ADVERTISEMENT

OT , what do other drivers do that drives you crazy ?*

No body in MB area uses turn signals. Lady told me "no body down here uses turn signals", I told her 90 % of the populace are northerners.

Same thing in Savannah area. Nobody uses turn signals and its swamped with yankees, and I swear they all wait til I have to go somewhere to decide they need to get there first.

Traffic is one of the most excruciatingly annoying things out there, yet people continue to move further into the suburbs and say build more roads and parking lots!

People that stay in the far left lane until the moment that they need to exit the interstate, and then cut across 4 lanes of traffic causing everyone that is in their correct lane to damn near cause a 20 car pile-up trying to avoid the jerk who couldn't plan ahead. Especially at 8 am. On 26. At Malfunction Junction.

I hate the hoity toity posts on FB by people complaining about the people who complain about the people who ride in a merge lane until the last nanometer before merging into traffic. The FB post is usually accompanied by a link to some article about a mathematical model showing how the zipper method (which involves riding into the merge lane to the very end) is statistically the most efficient method of merging.

I live in DC and DC traffic craps on the zipper method. Mathematical models look nice on computer animations but don't take into account a-holes. Probably 1 out of 20 drivers would bother merging as instructed by the zipper method. Most commonly what you have is 5 cars all riding to the very end, (often beyond the end of the merge lane and always bumper to bumper) and all five trying to merge into one spot.

I'm an early merger, but I have no problem at all with taking turns at the end. What I don't tolerate is 3 or 4 cars trying to merge in front of me at the last second.

Reactions: JohnShadows
18 wheelers that are in the left lane of the interstate during rush hour traffic. It happens daily around here. If stop and go on the interstate isn't agonizing enough, now we have this asshat that takes 1/4 mile to get up to 30mph.

They tore up all of the right lanes with their heavy vehicles/loads, so now they hog the left lanes to cut down on tire wear.

Couple of things:
The drivers who run at night with their fog lights on even though there is no fog, usually on high profile pickups/suvs. Blinds the crap out of you. I wonder if most know that they are even on.
As far as the guy/gal that wants to ride right on your bumper when you have slow traffic in front of you, I use my windshield washers instead of a brake check. Its a little safer, and they get the message as they have to turn their wipers on too as they are so close my washer fluid catches their windshield.

They get into their car in a parking lot and you are waiting for them to pull out so you can be next in that spot. But they just sit there for 2 or 3 minutes before they back out. WTF are they DOING.

Traffic is one of the most excruciatingly annoying things out there, yet people continue to move further into the suburbs and say build more roads and parking lots!

Yep.

Decade or so ago the state highway here I take to get to 95 was two lanes into the neighboring county. Then it got congested so they four-laned it to speed up traffic. Then developers built all over it (malls, giant mixed use developments with 500 homes on 100 acres beside a strip mall, etc) and it got dangerous because of all the people pulling out in front of people at intersections that didn't even exit 10 years ago, so they put up lights to slow traffic back down.

In 20 years, my commute distance has shortened by half due to changes in where I work but the time it takes to get there has remained about the same because of the increase in traffic, stoplights, people who want to go 55 mph in the left hand lane, etc. And I don't work 9 to 5, so I can generally skip rush hour. If I had to be in the office in the morning it would take me 30 minutes to go five miles.

Sorry, but one thing I hate about traffic is the sheer amount of it anymore.

Yep.

Decade or so ago the state highway here I take to get to 95 was two lanes into the neighboring county. Then it got congested so they four-laned it to speed up traffic. Then developers built all over it (malls, giant mixed use developments with 500 homes on 100 acres beside a strip mall, etc) and it got dangerous because of all the people pulling out in front of people at intersections that didn't even exit 10 years ago, so they put up lights to slow traffic back down.

In 20 years, my commute distance has shortened by half due to changes in where I work but the time it takes to get there has remained about the same because of the increase in traffic, stoplights, people who want to go 55 mph in the left hand lane, etc. And I don't work 9 to 5, so I can generally skip rush hour. If I had to be in the office in the morning it would take me 30 minutes to go five miles.

Sorry, but one thing I hate about traffic is the sheer amount of it anymore.
Great book on the subject:

51rHok8NQTL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The Geography of Nowhere traces America's evolution from a nation of Main Streets and coherent communities to a land where every place is like no place in particular, where the cities are dead zones and the countryside is a wasteland of cartoon architecture and parking lots.
In elegant and often hilarious prose, Kunstler depicts our nation's evolution from the Pilgrim settlements to the modern auto suburb in all its ghastliness. The Geography of Nowhere tallies up the huge economic, social, and spiritual costs that America is paying for its car-crazed lifestyle. It is also a wake-up call for citizens to reinvent the places where we live and work, to build communities that are once again worthy of our affection. Kunstler proposes that by reviving civic art and civic life, we will rediscover public virtue and a new vision of the common good. "The future will require us to build better places," Kunstler says, "or the future will belong to other people in other societies."

Not something that other drivers do, but I absolutely ABHOR the LED headlights. I prefer NOT to be blinded when driving at night. K...thanks.
Great book on the subject:

51rHok8NQTL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The Geography of Nowhere traces America's evolution from a nation of Main Streets and coherent communities to a land where every place is like no place in particular, where the cities are dead zones and the countryside is a wasteland of cartoon architecture and parking lots.
In elegant and often hilarious prose, Kunstler depicts our nation's evolution from the Pilgrim settlements to the modern auto suburb in all its ghastliness. The Geography of Nowhere tallies up the huge economic, social, and spiritual costs that America is paying for its car-crazed lifestyle. It is also a wake-up call for citizens to reinvent the places where we live and work, to build communities that are once again worthy of our affection. Kunstler proposes that by reviving civic art and civic life, we will rediscover public virtue and a new vision of the common good. "The future will require us to build better places," Kunstler says, "or the future will belong to other people in other societies."

I'm going to have to read this. Thanks

18 wheelers that are in the left lane of the interstate during rush hour traffic. It happens daily around here. If stop and go on the interstate isn't agonizing enough, now we have this asshat that takes 1/4 mile to get up to 30mph.
Closely related to that are the 18 wheeler drivers who pull out to pass another 18 wheeler going almost as fast as they are . . . on a long up-hill grade. Essentially, it's a rolling road-block for the next several miles, and sometimes they finally end up pulling back in behind the truck they were trying to pass. Perhaps in your first week behind the wheel of a big rig, you might misjudge your ability to accelerate past another vehicle on an uphill grade. But assuming you've been driving this truck for years, what makes you think you can execute that pass going uphill? Just suck it up and wait until the road flattens out again.

I am speaking from personal experience (45ish years of driving and 30+ trips to various parts of Europe for business and vacation). You're referencing a YouTube video and the idiot drivers shown could very well be tourists including many from the U.S.
I've been to nearly every European country and the drive like maniacs, you nearly have to close and in town, the roads are so dang narrow. The thing about Europe, they concentrate on everything out in front. American drivers are taught to check rear view and side mirrors every few seconds ect. The testing is more extensive for sure. If I remember correctly, the international written test I took in Germany was 200 questions. 100 road signs which you were allowed to miss 2 and 100 road questions which you were allowed to miss 3. you also have to be 18. The one thing I did notice, is there are many multi car pile ups, as in 15 cars or more and often 30 cars and more, it is very congested, we seldom have that here.

Driving in the fast lane and running the same speed as the slow lane. That’s when I want a Sherman Tank so I can just swipe their ass right off of the road
That burns my ass up too and how the hell do some of them even pass the driving test? I can drive better on my drunkest day than some of these dumbasses can stone cold sober.

Pisses me when there's heavy traffic on the interstate, to the point that the outside lane is either stopped, or moving at 5 mph, and I'm gonna take the next exit in 1000-2000 ft, so can't move to a faster lane. Then some dumb taterhead decides he can't be bothered to wait like the rest of us, and he's gonna jump into the emergency lane and go ahead and pass everyone and take the exit. He can wait like everybody else. When I see it, I slide over into the emergency lane half way to block.

....heres another.

My commute every day takes me from the I-26 to Lake Murray going towards broad river exit. That exit has 2 separate ramps. Before the bridge, exit if you want to go off to the right, after the bridge if you want to loop under headed to the left.

Dumb dumbs will exit in front of me, as if they are going to head to the right towards the hospital, and then hit their brakes and come to a stop and try to turn back across 3 lanes of traffic to go left across the bridge!! It just flies over me, and when possible I fly past them on the right edge and lay on my horn with all might might and will. I tried once calling the police about this, to which Irmo police directed me to Lexington dispatch who told me that area was outside town of irmo, so it was a state trooper jurisdiction, of which noone ever called me back. Its amazing that I have not witnessed someone getting readended there because that lane flowing off the exit ramp flows around to the right and you merge. There shold BE NO stopping there.

The other one that sets me off, and I'm glad I don't deal with it now.
My commute USED TO take me down I-77 from bluff, to merge to 26 west.

For some reason that road was built so that 2 lanes, have to merge to 1 lane as you come around to 26. (STUPID DESIGN)

Well, traffic gets heavy, and backs up onto i-77 trying to merge. Usually this backup is mostly to the leftside of the two lanes trying to merge. Well, dumb dumbs see the far right lane looks more open, so they comeflying through there, and end up cutting off the crawling leftmost lane since the right side guys are at speed they can hop in wherever. It just continues to make that left lane mass merge even slower because they have to keep stopping for the dummies flying up on the right. Some dont realize its a single merge lane, but some hop OUT of the left lane, to the right lane to zoom around everyone.

I used to position my car right down the white line of both lanes and block it (because if I slide to far to the right lane, the dummy behind me doesnt know what I'm doing and comes up to cut me off)
By being half way over, most dummies would slow down, but if one wasn't paying attention to me being there, they had room to get around.

Yea I had a couple idiots go all the way into the emergency lane and flew by at 50 MPH.

I'd sometimes just swerve back and forth blocking both lanes like the nascar pace car.

If everyone would just get in the line, the merge could flow continuously for everyone!! I'm glad I don't do that commute anymore, becasue I know my decision was dangerous, but the idiocy was just too much to ignore.

On the bypass in Lancaster I have to turn right on an exit to get home, a lot of time cars merging onto the bypass will not slow down so I can get off the bypass and out of the way of on-coming traffic so I have to come to a dead stop and wait for the (&^$%(drivers. It's dangerous because I could be rear ended.

There are things all drivers do that tick us off from time to time. But I would just ask everyone to exercise patience and don't let some minor incident create a road rage situation.

That is called Lane splitting and the Communist Republic of California says it is legal and will ticket YOU if you impede their progresses. I think it is an insane death wish. The first time you experience it, it scares the crap out of you
try going to Brazil......now that is a death wish. i was told 10 people a day die doing that in Brazil alone.

Closely related to that are the 18 wheeler drivers who pull out to pass another 18 wheeler going almost as fast as they are . . . on a long up-hill grade. Essentially, it's a rolling road-block for the next several miles, and sometimes they finally end up pulling back in behind the truck they were trying to pass. Perhaps in your first week behind the wheel of a big rig, you might misjudge your ability to accelerate past another vehicle on an uphill grade. But assuming you've been driving this truck for years, what makes you think you can execute that pass going uphill? Just suck it up and wait until the road flattens out again.
I was in one for 20 miles in Birmingham one year coming back from Oklahoma. It almost caused numerous accidents including a corvette that I almost ate in my dads F350. Pretty sure if not for my moment of niceness the 350 would've won. I think I couldve killed one those 18 wheeler drivers that day. If the one in the right lane had of just lifted for a second...but no...

I dont understand why some people stop 2 or 3 car lengths behind somebody at a stop sign or red light. It happened to me today. Dang traffic is backed up enough on 29 in Taylors at 5:30.

What I've noticed is that these people are looking at their cellphones as the approach a stop so they give themselves a cushion so they don't bump the car in front of them. It is an unintended consequence of the crazy law passed a few years ago that make it illegal to text and drive but allow you to look at your phone when stopped at an intersection.

we have grown people that live in this state that don't understand how the 4 way stop sign is supposed to work, and once one person gets out of order others break it worse.

Idiots that come to a stop at a round-about but its all clear and noone is coming. I almost hit them because we can all see its clear, flow and go, and suddenly they stop!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT