ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Well, here ya go, The Braves won the World Series thru the "Competitive Cancer" of Tanking as per Agent Scott Boros...

He didn't blame the Braves for taking advantage. He's just discussing the system.

You're feeling good with the WS right now, but in two years you're going to watch the same thing happen with the braves.

MLB is killing themselves with this system. Kids aren't going to stay engaged with a team when their "heros" are constantly being traded to other teams.

He didn't blame the Braves for taking advantage. He's just discussing the system.

You're feeling good with the WS right now, but in two years you're going to watch the same thing happen with the braves.

MLB is killing themselves with this system. Kids aren't going to stay engaged with a team when their "heros" are constantly being traded to other teams.
Dude, come on now!! Hell, I was a BoSox fan in 2018!

Teams have been trading away prospects for short term improvements to help them win for decades. Scott Boras is just pissed because he wants teams who employ massive payrolls to win championships (of course I would then accuse them of buying championships). Bigger payrolls mean bigger salaries for players he represents. Scott Boras is an ass.

Teams have been trading away prospects for short term improvements to help them win for decades. Scott Boras is just pissed because he wants teams who employ massive payrolls to win championships (of course I would then accuse them of buying championships). Bigger payrolls mean bigger salaries for players he represents. Scott Boras is an ass.
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!

Some folks just let the obvious avoid their own comprehension.

Exactly.

As clemdent pointed out, this has been going on for decades. Oh wait, for over 100 years

That’s what did it for me. It’s the chemistry and continuity of a team that was the attraction, not the game itself. I grew up loving baseball but I bailed on MLB once all that started. Didn’t watch more than an inning or two of the World Series; just don’t care anymore.

Reactions: bashby33
He forgets that the Braves were in the NLCS last year and were up 3-1 before losing. They were a good team that was killed by injuries. Boras is an ambulance chaser agent. Yankees have one of the highest payrolls in baseball. Didn’t see them in the WS. Braves need to sign FF now, Duvall now and get some damn relief pitching worth a crap.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaimcock
That’s what did it for me. It’s the chemistry and continuity of a team that was the attraction, not the game itself. I grew up loving baseball but I bailed on MLB once all that started. Didn’t watch more than an inning or two of the World Series; just don’t care anymore.
Man the NFL teams go thru the same shit every year.

Agreed. Salary cap is needed in my opinion. I was an Indian's fan but they can't keep a star player. Every year they have a different cast of characters. I have lost interest.

Agreed. Salary cap is needed in my opinion. I was an Indian's fan but they can't keep a star player. Every year they have a different cast of characters. I have lost interest.

Same here. The Indians have the cheapest owner in MLB and consistently get rid of anyone of value. I am shocked they recently picked up the option on Jose Ramirez for next year, but bet he’s traded at the deadline too.

They basically gave the Braves- Eddie Rosario, and the Astros- Phil Maton who was arguably their best pitcher in the playoffs.

This is what Boras was talking about.

Reactions: viennacocks
Whatever the prevailing winning formula is, you have to implement it and use it well. College athletic programs are also adjusting to the era of the transfer portal. That's what competition is all about. Hey, I miss the days of the reserve clause in baseball also, but there's no bringing it back, so...

Whatever the prevailing winning formula is, you have to implement it and use it well. College athletic programs are also adjusting to the era of the transfer portal. That's what competition is all about. Hey, I miss the days of the reserve clause in baseball also, but there's no bringing it back, so...
Glad you brought up the reserve clause, King. Indeed it made for team continuity, but it also imprisoned players. Dilemma.

Glad you brought up the reserve clause, King. Indeed it made for team continuity, but it also imprisoned players. Dilemma.
It could not stand forever, but it did make for some great teams with players who became identified with the brand. I'm glad I never got to see Mantle as anything but a Yankee, Kaline as anything but a Tiger, or Koufax as anything but a Dodger.

It could not stand forever, but it did make for some great teams with players who became identified with the brand. I'm glad I never got to see Mantle as anything but a Yankee, Kaline as anything but a Tiger, or Koufax as anything but a Dodger.
Man you're talking about the old times!! While I certainly recall such (i.e., Mickey Mantle is STILL a Yankee even in his post life in Heaven!), unfortunately that was then, and this is now. No way to turn back time so to speak.

Just sayin'.
=;-p

Man you're talking about the old times!! While I certainly recall such (i.e., Mickey Mantle is STILL a Yankee even in his post life in Heaven!), unfortunately that was then, and this is now. No way to turn back time so to speak.

Just sayin'.
=;-p
Yes, sir. I think I acknowledged that.

Like the regular work force, treat your employees well, give them room to grow, and they're less likely to leave.

Man the NFL teams go thru the same shit every year.
Not at the spots most people care about. Star QBs, RBs, DBs and DEs tend to stick around for a while and when they don’t it is a big deal. Oline, LBs and DTs move around a lot but unless you are a real standout most people don’t even notice. I still remember how big of a deal it was when Tony Gonzalez joined the Falcons because it was a superstar in his prime joining another team.

In MLB those guys get individual attention 3 to 4 times a game when they come up to bat. It’s a lot more focus on them by themselves which allows everyone to be identifiable. So regardless of position it can be a big deal when they move one.

Reactions: viennacocks
He just wants more money like he ain’t got enough already. Or maybe he is mad that he represents few Braves, if any. The system won’t be fixed.

And Gibson was always a Cardinal and Berra was always a Yankee (oh, until he was a Met).

The Braves are one of only a handful of MLB teams actually trying to win baseball games right now, and the criticism should not lie with them. What's happened is that most owners have figured out that as long as they keep their team in a mediocre purgatory -- so, good enough that the on-field product isn't atrocious, but bad enough that there won't be any big paydays for stars -- the fans will keep coming and the franchise will be a money machine that requires little effort or investment on their part. I honestly don't know how you fix it.

The Braves are one of only a handful of MLB teams actually trying to win baseball games right now, and the criticism should not lie with them. What's happened is that most owners have figured out that as long as they keep their team in a mediocre purgatory -- so, good enough that the on-field product isn't atrocious, but bad enough that there won't be any big paydays for stars -- the fans will keep coming and the franchise will be a money machine that requires little effort or investment on their part. I honestly don't know how you fix it.
It's not broken. Businessmen will and should be businessmen and somebody has to win on the field. The fans of the teams that make it work are delighted. Moneyball has been proven to work, both financially and competitively. If people don't like the product, don't buy the tickets.

It's not broken. Businessmen will and should be businessmen and somebody has to win on the field. The fans of the teams that make it work are delighted. Moneyball has been proven to work, both financially and competitively. If people don't like the product, don't buy the tickets.

I guess I just don't understand the point of owning a professional sports franchise and having no desire to compete. There are plenty of other toys for the rich to play with.

I guess I just don't understand the point of owning a professional sports franchise and having no desire to compete. There are plenty of other toys for the rich to play with.
I understand your point. But remember, even in the old days, there were still chronically bad teams and people paid to own them. TV wasn't a big financial driver then, either. Admittedly, the good teams stayed good longer because their players couldn't bolt. But nothing was guaranteed. Even the Yankees tanked terribly during the era before free agency got going. There are still franchises out there looking for any angle to win, but doing it profitably.

It’s not just a toy. Very lucrative business. Look at what teams are worth today compared to just ten years ago

It’s not just a toy. Very lucrative business. Look at what teams are worth today compared to just ten years ago

Oh, I know it is. I'm just saying there are other lucrative businesses that these folks should get involved in if they don't care about trying to lead a winning team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT