ADVERTISEMENT

OT What nit picking do you have?

………

Also, when people say the got something for free. You don't get anything FOR free, you just get it FREE. You can't give someone free. It is not a currency.

Along those lines; The omission of “to be”. I peruse FB marketplace and CL a lot, just looking at stuff, seeing what’s out there . I consistently see that something “needs fixed” or “needs painted”, or “needs charged”; “needs TO BE fixed”. “Needs TO BE painted”. That just makes me cringe. The omission could, I suppose, be proper grammar, but it just doesn’t sound right to me. <shudder >

When someone doesn't give a thank you wave or gesture when you do something nice for them in a car, like let them merge when you don't have to.

Also, when people say the got something for free. You don't get anything FOR free, you just get it FREE. You can't give someone free. It is not a currency.
Id rather you keep both hands on the wheel and pay it forward.

Journalists using the had or have along with a past tense verb

They have made it or he has used up. Do they teach them English grammar?

Reactions: Judson1
When someone doesn't give a thank you wave or gesture when you do something nice for them in a car, like let them merge when you don't have to.

I think that waving is a male thing that women should learn. Either men are not teaching their daughters or women who teach their daughters don’t know about it. It really helps smooth a mistake.

I think that waving is a male thing that women should learn. Either men are not teaching their daughters or women who teach their daughters don’t know about it. It really helps smooth a mistake.
"helps smooth a mistake." Women don't make mistakes. It's your fault, not hers. Don't ever forget that!

I don’t know…I wave or nod at everyone, all the time. Walking in a park. Walking in my neighborhood. One day in a city park, but not our usual area, my wife said I have got to stop. I asked why…flabbergasted. And she said, if she were in a park by herself, she would never make eye contact or wave generically because as a female, she doesn’t want to portray vulnerability to strangers. Look tough and in charge.

Maybe women learn early on that they might be targets, even if it’s very unlikely. So they keep their guard up. And it just carries over to other random things like driving.

I don’t know…I wave or nod at everyone, all the time. Walking in a park. Walking in my neighborhood. One day in a city park, but not our usual area, my wife said I have got to stop. I asked why…flabbergasted. And she said, if she were in a park by herself, she would never make eye contact or wave generically because as a female, she doesn’t want to portray vulnerability to strangers. Look tough and in charge.

Maybe women learn early on that they might be targets, even if it’s very unlikely. So they keep their guard up. And it just carries over to other random things like driving.
Teach them that men expect a nod, etc. Men and women are not the same. I do understand her point.

People wrongly over using the word "literally". Teens these days use it all the time to emphasize what they are saying.
Another one the kids use is right? And they say it either after you make a statement or even funnier after they make a statement, it doesn’t bother me it’s just different and sounds a little out of place!

I think the exact opposite. Not making eye contact projects weakness and uncertainty. Making eye contact projects confidence and awareness of one's surroundings.

I think the exact opposite. Not making eye contact projects weakness and uncertainty. Making eye contact projects confidence and awareness of one's surroundings.
True but was referring to a gesture as an apology to doing something wrong, as in, cutting someone off and putting up a wave to say you are sorry and you realize that you were in the wrong. It calms down the situation if you acknowledge your stupid move.

Reactions: uscg1984

”let them merge when you don’t have to” ? That sounds like you own the space in front of your car and only you can give permission for others to use it. It sure makes it easier when your outlook is one of “ We are all in this together and please merge in front of me when you need to.” I learned a long time ago that being helpful is the way we should all drive. Nobody owes me anything for being a helpful driver. I drove about 50,000 miles annually for close to 40 years. I did not learn that lesson until I had gone about ten years.

Right? Or when they slow walk across the road while you let them pass and no acknowledgement.

Reactions: importcock
When people approach a green light and turn right. Only to immediately turn left into the gas station. When they could have went through the light and just turned in
And of course their left turn is halted by the traffic waiting at their red light.

Reactions: DrMickey
When people use words that they just heard on TV, usually sports commentary. Words like gauntlet... try to be original.

SO.

People that can't begin a sentence or answer a question without beginning with SO.
Beginning a sentence with "So" is such a big thing these days. Even among TV Reporters, etc. A question: What is your occupation? So, I work in management for the XYZ Co.

When somebody ask me "How is your day going?" then proceed to tell me about their problems without even giving me a chance to respond to their question.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT