ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What's going on with this major bank?

permacock70

Aug 31, 2000
In Greenville the bank branches are no longer open on Sat.,, have closed the drive up windows and are now closing at 4 pm each day. Anyone else experienced this?

In Greenville the bank branches are no longer open on Sat.,, have closed the drive up windows and are now closing at 4 pm each day. Anyone else experienced this?

Sounds like my recent experience with Bank of America. I get it that more people are going on line, but the one experience that I have had with them when I needed them was a total disaster. Certain services not available, offices closing at 4, one teller to assist a line full of people, drive through not accessible, staff running to lock the doors before customers come in, customers in the bank having to use backdoor exits to get out, etc... Getting the run around, I had to go to 4 different locations to finally get my issue resolved.

I honestly contemplated moving all of my assets from them. When a bank makes it this difficult to get access to your money, something is wrong.

Charles Schwab bank is absolutely first class. Unfortunately there are no local branches (at least not in upstate SC) but for me it is worth it since they reimburse you for any ATM fees at other banks.

Avoid the drive through at the Bank of America in West Columbia by Parkland Plaza. There is usually only one teller working 2-3 lanes, and it takes forever.

I have used State Farm Bank for over 10 years....works perfect. It’s a virtual bank but I have never had one issue.

Get used to it. With just about all banking services available online, will not be too far down the road that branches will not exist at all. Just like the self service aisles at grocery store. Just getting the masses used to doing it themselves so they can eliminate cashier's. McDonalds now has ordering kiosks in some restaurants. It's the future, like it or not

When I go to the bank branch it is typically full of Spanish speaking tellers and Spanish speaking customers. I suppose now the big banks are starting to realize that their return on the branch labor costs isn't worth it considering the amount of deposits that are held by the majority of customers that use the branches these days.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Another reason could be that this is something being done to help satisfy the massive amount of gov regulation being inflicted on banks.

The systems might be going down for longer periods of time over the weekend for software updates and for disaster recovery preparations.

A lot of these systems can't have down time during the week so they have to open a bigger window to be down/partially down during maintenance.

I don't know, but I'll ask that question to all the folks in the line in front of me next time I go there. I've not yet found a suitable way on-line to deal with cash or check deposits or the writing of cashier/teller checks which I have to do from time to time.

You can either have direct deposit or deposit your check on the smartphone.

I don't use cash and if I do, then I'll go to the ATM (Not at a bank).

I hate having cash, unless I need some dollar bills....:D

I was told that SC is just catching up with the rest of the states in closing banks at 4pm. And the early closing doesn't save money as the workers will still be working in the bank.
And I go to the bank every day as a real estate atty who has to deposit $$ everyday. I have accounts at 4 different banks and I enjoy the fact that the tellers know and appreciate me. And I have a BOA account because no matter where I travel I can find a branch. I have clients, buyers and sellers, who have internet banks or USAA or State Farm Bank, and they can't get cashiers checks or wires originated over the phone and it affects their ability to buy houses on a weekly basis.

Why would you go to a branch? Really not sure why they still exist at all.

Where would all the businesses in the country that bring in billions of dollars each day deposit their cash from their sales? As a small business owner; we use the bank every day to deposit cash. That’s probably why they’ll always exist...

I have a Wells Fargo checking account and they have several branches open in Charlotte where I live and I know of a couple in Greenville, SC where I go to see my parents, but I primarily use a Fidelity Investments account. They let you use any ATM and reimburse the ATM fees each month. They also offer a no fee 2% cash back credit card. Easy to deal with. Also can deposit checks on line by taking a picture of the check. I never go to Wells Fargo unless I need something notarized.

I never even knew that there were bank branches open for service on weekends. I actually remember when it used to be, the only way one could do business with their banks was in person at the branches, but still banks closed early on Wednesdays every week, because most all of the businesses in town closed early on Wednesdays, and no one ever complained about that, because it was preferred......

The grocery store is my ATM, cashback! Between online and mobile app I don't need a branch.
Using your debit card at any store is one of the worst things you can do.

If someone gets a hold of a your debit card and wipes out your checking/saving... it's going to take a lot of effort to get that money back typically.

With a credit card, they just shrug their shoulders and replace the credit and investigate later.

Using your debit card at any store is one of the worst things you can do.

If someone gets a hold of a your debit card and wipes out your checking/saving... it's going to take a lot of effort to get that money back typically.

With a credit card, they just shrug their shoulders and replace the credit and investigate later.

Plus you get the credit card points. I haven’t used a debit card, except to grab cash every now and then, in years

Definitely some legitimate reasons listed ITT for why branches still exist, mainly small business owners, etc... but there is no reason why they still exist for the average customer.

Plus you get the credit card points. I haven’t used a debit card, except to grab cash every now and then, in years
Exactly.

I use a credit card on ANYTHING i can and pay it off at the end of the month.

Taking that approach in the last 10 years I would say I have received the following free things. (It's free because I don't pay any interest for paying it off each month)

At least ~20 free flights (3-4 of them first class, 6-7 upgrades to 1st class); all east coast to west coast flights

$5-6k in gift cards to Best Buy, Lowes/Home Depot, Restaurants

Currently have 4k built up on a Disney card ready to dump some money in the House of the Mouse.

Any points you get for using a debit card is a joke so there's no positive there either.

If I use a debit card, it's my Ally card to get money out of an ATM. They give me the service fee back at the end of the month.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Definitely some legitimate reasons listed ITT for why branches still exist, mainly small business owners, etc... but there is no reason why they still exist for the average customer.
Because of that... banks are actually looking to start charging a monthly 'fee' if you want to bank with them.

The value of holding your money was enough to pay for these things in the past but not anymore.

Technology has made starting up a bank easy and the cost of a brick and mortar branches to disappear.

The big banks are actually looking into using drones to deliver money to their customers instead of having ATMs and lots of brick and mortar branches.

I love using cash. I like to have lots of it on hand.:D

U do like me and carry a wad of cash when I walk thru bad neighborhoods?

I worked an election in Dillon last week and I always get paid on election day. I always cash the check there in Dillon. When the teller handed me the envelope with the money, she said: "Be careful carrying around that much cash" I was putting away my license at the time so I just showed her my CWP and said: "I am ALWAYS careful" She just smiled...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT