ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What size TV you got?

GarnetBeamer

Dec 7, 2020
Have a 50" in our upstairs family room. Didn't want something obscenely large in our main living space that would look gaudy when we have company over.

In our media room downstairs, I have a 70". It's a holdover from our previous house where that was the appropriate size for the space it was in. I'd like to upgrade to larger, but for as often as we use it and with other things to do, it's just not a high priority at the moment. As our kids get older and we're able to family movie nights and such, I'll probably upgrade.

Would like to go the projector route but not terribly interested in a bunch of wiring and all that. I'm never on the leading edge of technology b/c the price drops so fast, I just wait a bit until the new stuff is out and then buy something a generation or so older. Felt sorry for those folks who rushed out and bought the big flat-screen HDTVs that were rendered totally obsolete when flat panels came out a couple years or so later.

I still remember looking at a 24" tv and thinking "wowwww..."

65" in the living room, 55" in the bedroom, and 40" on the porch. I buy the cheapest ones available that are smart tv/4k. The 65" cost me $400 at Walmart a year or two ago. Never understand the people that still plow big money into a television, they have to have the latest and greatest. Same thing with cellphones. My Iphone 6 still works like a charm.

65" in the living room, 55" in the bedroom, and 40" on the porch. I buy the cheapest ones available that are smart tv/4k. The 65" cost me $400 at Walmart a year or two ago. Never understand the people that still plow big money into a television, they have to have the latest and greatest. Same thing with cellphones. My Iphone 6 still works like a charm.
Samsung 75 inch 4k. Looks awesome. Walmart had it on clearance (in the box) 2 years ago for 480 bucks.

Yeah, that's the thing, you can get a darn nice TV these days for a few hundred bucks.

I don't care if it has quantum OLED flex blah blah blah.

I do like the idea of an outdoor TV...mainly the idea of watching college football on a nice fall day while sitting on the deck. Maybe someday.

Wifey won't allow a TV in the bedroom :(

Yeah, that's the thing, you can get a darn nice TV these days for a few hundred bucks.

I do like the idea of an outdoor TV...mainly the idea of watching college football on a nice fall day while sitting on the deck. Maybe someday.

I have both and the Samsung Q80T produces a much better picture than their bargain brand. It has a better picture, brighter colors and better contrast. The software interface is also slightly different and the bargain brand has difficulty connecting either to wifi or even if I use ethernet. (cheaper wifi modem)

48" in my office and 50" in the living room.
Downstairs mancave (bar) has two 39" with one 50" between them. Adjoining exercise/play room has 96" projection tv and a 32" facing a treadmill and stationary bike.

Reactions: GarnetBeamer
Is the porch one an outdoor tv? If not how long have you had it and have you had any issues?

Is the porch one an outdoor tv? If not how long have you had it and have you had any issues?
I didn't know there was a difference. My brother has a 65" in his pool house that's been there at least 10 years. He had to replace it once when somebody took it. The only issue he's had once was something to do with the underground wiring.

I didn't know there was a difference. My brother has a 65" in his pool house that's been there at least 10 years. He had to replace it once when somebody took it. The only issue he's had once was something to do with the underground wiring.
The outdoor TVs are weather sealed and I know under a cover there isn’t much concern with rain but considering our temperature swings I was curious if the cold to hot and condensation that follows would be an issue. I want one on our patio and I could buy 5 regular TVs for the price of the outdoor TV so I was curious about life span.

The outdoor TVs are weather sealed and I know under a cover there isn’t much concern with rain but considering our temperature swings I was curious if the cold to hot and condensation that follows would be an issue. I want one on our patio and I could buy 5 regular TVs for the price of the outdoor TV so I was curious about life span.
He lives in a neighborhood in Lexington. He has a covered pool house. I believe the only moisture he would have would be heavy fog. I forget to mention that he also has a smaller one on his screened-in porch.

48" in my office and 50" in the living room.
Downstairs mancave (bar) has two 39" with one 50" between them. Adjoining exercise/play room has 96" projection tv and a 32" facing a treadmill and stationary bike.

What's your projection tv?

Nope, not outdoor. IIRC I paid somewhere around $150 Walmart a couple years ago. Not a 4k but is smart with Roku. I normally leave it mounted spring to fall, but bring it inside in the winter or when I know it will be strong winds/blowing rain. Weighs like 15-20 pounds, takes me less than a minute to take it down/put it up. I just can't justify what an outdoor TV costs, you'd literally have to replace a cheap one 5 times. I haven't had a single issue.

Love watching games on the porch, especially when my 2 boys come over. My boys, grill, TV, game, beers/bourbon (yes I let my 20 y/o have a few beers), doesn't get much better than that. That was the way things went down last Saturday night. We watch almost every football game on the porch. Can't wait for football season!

Nope, not outdoor. IIRC I paid somewhere around $150 Walmart a couple years ago. Not a 4k but is smart with Roku. I normally leave it mounted spring to fall, but bring it inside in the winter or when I know it will be strong winds/blowing rain. Weighs like 15-20 pounds, takes me less than a minute to take it down/put it up. I just can't justify what an outdoor TV costs, you'd literally have to replace a cheap one 5 times. I haven't had a single issue.

Love watching games on the porch, especially when my 2 boys come over. My boys, grill, TV, game, beers/bourbon (yes I let my 20 y/o have a few beers), doesn't get much better than that. That was the way things went down last Saturday night. We watch almost every football game on the porch. Can't wait for football season!

Sounds like a good time!

See above ^^... Nothing like watching a game outside and grilling. In the football season, it's always like "what are we grilling on Saturday for the game".

I couldn't care less about TV in bedroom. I go to bed (or fall asleep) earlier than my wife. She watches her Lifetime crap when I go to sleep..haha! If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't have a bedroom TV.

Man I got a whopper of a tale on me ,wife and the tv in the bedroom,lol.needless to say,I still didn’t get much sleep that night.

I have a smaller 32 inch regular TV outdoors at my dock. It is under cover and has lasted about 5 years with no issues. Primarily used for sports with a Roku stick. I keep a plastic cover on it when it not being used that helps keep bugs and moisture away from it

Reactions: Dizzy01
What's your projection tv?
It's just an Epson projecter with a firestick and a soundbar attached with an 8 ft screen. I guess measured diagonally, its bigger than 96". Cool thing about the screen is will roll up and hide by remote. Probably could go bigger but clarity might suffer.

Last edited:
I have 3 40” tv’s and don’t want any bigger. I have an older colonial style house and when it was built they didn’t have “watching tv” in mind. 40” is perfect for me, and honestly I’ll probably buy a non-smart tv when I have to replace them.

Have a 50" in our upstairs family room. Didn't want something obscenely large in our main living space that would look gaudy when we have company over.

In our media room downstairs, I have a 70". It's a holdover from our previous house where that was the appropriate size for the space it was in. I'd like to upgrade to larger, but for as often as we use it and with other things to do, it's just not a high priority at the moment. As our kids get older and we're able to family movie nights and such, I'll probably upgrade.

Would like to go the projector route but not terribly interested in a bunch of wiring and all that. I'm never on the leading edge of technology b/c the price drops so fast, I just wait a bit until the new stuff is out and then buy something a generation or so older. Felt sorry for those folks who rushed out and bought the big flat-screen HDTVs that were rendered totally obsolete when flat panels came out a couple years or so later.

65 inch in the man cave and 65 inch in the living room. 42 inch in the bedroom but I rarely if ever watch TV there.

I don’t see how you people sleep without a tv in the bedroom! Don’t you watch those late night college football games in the fall while falling asleep??

• Haha
Reactions: lakemurraycock1
Old-ass 46" Sharp Aquos that I paid an arm and a leg for when these TVs were still stupid expensive. It's 1080p and I mostly only use if for Netflix and XBox, though. And I'm luckyt enough to get all the networks in super high quality with a digital antenna. Looks so much better than when I had cable. Miss the Golf Channel though.

I put blinders on when I walk past to TVs at Costco and whatnot to prevent TV envy.

• Haha
Old-ass 46" Sharp Aquos that I paid an arm and a leg for when these TVs were still stupid expensive. It's 1080p and I mostly only use if for Netflix and XBox, though. And I'm luckyt enough to get all the networks in super high quality with a digital antenna. Looks so much better than when I had cable. Miss the Golf Channel though.

I put blinders on when I walk past to TVs at Costco and whatnot to prevent TV envy.
We still have an aquos in our loft and it does have a great picture still.

Reactions: leftneck
I have a 60" Hitachi bought in '97. It's still going strong and has an excellent picture. Worked on twice. It weights about 250 lbs.
My Hitachi does not reflect light. Most of the new tvs do. They had the technology to prevent glare 25 yrs ago so why the problem with new tvs? I don't wanna see my lamp or window on my tv screen.

I have 3 40” tv’s and don’t want any bigger. I have an older colonial style house and when it was built they didn’t have “watching tv” in mind. 40” is perfect for me, and honestly I’ll probably buy a non-smart tv when I have to replace them.
I don’t know if they make non smart TVs anymore. Lol

Have a 48 IN Samsung in the den and a 32 inch in the bedroom. Both were in cabinets that prevented anything larger.
Wife finally got rid of the cabinet in the den, and now looking for something in the 60 to 65 inch range.

Bedroom size remains, but I have my recliner set up in front of it so it is pretty good. Wife keeps saying that size in the bedroom is not what matters. I agree 🤣

Reactions: chief2791
Best Buy usually has an Insignia 40-50” they sell for $150 around the holidays. 1080p too. Not bad really!
I bought a 55” hisense at Costco for the exercise room a month ago for 239 and it was smart. I can’t believe how cheap these things have gotten. I remember in the beginning a 50” plasma was 10k

Reactions: robertfootball
That’s pretty amazing, isn’t it? That price.
Yep. I saw the deal on online and brickseek showed 3 in stock in Leesville. The guy in electronics thought the price was 800. I had him bring it out and scanned it and it showed the 480 price. He said that that was a great deal and his uncle would like it. It turned out it was the only one in stock there. I told him to tell his uncle to go to Orangeburg. There were a couple showing up there. I got very lucky. Also got a 65 inch roku 4k (onn) for 228 in December for my mother. Good deals happen if you look

Last edited:
65 in living room 58 in our bedroom and 50s in my two oldest sons’ rooms, and we need all 4 because nobody watches the same thing other than when we gather together in the living room for a movie or the Gamecocks.

I don’t see how you people sleep without a tv in the bedroom! Don’t you watch those late night college football games in the fall while falling asleep??

Ahhh, I do miss that about my single days. Used to love hopping in bed on a Saturday night and turning on a late west coast game.

Don't y'all know that the bedroom is for two things only?: sleeping and sex.

We don't have a bedroom TV. Y'all may watch more late night football, but I get more sleep and sex.

My father puts TVs on his screen porch. He just buys the cheapest tv Walmart has puts it out there. Under the cover it stays intact and lasts about a year. He had an outdoor tv that only lasted 3 years because of humidity (coastal area) so it’s cheaper just to replace with cheap tv once a year.

The large screens are nice but I've been more focused on adding screens. For example, my man room has a command center where I can view several screens at once. I have a few large computer screens daisy chained (via my MacBook). Really nice for working and watching multiple games/events. I stream everything so as long as I have a device connected to the internet, I can get to my programming.

I just replaced my 50 inch TV on my porch with a 65 inch. The 50 inch was there for 6 years with no issues in the elements. It's a screened in porch so it didn't get wet but held up with no issues with the temp changes.

My parents bought a 19" Sony Trinitron and a Zenith Betamax VCR years ago. I didn't think it could get any better.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT