ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Well, how are your little old Fireflies doing? Have they done all

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
the things for Columbia they were billed to do? Not that I care because I only care about one baseball team in Columbia and that team is the University of South Carolina Gamecocks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Horseshoe 04
I care nothing for the Fireflies, and I hope they don't schedule another "neutral site" game over there either. On a related note, every single one of those Bull Street Hospital developments fell through.

the things for Columbia they were billed to do? Not that I care because I only care about one baseball team in Columbia and that team the University of South Carolina Gamecocks.

If you don't care, why go to the trouble of starting a thread? Makes zero sense.

I just hate it that I have an affordable family friendly option in the summer. Just the worst.

I care nothing for the Fireflies, and I hope they don't schedule another "neutral site" game over there either. On a related note, every single one of those Bull Street Hospital developments fell through.
But the taxpayers are still paying for it (YAY!!!), and they have done NOTHING to improve the parking situation (i.e. actually paving the lots). It is a pain to get out of there, if you don't know how to get to a road not named Colonial (luckily I do).

But the taxpayers are still paying for it (YAY!!!), and they have done NOTHING to improve the parking situation (i.e. actually paving the lots). It is a pain to get out of there, if you don't know how to get to a road not named Colonial (luckily I do).
Someone told me last week that they are not going to games this year because of the parking situation. In spite of how bad it is, they are still charging to park.

Someone told me last week that they are not going to games this year because of the parking situation. In spite of how bad it is, they are still charging to park.
It's terrible. It just makes no sense why they haven't done something about the parking. Paving the lots would make a world of difference, IMO. And they have had ample time to do so. Honestly, for a day game, I'd park at my office and walk the 4 blocks over.

I know they bid on the Rivalry Game, too. I can't imagine that kind of crowd dealing with that parking situation. It wouldn't make a good impression at all.

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
I'll be the first to admit that the parking situation is a travesty. I'd probably go more often if they could get that squared away.
I usually just park for free at the corner of Elmwood/Bull or at the corner of Barnwell/Calhoun. It's free and the walk isn't any longer than the walk from the Firefly lots.

The Bone-In next door is open now and really nice. They have free valet

I watched from afar, but the news accounts inclined me to believe that the whole thing was done in true boondoggle fashion.
I was still in Charleston at the time, but kept up with it a great deal since it is my hometown (and my parents were talking about it a great deal, being some of the taxpayers that are on the hook for it - which I am one now too). The deal just magnified the great amount of corruption that exists in City of Columbia government.

Reactions: king ward
Yes OP, the Fireflies have accomplished "all the things for Columbia they were billed to do" in only 2.5 years! Isn't that incredible!

It looks bad around that stadium. It's like they decided to build it in the middle of where a nuclear bomb was dropped.

I think it's $4 to park. I've only been to one game and not sure if that's still the same price or not.

Friend had their bday party there recently and it's definitely a great set up for that -- everybody buy $5 berm tickets, sit together in the outfield, giant bar there to serve everyone (craft beer, liquor drinks, can run a tab, all the perks of a regular bar)

It's terrible. It just makes no sense why they haven't done something about the parking. Paving the lots would make a world of difference, IMO. And they have had ample time to do so. Honestly, for a day game, I'd park at my office and walk the 4 blocks over.

I know they bid on the Rivalry Game, too. I can't imagine that kind of crowd dealing with that parking situation. It wouldn't make a good impression at all.

The stadium is nice but the tax payer put the bill up for it. The parking lot is horrible . This past Saturday I bet they had about 300 in attendance

I watched from afar, but the news accounts inclined me to believe that the whole thing was done in true boondoggle fashion.
Yes, it is a tremendous boondoggle from the very start. But someone must be skimming some big bucks for it to make sense.

What a way to squander the real estate in the center of the city!

Yes, it is a tremendous boondoggle from the very start. But someone must be skimming some big bucks for it to make sense.

What a way to squander the real estate in the center of the city!
Hopefully USC med school will become a reality on the back section of the property. That will really help it be a good use of what is like you said great real estate in the middle of town

Hopefully USC med school will become a reality on the back section of the property. That will really help it be a good use of what is like you said great real estate in the middle of town
I hope that happens, too. This prime real estate should be put to good use in a sensible way!

Anything that involves mayor Benjamin is going to be crooked. He is a perfect fit for Columbia. I wouldn't live there is someone paid me.

Evidently it is not too prime if no one is flocking in. I think this was the politicians gambit with some probable kick backs.
The kickbacks are the only reasoning that makes sense. Columbia is a USC sports town.

Pro baseball has never really worked in Columbia. Why would anyone think this time it would be different?

That being said, I love Columbia, and I love to walk in downtown Columbia, when the temperature is below 80 degrees. Downtown has been in the upswing for 8-9 years.

I was still in Charleston at the time, but kept up with it a great deal since it is my hometown (and my parents were talking about it a great deal, being some of the taxpayers that are on the hook for it - which I am one now too). The deal just magnified the great amount of corruption that exists in City of Columbia government.

those midland folks..............whats the difference of a few dollarS 4 a ballpark when yer buildin' a nuclear plt
:)

We went on the 4th. A lot busier than I thought considering traffic has seemed much lighter during the workday. Anyway, still $4, and not aesthetically pleasing. I hate to be perfectly frank, and the parking is much better, but the Williams street lots near our beloved Carolina Stadium isn’t aesthetically pleasing either. Do you want rocks, gravel, weeds? Is that the ultimate plan 9 years in? Seriously, I don’t know

P.S. They didn’t make nearly enough seats for the Fireflies, for a crowded game anyway. Too many unused (reserved) seats for the 4th. Carolina did that wayyyy better. And not a bad seat in our place. I’ll be damned if there’s 4K actual seats in SCP

Reactions: pepsicock
If you don't care, why go to the trouble of starting a thread? Makes zero sense.

I just hate it that I have an affordable family friendly option in the summer. Just the worst.

Well, just having a little fun during this summer break. Plus, while I don't give a hoot about the Fireflies I was curious if they have done the things for the development of Columbia the promoters claimed they would do.

We went on the 4th. A lot busier than I thought considering traffic has seemed much lighter during the workday. Anyway, still $4, and not aesthetically pleasing. I hate to be perfectly frank, and the parking is much better, but the Williams street lots near our beloved Carolina Stadium isn’t aesthetically pleasing either. Do you want rocks, gravel, weeds? Is that the ultimate plan 9 years in? Seriously, I don’t know

P.S. They didn’t make nearly enough seats for the Fireflies, for a crowded game anyway. Too many unused (reserved) seats for the 4th. Carolina did that wayyyy better. And not a bad seat in our place. I’ll be damned if there’s 4K actual seats in SCP

They built way more seats than necessary. Our family went on the 5th, couldn’t have been more than 500 people there...

It’s a nice stadium on its own, but until the lots are paved and there are additional developments around, the ceiling for the entire project feels capped. I’d love to see everything come together, I enjoy nothing more during the summer than kicking back at a ballgame.

Well, just having a little fun during this summer break. Plus, while I don't give a hoot about the Fireflies I was curious if they have done the things for the development of Columbia the promoters claimed they would do.

Freddy don’t worry about it. You don’t have to apologize for your opinion. If they don’t agree with you call em a tater like I do lol

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
I really dont see an issue with the parking.
So its not all paved. Whoopee. Neither was the faurgrounds a few years ago. You bitch about $4 to park and ride a free trolly but you happily buy a 7 buck beer?
Yes it should have been built in the vista and yes Steve Benjamin is a moron and a crook but a city of our size with nothing but USC sports to dominate the entertainment dollar is ridiculous.
I go several times a month and there were 9300 there on the 4th and the traffic was in and out in thirty minutes.
Sounds like some of you people think its a competition between Carolina and MILB. They are two separate types of fan bases completely with some friendly overlap.

This is the latest update I could find. This is a big development so I rather them take it slow & get it right than run through it & get it wrong.

https://www.postandcourier.com/busi...cle_8dded9e0-4fa5-11e7-ad58-7fa6a769f596.html
After 5 years with little to show, I think we can safely say they are beyond the "taking it slow" approach. It appears they are now on the "taking it never" track.

Of course the developer says they are ahead of schedule. Must've been one hell of a schedule.

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT