ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Windows 10??

savoirspur74

Feb 5, 2003
Received the notice about updating to Windows 10 - is this something we NEED to do?? Anyone heard about compatibility issues?? Thanks!

Received the notice about updating to Windows 10 - is this something we NEED to do?? Anyone heard about compatibility issues?? Thanks!

You don't NEED to do it, but I think it would be a good idea. Windows 10 will be a nice combo of 7 and 8, with some additional features. They won't immediately end support for 7, and you can still get security patches and hotfixes for it. However, they won't be introducing anything new for it either. I think final support will end in 2020.

Our firm is upgrading our image to Windows 10 once it comes out. Will take some tweaking but I'm sure we'll figure it out.

Which version are you on? I'm running Windows 10 now (technical preview) and I like it. Of course, you don't NEED to do it. I have not run into any compatibility issues so far, but it depends on the age of your computer. If you're on 8, then you should be just fine...probably 7 as well. I believe the upgrade will be free to all 7, 8, 8.1 users.

I've seen a little bit of a beta copy. I like it better than Win 8.1....... not that that's saying much. I'll probably upgrade our Surfaces to get rid of the dreadful Win 8.1, but keep everything else at Win 7. MS seems to get every-other OS right, so given that, 10 should be good - LOL!

You have a year...I have 8.1 and I am not happy with it but all experts say wait a few months so Microsoft can work out the bugs. That's what I am doing....

Which version are you on? I'm running Windows 10 now (technical preview) and I like it. Of course, you don't NEED to do it. I have not run into any compatibility issues so far, but it depends on the age of your computer. If you're on 8, then you should be just fine...probably 7 as well. I believe the upgrade will be free to all 7, 8, 8.1 users.
If you have windows 8 you have to upgrade to 8.1 first.....not sure about windows 7.

I have Windows 8.1 on this comp and I like it ok. I have Vista on another one and that's the one I'm gonna update.

I have Windows 8.1 on this comp and I like it ok. I have Vista on another one and that's the one I'm gonna update.
That may not be possible. You have to check and see if your computer can be updated to windows 10 and then you will have to buy the program to do it. The program cost might be to cost prohibited and a new computer might be the easy out. The free programs are only for windows 7,8 and 8.1. The rest have to buy it. You will want to upgrade to a new computer to do that. Windows 10 is being set up to do 3d, holograms, and much more complex programs.

That may not be possible. You have to check and see if your computer can be updated to windows 10 and then you will have to buy the program to do it. The program cost might be to cost prohibited and a new computer might be the easy out. The free programs are only for windows 7,8 and 8.1. The rest have to buy it. You will want to upgrade to a new computer to do that. Windows 10 is being set up to do 3d, holograms, and much more complex programs.
Hmmm... Tks. There goes that idea. I don't want to buy a new comp so I guess I will just take this one in. I've just had the hard drives replaced on this one and on the Vista one.

Hmmm... Tks. There goes that idea. I don't want to buy a new comp so I guess I will just take this one in. I've just had the hard drives replaced on this one and on the Vista one.
If you have less than 4 GB I wouldn't bother. I know a 2 GB is not going to run it. I would think 8 GB would be the route to go......JMO

You have a certain amount of time to do it before it is not free any more. I think it's a year. You'll need Windows 10 if you want to take advantage of any DirectX 12 technology.

If you update from Vista to Win10 you will have to pay. It's only a free upgrade for users of Win7 and Win8, 8.1. Mircosoft stop supporting Windows XP and Vista over a year ago. Same will eventually happen to 7 and 8 versions over the next years. That is why you may want to consider the upgrade if you have windows 7 or 8.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anna_Nimmitty
I have a extra computer that I built a while back to play with Linux on. I used that computer to run the trial version of 10. I thought it combined the old style (pre windows 8) with the new style pretty well. I have already reserved my free copy of 10 so I can update as soon as its available. I am sure there will be a few bugs as there always is but I played around with it for about a two months and didnt see any major issues. I am also interested to get a first look at Microsoft Edge which is the replacement for Internet Explorer. IE has been horrible for the last few versions. Hopefully this new one can compete with the Chrome and Firefox.

I have a extra computer that I built a while back to play with Linux on. I used that computer to run the trial version of 10. I thought it combined the old style (pre windows 8) with the new style pretty well. I have already reserved my free copy of 10 so I can update as soon as its available. I am sure there will be a few bugs as there always is but I played around with it for about a two months and didnt see any major issues. I am also interested to get a first look at Microsoft Edge which is the replacement for Internet Explorer. IE has been horrible for the last few versions. Hopefully this new one can compete with the Chrome and Firefox.
IE doesn't seem to be as fast as Firefox but it has a lot of things I like about it. Ditto on the Windows 10. I have reserved a free copy, too.

Where did you sign up for the 10 version. I keep waiting on some information from Microsoft but nothing as of yet. I don't want a beta version either. I will stick with Firefox or Seamonkey. I don't trust anything connected to the Explorer engine.....they never got it right so I will take a wait and see on that. I loved Linux but it was just too hard to adapt totally to it.....

Where did you sign up for the 10 version. I keep waiting on some information from Microsoft but nothing as of yet. I don't want a beta version either. I will stick with Firefox or Seamonkey. I don't trust anything connected to the Explorer engine.....they never got it right so I will take a wait and see on that. I loved Linux but it was just too hard to adapt totally to it.....
You should have a little Windows icon in your system tray if you have your windows up to date. If you hover over it, it should say "Get Windows 10" You can click on it an follow the directions to reserve your free upgrade. The other way is to go to Windows update from your control panel and search for updates. If you are all up to date, it should say "reserve your upgrade of Windows 10 today" or something along that line. And you can click on it and follow directions. When July 29th rolls around it should just come in as an optional update. Make sure you use the Microsoft tool to identify which programs you have that won't be compatible to windows 10 before you upgrade.

When you sign up, they'll actually start downloading pre-installation packages to your current OS, so that when July 29th comes around you don't have a 4.7GB download all at once. Lessens the load on their servers as well.

Reactions: Tigerof66
just reserved mine July 29 is when it will be ready

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT