ADVERTISEMENT

OT- what was your 1st day of college like? Mine was one to remember.

section907

Sep 16, 2000
I attended a small jr college in the upstate. I was still 17 yrs old and from Charleston. Arrived to find out my room would have 3 people in it due to over enrollment. One roommate was from Airport HS.. and showed up in a black Gothic look with a spike bracelet.. My other roommate was from Liberty SC. Don't think I could have landed two more different personalities but both nice guys.

Sat through orientation all day meeting new people and listening to the school rules. No alcohol on campus, no fighting, no drugs, etc.. all the boring stuff..

That night my roommates and 2-3 other new friends that lived next door went out to eat and grab a few beers.. ( drinking age back then had just changed to 21 but anyone that was already 18 could drink.. I used my fake ID.:) ...

Later that night we rolled back into the dorms and there were about 5-6 guys sitting in the hall way. ( later found out that they were all soccer players and part of the team) . Most everyone in the dorm is already in the rooms going to sleep. I go to use the hall community bathroom and pass by the group.. Being the nice guy that I am I am sure I said hello, but really on recall one of the guys making the comment.. " NEW MEAT" and all the guys laughing.. I continued to the bathroom and on my way back one of the guys made a comment about my Raider Boxers.. and asked if I thought I was a tough guy.. I am 17, and average size for my age. But felt like I could handle my own, especially with 6-10 beers in me :) ..
The conversation escalated quickly to them challenging me to a fight and eventually picking out the smallest one of their group and saying bet this guy can kick your butt.. I was nervous/slightly scared for a few reasons but didn't want it to show. I felt I had no other choice but to except. From my hometown, fighting was a common occurrence so getting my ass beat would have been better than backing down..
I layed out my rules.. I said OK..but no jumping in...and only if we go off campus. ( After all, early that day we just went through all the rules that would get you kicked out of school.and I am on my 2nd offense in less than 12 hours..) By this time half the hall is up and started gathering around.. We all walk what seemed like a mile but ended up being in the back of the ballfields still on campus ,

We square off and the 1st thing the guy does is start some Karate moves. I thought to myslef.. Oh, Shit..I was already prepared and understood never underestimate the size of a guy.. I had figured he was probably one of the badest in this group..which why he was nominated... I threw up my boxing stance and we danced for a seconds.. He came at me 1st with a sweeping roundhouse kick. I immediately countered with a straight overhand right that landed square on his jaw before his roundhouse landed. Knocking him to the ground. ( turns out its not hard to knock down a person on one leg.. ha) .I jumped on top of him and did my best version of MMA.. ( i had learned sometimes it better to throw a 100 fast punches then it is a few solid punches. It keeps the guy off-balanced.) Sure enough, one of their other guys jump on my back and started swinging.. I was able to get on my feet and stopped the fight.. Good thing there was about 20-30 people watching. I came up saying I knew you MF guys would jump in.. etc... The crowd agreed and the fight was ended..

The next day is when I find out they are part of the soccer team and all wanted a piece of me... The fast rumor was I sucker punched the guy... But that wasn't the case.. I really just got a lucky shot in when his head turned around into perfect position and landed the jaw punch.

While there were other fights during college.. The soccer team left me alone and I became friends with a few of them.

The other night I watched the movie " Shot Caller" and it reminded me of my 1st night away from home in a strange place with not knowing 1 other person. Sometimes you just have to make that stand.. It worked out for me.. In my defense, i came from a big family and had daily fights with older siblings so getting my butt whip wouldn't have been as bad as backing down.. in my opinion.. I remember calling home from the community hall phone that night at 2:00 am to talk to my brother and saying.. I don;t think I am going to like college a whole lot.. We laughed and everything seemed to be alright..

Seeing all the post online about parents dropping off their kids to college for their first time away from reminded me of my 1st night away. Everybody has story.. whats your story?

btw... Mods.. delete or move if needed..

Reactions: SCexpat38
That's a great story. Methodists are hard core. If that was the JC I'd hate to see how tuff Wofford was. JK. I've never been in a true fistfight but I can't imagine any scenario where I would lead with a roundhouse kick.

I attended a small jr college in the upstate. I was still 17 yrs old and from Charleston. Arrived to find out my room would have 3 people in it due to over enrollment. One roommate was from Airport HS.. and showed up in a black Gothic look with a spike bracelet.. My other roommate was from Liberty SC. Don't think I could have landed two more different personalities but both nice guys.

Sat through orientation all day meeting new people and listening to the school rules. No alcohol on campus, no fighting, no drugs, etc.. all the boring stuff..

That night my roommates and 2-3 other new friends that lived next door went out to eat and grab a few beers.. ( drinking age back then had just changed to 21 but anyone that was already 18 could drink.. I used my fake ID.:) ...

Later that night we rolled back into the dorms and there were about 5-6 guys sitting in the hall way. ( later found out that they were all soccer players and part of the team) . Most everyone in the dorm is already in the rooms going to sleep. I go to use the hall community bathroom and pass by the group.. Being the nice guy that I am I am sure I said hello, but really on recall one of the guys making the comment.. " NEW MEAT" and all the guys laughing.. I continued to the bathroom and on my way back one of the guys made a comment about my Raider Boxers.. and asked if I thought I was a tough guy.. I am 17, and average size for my age. But felt like I could handle my own, especially with 6-10 beers in me :) ..
The conversation escalated quickly to them challenging me to a fight and eventually picking out the smallest one of their group and saying bet this guy can kick your butt.. I was nervous/slightly scared for a few reasons but didn't want it to show. I felt I had no other choice but to except. From my hometown, fighting was a common occurrence so getting my ass beat would have been better than backing down..
I layed out my rules.. I said OK..but no jumping in...and only if we go off campus. ( After all, early that day we just went through all the rules that would get you kicked out of school.and I am on my 2nd offense in less than 12 hours..) By this time half the hall is up and started gathering around.. We all walk what seemed like a mile but ended up being in the back of the ballfields still on campus ,

We square off and the 1st thing the guy does is start some Karate moves. I thought to myslef.. Oh, Shit..I was already prepared and understood never underestimate the size of a guy.. I had figured he was probably one of the badest in this group..which why he was nominated... I threw up my boxing stance and we danced for a seconds.. He came at me 1st with a sweeping roundhouse kick. I immediately countered with a straight overhand right that landed square on his jaw before his roundhouse landed. Knocking him to the ground. ( turns out its not hard to knock down a person on one leg.. ha) .I jumped on top of him and did my best version of MMA.. ( i had learned sometimes it better to throw a 100 fast punches then it is a few solid punches. It keeps the guy off-balanced.) Sure enough, one of their other guys jump on my back and started swinging.. I was able to get on my feet and stopped the fight.. Good thing there was about 20-30 people watching. I came up saying I knew you MF guys would jump in.. etc... The crowd agreed and the fight was ended..

The next day is when I find out they are part of the soccer team and all wanted a piece of me... The fast rumor was I sucker punched the guy... But that wasn't the case.. I really just got a lucky shot in when his head turned around into perfect position and landed the jaw punch.

While there were other fights during college.. The soccer team left me alone and I became friends with a few of them.

The other night I watched the movie " Shot Caller" and it reminded me of my 1st night away from home in a strange place with not knowing 1 other person. Sometimes you just have to make that stand.. It worked out for me.. In my defense, i came from a big family and had daily fights with older siblings so getting my butt whip wouldn't have been as bad as backing down.. in my opinion.. I remember calling home from the community hall phone that night at 2:00 am to talk to my brother and saying.. I don;t think I am going to like college a whole lot.. We laughed and everything seemed to be alright..

Seeing all the post online about parents dropping off their kids to college for their first time away from reminded me of my 1st night away. Everybody has story.. whats your story?

btw... Mods.. delete or move if needed..
You shoulda BTH outta the other guy just for jumping in!!

In regards to my initial arrival in Cola?? How can you forget what ya can't remember?? It was awesome is all I can tell ya, and that was back in the fall of 1985!

ADVERTISEMENT