ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What are some things in movies/tv that annoy you because they are unrealistic or make no sense?

jsusc

Aug 12, 2004
Like when someone answers the phone, and then not even two seconds later they have the whole story. Answer the phone, then two seconds later..."Oh, I'm sorry to hear that Rachael's mother was in Peru doing missionary work the past three months and picked up a jungle parasite and now requires a stomach transplant, but please tell her I said hello when you go to visit her in the hospital after you get the oil in your car changed."

Reactions: yemacock
I mean Really!! 99.9% of what you see on entertainment television in regards to an American Courtroom is total BS that is acted out simply to create or add drama to a story!!
If they only knew how dull and boring trials really are and how long it takes to even get to court. I think most still expect the AHA! Perry Mason type moments.

In the movie Independence Day when the President's press secretary or chief of staff brought him in to talk to David, who supposedly had knowledge of what the aliens were really up to...when the POTUS sees David he just says he doesn't have time for this, and David just gives up and says he knew the President wouldn't listen. So this guy has information about the possible destruction of humanity, but because of some old beef he isn't going to tell possibly the only man on the planet that can do something about it?

Time references in outer space movies. When a character says to another alien race that he'll be back in a minute or says it happened 5 years ago, you can't simply apply earth's orbital place in the solar system and its rotation speed reference points to another solar system and galaxy.

If they only knew how dull and boring trials really are and how long it takes to even get to court. I think most still expect the AHA! Perry Mason type moments.
EVERY trial that I personally have been involved in (i.e. divorce, business and traffic related) have ALL been so intense and overwhelmingly stressful that I now have a pacer/defib implant in regards to the consequences of my heart literally (and physically) beating so hard that I could not sleep even in mini-nap lie-downs!!!

But now in regards to any and all OTHER court cases or trials that just so happened to take place during my times at whichever courthouse in whichever city or town in whichever state (i.e. both Carolina's, Georgia, Ohio and Wet Vagina - LOLOLOL - West Virginia!!! =;-p), then folks, we're talking boredom and sheer non-interest on mine and all others part that simply WERE NOT directly associated with such!!!

At any rate, I just chose to share my opinion of what we were commenting on; hope all is well with all of y'all!!!

Peace 'n out!!!

Reactions: rogue cock
EVERY trial that I personally have been involved in (i.e. divorce, business and traffic related) have ALL been so intense and overwhelmingly stressful that I now have a pacer/defib implant in regards to the consequences of my heart literally (and physically) beating so hard that I could not sleep even in mini-nap lie-downs!!!

But now in regards to any and all OTHER court cases or trials that just so happened to take place during my times at whichever courthouse in whichever city or town in whichever state (i.e. both Carolina's, Georgia, Ohio and Wet Vagina - LOLOLOL - West Virginia!!! =;-p), then folks, we're talking boredom and sheer non-interest on mine and all others part that simply WERE NOT directly associated with such!!!

At any rate, I just chose to share my opinion of what we were commenting on; hope all is well with all of y'all!!! Funny that you mentioned Ohio....the firm I worked for there loved sending me to court because of my accent. Their rationale was that the jury didn't believe a southener was more believeable. Mostly did business and tax litigation and probate litigation (which I hate).

Peace 'n out!!!
Oh, I am one that throws up before almost any trial. I am a complete nervous wreck. I was commenting about the average observer.

In Ohio, the firm I worked for loved sending me to court because of my accent. The rationale was that a southerner was more believable (huh?). Did mainly tax litigation, some business/transactional and probate litigation. Hated probate litigation.

Reactions: Gaimcock
The majority of poker movies drive me nuts. First, the lack of adherence to rules…First player bets $500. Second player, “I’ll call that $500…and raise you $1000.” Ummm, no you won’t. You clearly stated “call”…can’t decide to add to the bet.
Second, the ridiculous hands that are involved in the big pots. In movies, it’s always full house vs straight flush, quads vs quads, etc. In reality, it’s usually an overpair vs trips, or each have a pair and one player out kicks the other.

Reactions: usc1855
Like when someone answers the phone, and then not even two seconds later they have the whole story. Answer the phone, then two seconds later..."Oh, I'm sorry to hear that Rachael's mother was in Peru doing missionary work the past three months and picked up a jungle parasite and now requires a stomach transplant, but please tell her I said hello when you go to visit her in the hospital after you get the oil in your car changed."
When someone is shot by a gun equipped with a silencer, they always die quietly too. When no silencer, the shot person goes flying and crashing into things.

When a drug cop makes a bust and "tastes" the purity of the cocaine or heroin.

When a person shooting a firearm never has to reload or just points the gun in the direction of the person and hits them every time with no aiming, breath or trigger control.

Are we really going to argue about the unrealistic actions of TV and movie?

Okay cool. 😆

Reactions: hillstosea
Any of the “CSI” dramas when they start doing lab analysis. You don’t just magically place a soil, clothes sample etc in a GC/MS and get a detailed analysis (ie the soil came from the river down by the old fertilizer plant because there’s increased nitrogen in it)
The CSI technicians do not carry guns. They do not "interview/interrogate witnesses". Nor, are they detectives. They collect physical evidence from crime scenes or they work in the lab. They do not do both.

I spoke to an EKU Criminology professor when I was in his daughter's wedding. He said that as an academic advisor he was always having to remind to students to take Biology and Chemistry classes if they wanted to be a CSI like on TV.

I told him that if he wanted to be truthful he would tell them that there are no CSI's "like on TV".

He didn't like that at all. He didn't deny it. He just didn't like it.

The CSI technicians do not carry guns. They do not "interview/interrogate witnesses". Nor, are they detectives. They collect physical evidence from crime scenes or they work in the lab. They do not do both.

I spoke to an EKU Criminology professor when I was in his daughter's wedding. He said that as an academic advisor he was always having to remind to students to take Biology and Chemistry classes if they wanted to be a CSI like on TV.

I told him that if he wanted to be truthful he would tell them that there are no CSI's "like on TV".

I wondered about that. The one CSI I knew was a civilian employee of the Police Department and you are right, he didn't have a gun, but he did have a badge with his position imprinted on it. I didn't know whether that was true of all jurisdictions though.

The second season of Jack Ryan (Amazon Prime) is less realistic than Transformers with sentient alien robots.

Any of the “CSI” dramas when they start doing lab analysis. You don’t just magically place a soil, clothes sample etc in a GC/MS and get a detailed analysis (ie the soil came from the river down by the old fertilizer plant because there’s increased nitrogen in it)
Greetings, fellow dork. If you were looking at something truly unique or had already run a bunch of samples from suspect locations, maybe. But yeah, sometimes on these dramas the sample would barely have time to be injected much less chromatographed or conclusively analyzed.

Reactions: ClemDent

Indeed. Those lab results always come back within a few hours in the movies, too. Always in time to help you catch the bad guy.

This probably happens more in tv than in movies, but when a person holds a bigoted view of someone or something, or is wrong about the facts of something. By the end of the show they have learned their lesson and now see things differently.

That has happened maybe 12 times in the history of the planet. I'm about to go to another thread and make a good point about something, but it will likely change no one's mind.

Reactions: evantually

Now why drag ‘Apocalypse Now‘ into this?

Rocky getting his ass beat like a drum for 10 or 11 rounds, then miraculously winning in the 12th. He'd be in a damn coma or dead in real life, taking a beating like that.

Dreams. There you are going down the road with the protagonist only to see him/her wake up. It was all a dream. Sorry story telling and pisses me off.

Why do all cop shows have the same team solving the crime? The smart geek, the tatted BDSM crime lab lesbian, the old master profiler, the hansom leader. Always the same formula…

So I enjoyed Avatar and applauded the cinematography which was great. Despite years in the making, no one paid any attention to the plot. One of the first things said in the movie was that humanity needed the new element called "Unobtanium" and our existence was threatened without a new supply, which was available only on the Avatar planet. We send some mercenaries in, who for some odd reason fight at one point with giant Bowie knives. Predictably, the mean mercenaries get their buttes kicked by the local indigenous folk the movie goes to great lengths to make us identify with. So we see the mercs and humanity leaving the planet to the natives. Hello, what about our existence being threatened without the new element? They needed 4 more minutes of the movie where the military says "let's lay a grid pattern of small nukes and make everything in this 50 mile radius a sea of glass. We can then drill through the glass with robotics and get our Unobtainium.".

In the movie Independence Day when the President's press secretary or chief of staff brought him in to talk to David, who supposedly had knowledge of what the aliens were really up to...when the POTUS sees David he just says he doesn't have time for this, and David just gives up and says he knew the President wouldn't listen. So this guy has information about the possible destruction of humanity, but because of some old beef he isn't going to tell possibly the only man on the planet that can do something about it?
Independence Day is one of the stupidest movies ever for many, many reasons.

Hot women with goofy ugly guys. It happens some in real life, but any women with Alan Harper, George Costanza or any of the Big Bang guys is not realistic.

Taking God's Name in vain. This should never be done.

Taking God's Name in vain. This should never be done.

Yeah, I mentioned I didn't like certain dream sequences earlier but I think taking God's name in vain is indeed my number one peeve. All those other cuss words to choose from but agnostic or atheist Hollywood chooses to do this time after time. Hate it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT