ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What are some things in movies/tv that annoy you because they are unrealistic or make no sense?

I can't really say I have a pet peeve about this. After all, it is all about escapism, entertainment and suspending reality for a brief period of time.

With that said, going down to the basement despite the lights not working, no one does that. no one.

Reactions: TheReelEss
I know this is not supposed to be a political thread. So I won't mention which party is which. But almost every movie that involves politics casts one party as saints and the other party as greedy evil white males. There's not very much difference between the parties. Most in both parties are greedy and evil.

When I see someone fishing with a spinning reel upside down.

Shooting a gun with it turned sideways or "throwing" the bullets at someone. Or when you see someone rob a liquor store with a Desert Eagle .50 cal. That gun costs a fortune and could shoot through brick walls. Or standing in a hail of gunfire without a scratch. The A Team fired a million bullets fully automatic and never hit a single target.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zann77
If they only knew how dull and boring trials really are and how long it takes to even get to court. I think most still expect the AHA! Perry Mason type moments.
Yes. In the movies the person goes on trial a week after the crime. In real life they go on trial so long after the crime most people have forgotten about it. And the solicitor/DA does their level best to lower the charges to get a plea out of the defendant.

Reactions: rogue cock
When someone is shot by a gun equipped with a silencer, they always die quietly too. When no silencer, the shot person goes flying and crashing into things.
When a person is shot in the head in a car, there is blood spatter on the window. Where did the bullet go?

Reactions: SLODAWG
When a movie leaves without an ending or a very stupid ending that makes no sense.

Man, I hate that. I hated inception for that reason. People were like "ooooh, did it keep spinning or did it fall over...we'll never know!" And then spend an hour talking about the possibilities. Meanwhile me: "That's so dumb. Just tell me how it ended." I'm not paying $15 for you to let me make up my own mind how the story ended.

Reactions: Zann77
Oh, I am one that throws up before almost any trial. I am a complete nervous wreck. I was commenting about the average observer.

In Ohio, the firm I worked for loved sending me to court because of my accent. The rationale was that a southerner was more believable (huh?). Did mainly tax litigation, some business/transactional and probate litigation. Hated probate litigation.

I'd believe a Southern accent over a northern one any time and twice on Saturday.

I've covered a bunch of trials over the years -- no particular expertise so I approach it like it's a football game, you got two sides, there are rules and both sides are trying to win. And if you need to figure something out, ask the judge when you get a break.

That said, I got butterflies too, for some reason. There's pressure to be accurate, you owe it to everyone.

I covered one murder trial where a prosecutor who thought he was Matlock got mad at me for something and had his wife come sit by me every day of this one trial, and she kept whispering at me, "just remember when you're doing your story I love that man."

One thing though -- most of the trials I've covered wrap up in a couple days, even a couple of mass slayings and some civil suit deals. I've yet to run across one of those marathon OJ trial type situations.

Reactions: rogue cock
50 zillion stormtroopers shooting at Luke, Han , Leia and Chewbacca and nobody gets hit ?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT