ADVERTISEMENT

Our football program was truly messed up with Muschamp at the helm. However, I think we may

It does look like it will be Beamer. If we are going for the CEO approach he has to hire the best. But what I'm afraid we will do is keep most of the current staff.

Take a gamble on Chadwell. He will probably be an immediate improvement. He cannot possibly do any worse than Muschamp.

It does look like it will be Beamer. If we are going for the CEO approach he has to hire the best. But what I'm afraid we will do is keep most of the current staff.

Take a gamble on Chadwell. He will probably be an immediate improvement. He cannot possibly do any worse than Muschamp.

What does that even mean, the CEO approach? Every good Football team that has sustained success has a CEO for a coach. What other approaches are there? Is Saban a CEO guy, what makes him one?

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
The more I hear from Beamer, the more I like the hire.
Same!

I don’t get the doom and gloom from some fans about a hiring process still in the early stages! By any account I have heard we have interviewed ONE candidate thus far and we are not even two weeks in yet... Nothing that has happened this far has been negative or out of the ordinary.

Of course, personally I really like Napier (1), Beamer (2) and Chadwell as options for our job and some do not, so I guess the mere mention of those candidates upset some people? My question would be- who did people expect us to hire? What candidates that people thought were realistic options for our job have we not heard connected to the search? I cannot think of one..

Reactions: booref
What does that even mean, the CEO approach? Every good Football team that has sustained success has a CEO for a coach. What other approaches are there? Is Saban a CEO guy, what makes him one?
A lot of head coaches call plays - either offense or defense. Some just to override the play call by the coordinator.

Why id rather have Napier of Chadwell is well get a large part of thier current staff which equals continuity with the staff.
My worry with Beamer is even with him making all these assumed great staff hires is its going to be a mixed bag more so than the other 2 guys

Reactions: lakemurraycock1
A lot of head coaches call plays - either offense or defense. Some just to override the play call by the coordinator.

If you run a successful football program, it is b/c you are a CEO. You may have one side of the ball you are more involved in than the other or you may not, but 90% of your success will come from your ability to lead and inspire others and know when and how to make good decisions.

be about to mess it up even more than before, if that is possible, with Ray conducting the search. Boy, do I hope I'm wrong!
Man, you guys gotta step back from the ledge. Muschamp was a disaster but he was a bad hire from the start. He had a record of failing. You were stuck with him, depending on who you want to believe, because they guys you wanted, guys like Kirby Smart, Tom Herman, Dave Doeren, chose other places. 2016 was a big year for coaching changes. SC had to compete with places like Va Tech, VA, UGA, and Texas. That doesn't seem to be the case this year. There are not going to be opportunities at places someone perceives to be better. You have several good applicants this time and they all seem to want the job.

Reactions: DrMickey
To help me step back from the ledge, could you please give me the name of just one “good applicant” who “wants the job”?
I'll try but like everyone else here, I just know what I hear. I heard that Beamer wants the job. Guy has coached under Spurrier, Smart, his father, and Lincoln Riley. He has coached at SC, so he knows the terrain and has recruited this area. People are free to get hung up on him never having a coordinator title but how much does that really matter? Question is, can the guy be a great spokesman for the program and have an eye to talent (coaching and player). I hear Napier interviewed. He interviewed because he is interested, not to strengthen his position at LA-Lafayette. He's been a successful OC and had a good run in his current job. People can view this anyway they want. You guys got rid of a terrible coach. There should be some optimism.

I'll try but like everyone else here, I just know what I hear. I heard that Beamer wants the job. Guy has coached under Spurrier, Smart, his father, and Lincoln Riley. He has coached at SC, so he knows the terrain and has recruited this area. People are free to get hung up on him never having a coordinator title but how much does that really matter? Question is, can the guy be a great spokesman for the program and have an eye to talent (coaching and player). I hear Napier interviewed. He interviewed because he is interested, not to strengthen his position at LA-Lafayette. He's been a successful OC and had a good run in his current job. People can view this anyway they want. You guys got rid of a terrible coach. There should be some optimism.
Great list you put together

Nothing like being the guinea pigs.
Which proven HC do you want? Urban Meyer? That isn't happening. Bob Stoops? Doesn't seem to be any indication he's willing to return to college coaching. You want Tom Herman after Texas fires him (to hire Urban Meyer)? No one here seems to have a choice of a proven guy who will win, that SC could realistically land. Instead, they find one reason or another to hate the guys who are available.

I appreciate the sincerity and tone of your response. My concern with Shane Beamer is that his pedigree is getting more attention than his actual coaching and recruiting achievements. And my concern about Billy Napier is the brevity of his resume. Yes, he has had some success, but is it enough to make us think he’ll be a sure bet at a P5 program?

I appreciate the sincerity and tone of your response. My concern with Shane Beamer is that his pedigree is getting more attention than his actual coaching and recruiting achievements. And my concern about Billy Napier is the brevity of his resume. Yes, he has had some success, but is it enough to make us think he’ll be a sure bet at a P5 program?
I responded earlier on this thread with a question about who does the SC fanbase think meet the requirements of proven winner as HC in P5 and is available. I won't repeat all that here but it begs the question, who do you want? Names like Beamer, Napier, Chadwell....they would be the same names you'd hear for openings at Tennessee, Auburn, or Va Tech. Someone, somwhere thinks they are good HC applicants and future head coaches. I just can see this in terms of "these guys suck and SC just has to pick one." Rather, these are the same coaches other schools would be - and will be - pursuing.

Everyone that thinks Ray is doing a terrible job at the search. It has been private. How do you know he is doing a terrible job this time. I see what happened to the Muschamp hire is happening now. About 1/3 of the fans will be unhappy regardless of who gets hired. That 1/3 thinks if Urban Myer or Stoops isn't hired, then Ray has done a bad job. I think the top two candidates are Napier and Beamer. I'm fine with either. My only concern is what kind of coordinators will Beamer bring. I'd love for some back channel names to be floated. He has coached under many types of systems. So what type of system will he bring. Who ever gets hired we need to rally Carolina Nation to get us out of this dark spot we're in...

Reactions: booref
Man, you guys gotta step back from the ledge. Muschamp was a disaster but he was a bad hire from the start. He had a record of failing. You were stuck with him, depending on who you want to believe, because they guys you wanted, guys like Kirby Smart, Tom Herman, Dave Doeren, chose other places. 2016 was a big year for coaching changes. SC had to compete with places like Va Tech, VA, UGA, and Texas. That doesn't seem to be the case this year. There are not going to be opportunities at places someone perceives to be better. You have several good applicants this time and they all seem to want the job.
Nah. It was simpler than that.
Mussie was the first one to come in off the street.
Tanner doesn’t do difficult hires,
Too stressful.

I responded earlier on this thread with a question about who does the SC fanbase think meet the requirements of proven winner as HC in P5 and is available. I won't repeat all that here but it begs the question, who do you want? Names like Beamer, Napier, Chadwell....they would be the same names you'd hear for openings at Tennessee, Auburn, or Va Tech. Someone, somwhere thinks they are good HC applicants and future head coaches. I just can see this in terms of "these guys suck and SC just has to pick one." Rather, these are the same coaches other schools would be - and will be - pursuing.

Agree on Napier and Chadwell completely. Good candidates, they fit the experience description with success a a head coach.

So USC will hire neither of them, and get the guy that Auburn or Tenn would chuckle at and tell to go get more experience.

I agree with slodawg- take a breath ya’ll! We are currently the only team looking for a coach and we have a bunch of great options! Nobody has officially backed out of our search except a few guys that were never going to be hired anyway, and even they are just saying publicly what any coach would say to retain and protect their current job. We know nothing yet. All we know is that the school has a new President with an interest in FB and a history of turning around a flailing program, and we hired a search firm to help our AD as well. These are good things...

If you run a successful football program, it is b/c you are a CEO. You may have one side of the ball you are more involved in than the other or you may not, but 90% of your success will come from your ability to lead and inspire others and know when and how to make good decisions.
I agree with that. You hire good people and let them do their job. You have a "master plan" and "vision" for the program and you make sure everyone else is on board and committed. IMHO, when you tinker with the details on offense or defense it confuses things. Spurrier was an exception because he was a genius at calling plays.

BUT - I think it helps to have come up through the ranks and have worked as a coordinator. It doesn't mean you can't be successful if you were not, but it is the paradigm.

You make some good points. I think the angst is coming from the fact that Ray is still the one doing the search. As early as this past week, Jeff Monken was actually considered a realistic candidate by some outlets. You can't make this stuff up.

I do have to ask you: If your Dawgs were searching for a new coach, would you be OK if they hired Beamer?

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Reminded me of a story. This comes from Art Baker’s book. When Art was offensive coordinator at Florida State, he was in the booth calling plays. In one game, Bobby Bowden kept calling up to the booth to “run Cadillac”, his favorite play. Art told him several times the other team was lined up defensively so that play wouldn’t work. But Bowden kept calling and said “run Cadillac”. So Art went ahead and called the play. The pass was intercepted and run back for a touchdown. Bowden called Art back and said “I see what you mean.” 😂

Reactions: OldWiseCock
You make some good points. I think the angst is coming from the fact that Ray is still the one doing the search. As early as this past week, Jeff Monken was actually considered a realistic candidate by some outlets. You can't make this stuff up.

I do have to ask you: If your Dawgs were searching for a new coach, would you be OK if they hired Beamer?
His answer is no. Everyone's answer but SC's is no. We will be the guinea pig more than likely. I've given up on Freeze. We don't have the balls. Chadwell it is.

Yeah, I think I would. A lot is made of his lack of HC or coordinator experience and I get the skepticism about that. SC is a big time job (despite what many poster here seem to think). I just don't agree thats a recipe for failure. Look at some of the current guys who have had all the "right" positions: Willie Taggart, Mike Norvell (jury still out but he ain't exactly killing it), Dustin Fuentes (he was a "can't miss), and Jim Harbaugh. James Franklin was "proven" and look at that train wreck. Couple of days ago Seth Emerson was on Heath Cline's show discussing a book he'd written about how Kirby changed the culture at UGA. Emerson discussed how instrumental Beamer's insight was in for the book and how much Beamer claims he learned from the experience. Not just Kirby, but Beamer has worked for a number of successful coaches. Beamer has expereince in the SEC and recruited (quite successfully) at SC. Pardon the long-winded response to your question, but I'd be okay with a Beamer hire at UGA. Then again, I'd trust the UGA administration had made the right hire. I think SC fan base skepticism is less about the name of the HC and more about the process of arriving at it.

Yeah, I think I would. A lot is made of his lack of HC or coordinator experience and I get the skepticism about that. SC is a big time job (despite what many poster here seem to think). I just don't agree thats a recipe for failure. Look at some of the current guys who have had all the "right" positions: Willie Taggart, Mike Norvell (jury still out but he ain't exactly killing it), Dustin Fuentes (he was a "can't miss), and Jim Harbaugh. James Franklin was "proven" and look at that train wreck. Couple of days ago Seth Emerson was on Heath Cline's show discussing a book he'd written about how Kirby changed the culture at UGA. Emerson discussed how instrumental Beamer's insight was in for the book and how much Beamer claims he learned from the experience. Not just Kirby, but Beamer has worked for a number of successful coaches. Beamer has expereince in the SEC and recruited (quite successfully) at SC. Pardon the long-winded response to your question, but I'd be okay with a Beamer hire at UGA. Then again, I'd trust the UGA administration had made the right hire. I think SC fan base skepticism is less about the name of the HC and more about the process of arriving at it.
Thanks for the encouragement dude I have read a lot of post about our fans wondering about what rival fans would think. Personally doesn’t matter to me what anyone thinks of whoever is hired. But your insight provides an unbiased opinion and I for one appreciate it.

It doesn't have to be complicated. Hire a head coach with a winning record. It really is that simple.

My feeling is that after gambling on a proven failed Head Coach in Muschamp, we can ill afford a 2nd consecutive disaster of a hire. If we go another 5 years like we have had in the past few years, our program will be perceived as Vanderbilt 2.0, making it very difficult to climb out of that hole. Any hire is going to be a gamble. But, some more so than others. That's why I prefer:

Billy Napier: took over a program in which previous recruiting classes were ranked at or near the bottom of the SBC conference. Yet, he won his division in his first 2 seasons and may win his conference this year. Thus, he evidently knows how to coach. And his recruiting efforts were number one in his conference the past 2 years. So, he evidently knows how to get the "Jimmys and the Joes". Of course, based on his recruiting success when he was at Clemson, he was a proven recruiter long before he became a Head Coach.

Jamey Chadwell: he was won at 3 different schools. That tells me that he knows how to successfully handle the pressures, duties and responsibilities of being a Head Coach.

A 3rd coach who has not been mentioned much here but, Heath Cline says is interested and that we have a mutual interest in, is Neal Brown of West Virginia. He was VERY successful at Troy, taking that mid-major school on the road and beating LSU and Nebraska and coming within 6 points of beating Clemson at Death Valley. He has also done a good job of recruiting. He is improving West Virginia in his 2nd season there.

I don't know who we will hire. But, after the unmitigated disaster of a hire that Tanner made in Will Muschamp, he better be right this time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Legendary Cock
He better be right this time or I will still support my university.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT