have no illusions that football will continue to be watered down to the point where it will either be unwatchable or just morph into a different sport all together. It's not a matter of if but when, in my opinion, and it will happen because people are educated and making informed decisions.
It will never happen as long as there is big money. Money feeds this machine so it could only be watered down if the money stops and that ain't happenin' either. Football is what it is, a collision sport with bodily injury but there's more to the game than knocking each other out. The game isn't supposed to be gentle so sometimes concussions and other injuries happen but the game as it is will never change. Players are gladiators and people dig that. JMO

It will never happen as long as there is big money. Money feeds this machine so it could only be watered down if the money stops and that ain't happenin' either. Football is what it is, a collision sport with bodily injury but there's more to the game than knocking each other out. The game isn't supposed to be gentle so sometimes concussions and other injuries happen but the game as it is will never change. Players are gladiators and people dig that. JMO
It has already been watered down. The secondary can barely touch or hit receivers anymore compared to the past. The QB has been increasingly protected from a large variety of hits. They adjust kickoffs to try to force touchbacks. I think you will see a continued progression of rule changes which favor the offense and lighten the impact of the defense and try to avoid collisions. All that said, it's still the OL suffering the most cumulative brain injury, and those guys are typically some of the smartest folks on the field. If they start bailing in greater numbers it will be interesting to see how that affects the sport. Trust me, I love football, but I think we'll be talking about a very different sport in 20 years.

It has already been watered down. The secondary can barely touch or hit receivers anymore compared to the past. The QB has been increasingly protected from a large variety of hits. They adjust kickoffs to try to force touchbacks. I think you will see a continued progression of rule changes which favor the offense and lighten the impact of the defense and try to avoid collisions. All that said, it's still the OL suffering the most concussions, and those guys are typically some of the smartest folks on the field. If they start bailing in greater numbers it will be interesting to see how that affects the sport. Trust me, I love football, but I think we'll be talking about a very different sport in 20 years.
Well in 20 years I'll probably be pushing up daisies so it won't matter....lol.

Hahahaha...that's funny right there I don't care who you are.
Jim, you're always the big thinker on the board.

Wait until the lawyers zero in on football. They'll have to move towards rugby type rules (look it up. It's a sport they in other countries) to minimize head injuries. It's inevitable.

Swedes used to be Vikings and now they are coward to terrorists. This football thing is just more liberalism. People should continue to have choices.
"Coward to terrorists"?

Good Lord, it's a miracle some of you can put pants on in the morning.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT