ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What is the strangest or most exotic food you've ever eaten?

duckcock2

Jun 7, 2020
This topic may have been posted before, but I couldn't find it if it has.

What is the strangest...oddest...or most exotic food you've ever eaten?

For me, it was kitfo. It is a national Ethiopian dish of raw or almost raw beef, mixed with spices. It is usually eaten with a type of bread called injera and I also had pieces of cheese. It was really good. Much better than it sounds.

Reactions: Tyrannosaurus cox
Argentinian beef tenderloin. Once you’ve had it, no other beef compares.

I've been to Clark's Fish Camp in Jacksonville.

Had a little python and boiled gator eggs stuffed with crab meat. I had requested fried rattlesnake but they were all out and suggested the python. The meal totally sucked.

Reactions: TheReelEss
Does McDonalds count?

I’ve tried gator, I think, but that’s about it.

Oh, my daughter raved about ‘cow tongue tacos’ a Hispanic friend of hers would bring to school. She insisted that we try it. We bought a cow tongue from the grocery store and cooked it. If you could get past the thought of it, it wasn’t bad. Taste and texture was similar to beef roast.

For me, it was kitfo. It is a national Ethiopian dish of raw or almost raw beef, mixed with spices. It is usually eaten with a type of bread called injera and I also had pieces of cheese. It was really good. Much better than it sounds.

My sister-in-law's Meatloaf

Hakarl in Iceland. You bury a Greenland shark on the beach for several weeks, then dig it up, cut it into strips and dry it out. Then it is cut into cubes and served on toothpicks. It tastes like ammonia jello, but if you follow it with a shot of brennivin.

Hakarl in Iceland. You bury a Greenland shark on the beach for several weeks, then dig it up, cut it into strips and dry it out. Then it is cut into cubes and served on toothpicks. It tastes like ammonia jello, but if you follow it with a shot of brennivin.
That's urea. I was told by a fishing guide that it can be removed by soaking in salt water, vinegar, lime juice or milk. But then it would not be prepared the way you decribe.

Last edited:
Reactions: mavcock
Probably sweet breads or blood sausage. I’m glad I didn’t know what either was before I ate them as I really like both.

I had a margarita that was rimmed with black ants and salt. They were dried and ground up. It really just tasted like Nacho Cheese Doritos seasoning.

I'm not sure these qualify as exotic. Gator, whitetail deer, moose, elk, wild hog, squirrel, rabbit, rattlesnake, goat, lamb, many species of fresh and saltwater fish, pickled herring at breakfast (tastes like catfish in cocktail sauce), Bison (Burgers and Barley in Rock Hill), crawfish. I'm adventurous, but not like some of the things I see online.

Reactions: heavycock
Jelly Fish is right up there for me- had it at a Dim Sum place in Charlotte- like salty chewy noodles.

Brown dog, I couldn't force myself to try monkey brain or anything. Growing up, I had family in Central Florida. Gator tail and snake bites were quite a common treat. Tastes kinda like chicken, with a twist.

Off the top of my head, that would qualify as weird or exotic?

- Rocky Mountain Oysters
- Alligator
- Foie Gras
- Escargot
- Probably something that I didn't even know what it was at a sushi restaurant, because I'll eat pretty much anything in a sushi joint
- Probably something unknown at a dim sum place in Toronto's Chinatown.

Mass consumption of Budweiser and a dare lead to eating a raw squid found in a tub of iced shrimp at a local dive bar.

Reactions: heavycock
Lamb Fries - somewhere cold with a crazy mail man
Octopus - real, not fried squid you can get at any hokie restaurant
Moose - Alaska
Gator Tail - delicious

Reactions: TheReelEss
Lamb Fries - somewhere cold with a crazy mail man
Octopus - real, not fried squid you can get at any hokie restaurant
Moose - Alaska
Gator Tail - delicious
The moose I ate was in the form of sausage, I guess to cover a very strong taste. I had heartburn and burped that $#!* for 3 days.

Turtle prepared by the mosquite Indians along the coco River in Nicaragua. At least thats what I think it was, I could only understand that it lives in the water and out of the water......

It was a proverbial feast n sims dorm

Reactions: Bad seed
I'd add to my list things that other people have mentioned plus other things that might be considered weird or exotic:

- Tripe (frequently, in pho)
- Octopus (frequently; I like to grill whole octopi over a charcoal fire)
- Bison
- Buffalo
- Caviar and masago (fish eggs), both frequently in sushi or poke
- Pickled pigs feet
- Crispy pig ears
- Fatback
- A crazy Thai girl

Off the top of my head, that would qualify as weird or exotic?

- Rocky Mountain Oysters
- Alligator
- Foie Gras
- Escargot
- Probably something that I didn't even know what it was at a sushi restaurant, because I'll eat pretty much anything in a sushi joint
- Probably something unknown at a dim sum place in Toronto's Chinatown.

A raw oyster on a dare. Disgusting. I was tricked into eating chocolate covered cricket thinking it was an almond.

Sorry but that’s the best I got, lol.

Last edited:
A raw oyster. Disgusting. And that was when I was a child doing it on a dare.

Sushi- Actual raw sushi by itself grossed me out. But I did eat a small bite so it qualifies. I can’t remember what fish it was. Maybe tuna.

Sorry but that’s the best I got, lol.

Unless I am about to starve- I am not eating cow tongues, creepy live octopuses, possums and snakes like some of your braver diners ate. Ew
Raw oysters are my favorite dish but I don't eat them in South Carolina as they have a muddy taste to me. I ate my first ones in Paris in 1962 at 3 in the morning at Au Pied du Cochon. They had a spread of them on ice on the sidewalk in front. Washed down with a nice white wine...I can't remember if it was Bordeaux or Burgundy or Loire, etc. but it was close on to heaven for this native of the South Carolina upcountry who was not at all familiar with much of any kind of seafood.

The oysters in Northern Europe are all cultivated in cold water...North Sea...and not at all like our mushy, gooey things.

I sure miss the Monday night raw oysters on the half shell at Rockaways. When my daughter was at Carolina she took a night course at Fort Jackson and we'd polish off a few dozen before I took her to class. Her limit on a pitcher of Rolling Rock was 1 1/2 glasses and being the good father I'd finish the rest.

I sure miss the Monday night raw oysters on the half shell at Rock-aways. When my daughter was at Carolina she took a USC night course at Fort Jackson and we'd polish off a few dozen before I took her to class. Her limit on the pitcher of Rolling Rock was 1 1/2 glasses and being the good father I'd finish the rest.
Raw oysters are my favorite dish but I don't eat them in South Carolina as they have a muddy taste to me. I ate my first ones in Paris in 1962 at 3 in the morning at Au Pied du Cochon. They had a spread of them on ice on the sidewalk in front. Washed down with a nice white wine...I can't remember if it was Bordeaux or Burgundy or Loire, etc. but it was close on to heaven for this native of the South Carolina upcountry who was not at all familiar with much of any kind of seafood.

The oysters in Northern Europe are all cultivated in cold water...North Sea...and not at all like our mushy, gooey things.

The oysters at Acme in New Orleans are the best I've had.

https://acmeoyster.com

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT