ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Which fanbase is more upset with a loss Saturday?

Judson1

Jul 31, 2008
Clemson? Who thinks they should never lose and their performance against OSU last year still in their minds?
Or Georgia? Who seems to be on the cusp now 5 or so years into the Smart era. But hasn’t yet won like many expect them to?

Reactions: cockofdawn
Taters NO DOUBT, only team with a Pulse they play until Plyoffs, they CANT LOSE!! PERIOD!!
The flip-side of that is, even if they lose, they get the cruise through the cupcake schedule and be guaranteed a CFP spot. A loss to UGA really won't hurt them at all.

Now UGA: an opening week loss could be compounded by a loss or two throughout the much tougher SEC schedule.

UGA fans will have a more legitimate reason to be upset with a loss....

UGA could still eke into the playoffs with a loss. It'll be an uphill battle if they lose, but it can be done.

Most pundits are in agreement, though, that Saturday is Clemson's season. Lose and they're out of playoff contention. Also, based on what my Clemson friends have told me, this is their measuring stick game. They've been run off the field in their last 2 playoff games, so they view this game as the barometer for whether they are still elite or just very good. I think a loss would be most disheartening for them.

UGA could still eke into the playoffs with a loss. It'll be an uphill battle if they lose, but it can be done.

Most pundits are in agreement, though, that Saturday is Clemson's season. Lose and they're out of playoff contention. Also, based on what my Clemson friends have told me, this is their measuring stick game. They've been run off the field in their last 2 playoff games, so they view this game as the barometer for whether they are still elite or just very good. I think a loss would be most disheartening for them.
I think a loss is worse for Clemson. UGA can lose and still make the playoffs. Obviously, they would have to win out, including beating Bama in Atlanta (which at this point, I'll believe that will happen when I see it happen). Still, it's possible. Clemson loses and they no longer control their destiny. It's a given the SEC champ is getting in. Oklahoma and OSU could run the table. Even if they drop one and win the respective conferences, they are likely in. That's 3 of the 4 spots. If an undefeated Bama loses a close game to an undefeated UGA in Atlanta, I think that 1 loss Bama gets in over Clemson.

If it's a close game, I don't think either Clempson or Georgia fans will be TERRIBLY upset.

I think the upset fan base (if there still is one) would be be Miami if Alabama trounces them by 50+.
I'm predicting an upset in the Bama vs Miami game. I hope it doesn't happen but for some reason I feel it in my bones. Now I would not bet on it at all but Bama lost a lot of players from last year.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
I am surrounded by UGA fans, so believe me, it will be UGA. Despite evidence to the contrary they believe they are NC contenders every single year.
And, when they lose it will because of the ref's, timekeeper, the weather, time of day, day of week, venue, anything but the team's shortcomings.
They are an insufferable lot.
We all think you're just swell.

2 Questions:
Who is we
When you say you, is that singular or plural.
Finally, I noticed you did not deny any of the post.
Apologies for the lack of clarification. "We" refers to UGA fans. I speak for all of them. UGA loses games for the same reasons other teams do. UGA lost two games last year because, in large part, they were starting a former walk-on at QB against Bama and UF. Winning under those circumstances would be a high bar for any team. We've also been plagued by some questionable in-game coaching decisions.

Reactions: redrogers
I am surrounded by UGA fans, so believe me, it will be UGA. Despite evidence to the contrary they believe they are NC contenders every single year.
And, when they lose it will because of the ref's, timekeeper, the weather, time of day, day of week, venue, anything but the team's shortcomings.
Agree....especially in the long term. Immediately it may be Clemson, but if UGA loses, depending on how the remainder of their season goes, they will be pointing at this first game.

I'm predicting an upset in the Bama vs Miami game. I hope it doesn't happen but for some reason I feel it in my bones. Now I would not bet on it at all but Bama lost a lot of players from last year.
I hope you are right, and it could actually happen. Bama is replacing their OC, SE, RB, and QB so the offense may not quite be on all cylinders.
On the other side of the ball, Manny Diaz is back calling plays on defense, and D'Eriq King the QB is seasoned and pretty dynamic. I know it's a long shot but:
GO CANES

Reactions: rogue cock
Alabama is going to travel like Alabama. I'm thinking a good 80% of the people there are Alabama. 10% Miami. and other 10% just because.

Maybe Alabama isn't up by more than 10-14 at half but.... I'm betting another 28-35 pts going Miami's way in the second half.

What are you feeding those bones to make you think Miami has a chance?

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
The flip-side of that is, even if they lose, they get the cruise through the cupcake schedule and be guaranteed a CFP spot. A loss to UGA really won't hurt them at all.

Now UGA: an opening week loss could be compounded by a loss or two throughout the much tougher SEC schedule.

UGA fans will have a more legitimate reason to be upset with a loss....
Oh after losing to South Carolina, Dablow will be crying to increase the Playoffs. Taters with 2 losses (If four team playoff) would not get in... Georgis has many other Good teams on their schedule, they could afford a loss more!!

Reactions: 92Pony
IMO, If they lose (Taters) they HAVE to win out IMO.... Ga could lose and even another and still get in!!

Agree on clemson, but not on UGA. If clemson wins, they, osu and the sec Champ Bama are in the playoffs. UGA would have to argue two losses against both b12 and p12 champions for the last spot. I don't like their chances there.

UGA is getting Clemson at a good time. Either team might not know exactly what their personality is going into the first game.

Georgia fans have to be getting edgy about Smart in big game situations. Every loss in marquee games turns up the scrutiny and the angst. I'd say a loss in this game will disturb Georgia Nation to a greater extent than UPC's fans will be upset if their team loses.

Georgia. If Clemson loses, they run the table and the national media, who is in love with Blabbo, will demand that Clemson get in. Though I did hear an interview with the backup QB at Clemson (Taisun P..............) on WPCC, and he was a class act.
I still hate Clemson with the fire of 10,000 suns.

There is virtually no way a 12-1 ACC champion Clemson gets left out of the playoff. Unless there are four undefeated teams between the other power 5 conferences + Notre Dame, no way Clemson misses. ESPN loves them too much.

If they lose to UGA I seriously doubt have another loss. It's more of a cakewalk for them every year.
Oh, I agre, but I do think Ga, with their SOS, would be okay ancd controlling their own Destiny!! Taters "FAN BASE" on the other hand are hoping to quell that "they play NOONE" argument that everyone outside of Pickens cries... SO IMO, Taters fan base would be more depressed.. I am not saying a TATER loss eliminates them, that wasnt the OP question!!

Reactions: TheReelEss
There is virtually no way a 12-1 ACC champion Clemson gets left out of the playoff. Unless there are four undefeated teams between the other power 5 conferences + Notre Dame, no way Clemson misses. ESPN loves them too much.

It's quite likely (based on how other teams perform, of course). There's a sense to some degree that Clemson has been exposed in the last 2 playoffs and their weak strength of schedule has gained a lot of increased scrutiny as a result. If they lose their only game against a quality opponent this season, it'll be a major black mark on their resume.

Just like the fans of every other team in every sport.

UGA is getting Clemson at a good time. Either team might not know exactly what their personality is going into the first game.
Everyone knows what UGA will be. it's the same thing they are every year. heavy ground and pound attack with just barely enough of a receiving threat to keep the box from having 10 guys in it constantly.

It's quite likely (based on how other teams perform, of course). There's a sense to some degree that Clemson has been exposed in the last 2 playoffs and their weak strength of schedule has gained a lot of increased scrutiny as a result. If they lose their only game against a quality opponent this season, it'll be a major black mark on their resume.
OSU (prior to last year) and OU have been embarrassed repeatedly in the playoffs and still manage to automatically start in the conversation and hang around despite bad losses. unfortunately I doubt this hurts future tater playoff prospects for this exact reason, but should basically kill their season this year.

I think UGA thinks they should win. Taters are mostly hoping for a W.
Pro Football Focus had a writer on DP that expects UGA to cruise because of their defense, fwiw. He’s the only writer or personality I’ve seen to call for a blowout in either direction.
I’m thinking a 33-26 UGA win. Shutting down Ross in the passing game will allow another WR to step up, but I think the UGA running game will eat up just enough time to prevent a late CU score.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT