ADVERTISEMENT

OT - What would you do...

I certainly understand your sentiment, but with the sight lines we have out here, you will usually need to own about 2 million acres not to have another house in sight. I'm not sure how far I can see off my back deck, but it's at least 25 miles. Last hunting season was the first time I ever saw another hunter fire a shot . . . without ever hearing a report. I was watching him through my binoculars as he took a shot at deer. I estimated he was a couple of miles away.
Wow! Gotcha...... 200, 2million..... whatever it takes.:D

Banner Elk/Boone area appeal to me, just kind of cold and snowing up there in the winter. I like cold weather though, and the heat in MP in the summer can be stifling at times, even near the water!

I have family in Boone. We visit every Labor Day. It's sooooo nice there!

I certainly understand your sentiment, but with the sight lines we have out here, you will usually need to own about 2 million acres not to have another house in sight. I'm not sure how far I can see off my back deck, but it's at least 25 miles. Last hunting season was the first time I ever saw another hunter fire a shot . . . without ever hearing a report. I was watching him through my binoculars as he took a shot at deer. I estimated he was a couple of miles away.
My curiosity is making me ask here, so please do tell, did the hunter guy hit and hence get the deer??

Just curious!!

Last edited:
Those are good places. I also like the Shenandoah Valley.
I'm there. For us, it was Montana. For 20+ years, we had dreamed of moving to the northern Rockies, Montana in particular. But it was always just a dream with no real expectation that it could happen prior to retirement. And by the time we retired, who knew if we would still be able to do all the things we love doing that attracts us to this part of the world? In 2017, an opportunity came up to move out here through work and we decided to not spend the rest of our lives wondering "what if." We're here and while we are still young enough to enjoy it. So far, we have loved it. Having said that, it's not for everybody - and that's just fine with most Montanans.

Montana or Wyoming - somewhere that I could own about 200 acres and not have another house within sight......

Or, the mountains of western NC / eastern TN. Beautiful, beautiful country up there!!!

Banner Elk/Boone area appeal to me, just kind of cold and snowing up there in the winter. I like cold weather though, and the heat in MP in the summer can be stifling at times, even near the water!

Well fellas, I just don't know how to address this one without simply spillin' my guts so to speak, so here ya go: Ya'll can have the mountains - ALL of them!! I am simply NOT that type!! I mean I'm one of those that dig the flat lands and WARM weather ALL YEAR LONG!!

Now such may very well be additional consequences of once being married to a W.Va. native for 20+ years no doubt!! But give me somewhere here in the Southeast closer to the coast than is Charlotte, and I can/will call such home at anytime!!

JMHOFWIW, BTEHO!

Reactions: king ward
My curiosity is making me ask here, so please do tell, did the hunter guy hit and hence get the deer??
Just curious!!
Yes, he did. Just to be clear, the guy was maybe a couple of miles away from me, but he was only a couple hundred yards from the deer he shot. Or maybe he was 20 yards from it. haha. At that distance, depth perception through the binoculars is tricky.

Well fellas, I just don't know how to address this one without simply spillin' my guts so to speak, so here ya go: Ya'll can have the mountains - ALL of them!! I am simply NOT that type!! I mean I'm one of those that dig the flat lands and WARM weather ALL YEAR LONG!!

Now such may very well be additional consequences of once being married to a W.Va. native for 20+ years no doubt!! But give me somewhere here in the Southeast closer to the coast than is Charlotte, and I can/will call such home at anytime!!

JMHOFWIW, BTEHO!
Works for me, man. To each his own.

I will say this for the South: If I could move the Southern people, culture, and food out here to the Rockies, I sure would. Well, not all of the people, of course, because lack of crowds is one of the great characteristics of this area.

Last edited:
Reactions: 92Pony
ADVERTISEMENT