ADVERTISEMENT

Our reality

JComp

Sep 11, 2020
5 years into Muschamp’s tenure the (Supposedly) best option we have at QB is an injury prone grad transfer from Colorado State (of the MWC) who has played just one season’s worth of games in 4 years and hasn’t started a full season of football since 2015 in high school.

Pardon me for not breaking out the bubbly.

Imagine- YOU starting another thread pouting about who the starting QB is... this might be a record in a day for someone on this site... You should consider getting behind the players/team, or pick another team to pull for. According to what you said on another post, you aren't going to support the team because a "non-gamecock" is going to start for us.

5 years into Muschamp’s tenure the (Supposedly) best option we have at QB is an injury prone grad transfer from Colorado State (of the MWC) who has played just one season’s worth of games in 4 years and hasn’t started a full season of football since 2015 in high school.

Ok tater. Shouldn’t you be worried about Dabo’s enormous ears?

Jesus you are one whiney little bitch.

tenor.gif

If we think in terms of Bentley versus Hill we end up at the wrong end of the stick. These coaches could not keep Bentley in the fold because the signal given was that RH would start. Now Bobo comes in with Hill, supposedly a QB who would have never made it here if not for Bobo, and somehow Hill beats out RH.

If not for Bobo, Hill would not start. Even if Bentley was here RH would probably have started. What a twisted tale.

I imagine a world where we don't start crying about our team and coaches until after we lose a game. Just be patient little one, I'm sure it won't be long.

• Haha
Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
If we think in terms of Bentley versus Hill we end up at the wrong end of the stick. These coaches could not keep Bentley in the fold because the signal given was that RH would start. Now Bobo comes in with Hill, supposedly a QB who would have never made it here if not for Bobo, and somehow Hill beats out RH.

If not for Bobo, Hill would not start. Even if Bentley was here RH would probably have started. What a twisted tale.

Spot on. You are dead on that our coaches wouldn't have given Hill a nanosecond of thought were it not for Bobo coming here. We didn't want him out of high school and we wouldn't have wanted him as a grad transfer, save for Bobo coming here. And the only reason he transferred is b/c he knew he wouldn't get the starting gig at CSU...think about THAT...our starting QB couldn't hack it in the MWC.

What the heck does Bobo even know about the kid? In the span of 4 years, he's amassed only as much game experience as Ryan did just last year. It's not like he has a long track record of success.

The WORST defense in the SEC absolutely shut Hill down last year. I don't know what people think we're getting here.

I imagine a world where we don't start crying about our team and coaches until after we lose a game. Just be patient little one, I'm sure it won't be long.

Ordinarily, I'd agree with you. I guess it upsets me that we've waited so long for college football and our coaches wave the white flag before the season even starts. I'd like to at least be tricked into thinking they are going to try to compete this year.

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter
Spot on. You are dead on that our coaches wouldn't have given Hill a nanosecond of thought were it not for Bobo coming here. We didn't want him out of high school and we wouldn't have wanted him as a grad transfer, save for Bobo coming here. And the only reason he transferred is b/c he knew he wouldn't get the starting gig at CSU...think about THAT...our starting QB couldn't hack it in the MWC.

What the heck does Bobo even know about the kid? In the span of 4 years, he's amassed only as much game experience as Ryan did just last year. It's not like he has a long track record of success.

The WORST defense in the SEC absolutely shut Hill down last year. I don't know what people think we're getting here.

Do you honestly believe everything you type??? Bobo had been recruiting Hill since HS @ Dorman, which meant when Bobo got the job offer to CSU, Hill went with him there. We didn't offer him because we had our qb in Brandon Mc.... Funny you bring up stats against the worst defense in the SEC (Arkansas)... how were RH3 stats last year? But... But... he was hurt right? He didn't have the skill position players to help him... How is that any different than Hill at CSU? It amazes me how a "fan" can come on here and cry about who starts at QB before they have taken a snap for us. Either get behind the team or go back and pull for Pickens Tech.

Do you honestly believe everything you type??? Bobo had been recruiting Hill since HS @ Dorman, which meant when Bobo got the job offer to CSU, Hill went with him there. We didn't offer him because we had our qb in Brandon Mc.... Funny you bring up stats against the worst defense in the SEC (Arkansas)... how were RH3 stats last year? But... But... he was hurt right? He didn't have the skill position players to help him... How is that any different than Hill at CSU? It amazes me how a "fan" can come on here and cry about who starts at QB before they have taken a snap for us. Either get behind the team or go back and pull for Pickens Tech.

Hilinski's stats vs the #5 defense in the country (Clemson) were roughly the same as Hill's stats against the 113th defense in the country. Hillinski against Clemson: 16/27 (59%), 105 yds, 0 TD, 1 Int. Hill against Arky: 13/23 (56%), 99 yards, 1 TD, 0 IN

Against the #2 D in the country (UGA), Hillinski went 15/20 (75%) for 1 TD and no picks.

Against the #23 D in the country (Bama) Hillinski went 36/57 (63%...yeah, the same 63% completion rate people are touting from Hill's 3 games last year against crappy competition) for 2 TDs and 1 Int.

The best comparison might be Vandy, since they were the 112th defense in the country. Against Vandy Hillinski went 24/31 (77%), 235 yds, 2 TD, 0 INT. Against Arkansas' 113th D, Hill went 13/23 (56%), 99 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT.

Did Hillinski have his freshman moments? Sure. But it says something that Hill as a grad transfer has stats no better than redshirt freshman.

You can wet your pants with excitement over Hill, but the numbers don't lie.

Hilinski's stats vs the #5 defense in the country (Clemson) were roughly the same as Hill's stats against the 113th defense in the country. Hillinski against Clemson: 16/27 (59%), 105 yds, 0 TD, 1 Int. Hill against Arky: 13/23 (56%), 99 yards, 1 TD, 0 IN

Against the #2 D in the country (UGA), Hillinski went 15/20 (75%) for 1 TD and no picks.

Against the #23 D in the country (Bama) Hillinski went 36/57 (63%...yeah, the same 63% completion rate people are touting from Hill's 3 games last year against crappy competition) for 2 TDs and 1 Int.

The best comparison might be Vandy, since they were the 112th defense in the country. Against Vandy Hillinski went 24/31 (77%), 235 yds, 2 TD, 0 INT. Against Arkansas' 113th D, Hill went 13/23 (56%), 99 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT.

Did Hillinski have his freshman moments? Sure. But it says something that Hill as a grad transfer has stats no better than redshirt freshman.

Since we are saying numbers don't lie.... The Bama/Clemson defenses... they played their 2/3/4 string players the most of the 3rd QT and the WHOLE 4th QT. One of RH3 TD against BAMA and how he was able to rack up stats were because of the last few drives and a last TD pass with 15 seconds left down 31pts against Bama (much like Bentley was able to do in blowout games years prior in loses). The Georgia game he had a great half, their is no denying it. Why only pick out those few games... because the rest of the stats don't fit your narrative. He was near the bottom of the SEC in all major statistical categories. (Don't mention that though right???)

Nobody will ever be able to convince you that Hill beat RH3 out for the starting job. If RH3 wins the job later in the first game or during the season, then I will pull for him to be successful, just like I wanted him to be successful last year. The difference between us, is that your hatred for Hill is bigger than being a fan which is sad. Support the guy who is earned the right to start/play. Again Pickens Tech is always accepting more "fans"

So, Hill certainly did not outperform Hillinski:

From Muschamp: "It was a very difficult decision. You look at our three scrimmages, which are the three benchmarks really in the evaluation. Ryan was the player of the day in the first one; Collin was in the second. Both of them played extremely well in the third. It was very difficult, a hard decision, but that's the decision that we made. As I've said before, we can win with both guys. We have great confidence in both guys and both guys know that."

Sorry, but I'd expect a more resounding endorsement of the starting QB than "that's the decision we made."

So they each won a scrimmage and were apparently tied in the 3rd. Sounds like it was a toss-up decision and Bobo got his boy in there. Hill, for all his touted knowledge of the system, in which he's been for the last 4 seasons, could only tie our sophomore who's had a few months with the system.

Yay. 🥳

You make it seem like those smaller conferences have never produced an NFL talent. Our back up QB couldn't hack it in the SEC last year. Why are you so animated about this? If it's the wrong decision (jury's still out) then that will bear out. Honestly I hope Muschamp and Bobo know what they're about. In today's climate, being an abject failure may lead to your house getting its own protest. But if it's the right decision, then great. If not, then we were already spiraling down, and it will be the death knell for Muschamp. Either way, there's no need to be so upset. This year is not a throw away year as some have stated. He won't get fired even if he earns it, but it will turn into a waiting game for affordability then. If this is the wrong decision, then Muschamp can't get out of here fast enough to suit me. I don't expect a gang busters season. But I do expect progress. If this gets us progress, you've twisted your panties up for nothing.

Reactions: gamecockblack
You make it seem like those smaller conferences have never produced an NFL talent. Our back up QB couldn't hack it in the SEC last year. Why are you so animated about this? If it's the wrong decision (jury's still out) then that will bear out. Honestly I hope Muschamp and Bobo know what they're about. In today's climate, being an abject failure may lead to your house getting its own protest. But if it's the right decision, then great. If not, then we were already spiraling down, and it will be the death knell for Muschamp. Either way, there's no need to be so upset. This year is not a throw away year as some have stated. He won't get fired even if he earns it, but it will turn into a waiting game for affordability then. If this is the wrong decision, then Muschamp can't get out of here fast enough to suit me. I don't expect a gang busters season. But I do expect progress. If this gets us progress, you've twisted your panties up for nothing.

Whoa, so Hill's an NFL talent now? That escalated quickly.

That aside, it's abundantly clear from Champ's comments that there was little, if any, separation between Ryan and Hill in the scrimmages. In that case, as another poster said the other day, Ryan's seniority should win out. Hill has NEVER faced anything like SEC speed or an SEC D-line.

We're hopping into the heat of the SEC right of the bat with a guy under center who has never played SEC-caliber talent and has only started 12 games over the past 4 years. Far from progress, this has disaster written all over it.

Just support Hill and the team. I'm sure that Hill's leash is shorter than arm's length. If he can't put points on the board, Ryan will go in. Why? Muschamp's Head Coaching career is on the line.

Whoa, so Hill's an NFL talent now? That escalated quickly.

That aside, it's abundantly clear from Champ's comments that there was little, if any, separation between Ryan and Hill in the scrimmages. In that case, as another poster said the other day, Ryan's seniority should win out. Hill has NEVER faced anything like SEC speed or an SEC D-line.

We're hopping into the heat of the SEC right of the bat with a guy under center who has never played SEC-caliber talent and has only started 12 games over the past 4 years. Far from progress, this has disaster written all over it.
Again, why does it have such a bee in your bonnet over it? You're getting bent out of shape over something that will inevitably either work its way out or not. Either way, frothing at the mouth as you post about it on here isn't going to fix it. If you can have any impact at all, it won't be by shrieking about how inept a QB you haven't seen play here is. He is a Gamecock and we can do more by supporting him than by gnashing our teeth because he isn't the guy we want there. To reiterate, the jury's still out on whether he's the best choice or not. I don't disagree with everything you say about it. I'm just a little more open minded about waiting until he proves it on the field one way or the other.

It’s no BFD. If Hill doesn’t hack it or gets injured, Hilinski will play.

Exactly, if he struggles then next guy up. If that means that RH3 comes in and plays, then everyone should be behind him just like MOST are behind Hill now. He is our starting QB... doesn't mean that it is a permanent lock on the job. Performance matters under the lights.

Some thoughts from the folks who saw him the last 4 years:

First thread:

This thread's a bit more positive in terms wishing Hill well: https://coloradostate.sportswar.com/mid/14195113/board/ramnationathletics/

General sentiment is "Good for Hill. Wish him well. Don't see it working out."

Do you realize how stupid you sound when comparing stats from last year. Do you think the talent that surrounded Ryan is the equivalent to CSU last year. And Vice versa for Hill, do you really think CSU talent surrounding the QB was the equivalent to USC? Because making this comparison you do.

Do you realize how stupid you sound when comparing stats from last year. Do you think the talent that surrounded Ryan is the equivalent to CSU last year. And Vice versa for Hill, do you really think CSU talent surrounding the QB was the equivalent to USC? Because making this comparison you do.

Against FCS team WIU last year, Hill put up a monster line.

Against Arky (worst defense in the league) he was terrible.

That's a Hill to Hill comparison. Same QB, same supporting talent.

Only variable was the opposing D.

Some thoughts from the folks who saw him the last 4 years:

First thread:

This thread's a bit more positive in terms wishing Hill well: https://coloradostate.sportswar.com/mid/14195113/board/ramnationathletics/

General sentiment is "Good for Hill. Wish him well. Don't see it working out."

One of those comments starts "Last chance to reach the NFL..." So someone thinks he has at least an outside shot at the NFL. That sounds pretty good to me. When's the last time we've had a QB drafted?

Against FCS team WIU last year, Hill put up a monster line.

Against Arky (worst defense in the league) he was terrible.

That's a Hill to Hill comparison. Same QB, same supporting talent.

Only variable was the opposing D.
So..it's irrelevant what he did last year surrounded by CSUs talent. He's surrounded by SEC talent now just like Ryan. He won the nod as the Starter. Quit crying both QBs are gonna play regardless who starts this season.

From Muschamp: "It was a very difficult decision. You look at our three scrimmages, which are the three benchmarks really in the evaluation. Ryan was the player of the day in the first one; Collin was in the second. Both of them played extremely well in the third. It was very difficult, a hard decision, but that's the decision that we made. As I've said before, we can win with both guys. We have great confidence in both guys and both guys know that."

I highlighted the part of this quote which stood out to me the most.
I'll believe it when I see it (and I doubt that will be this year).

Reactions: Cockpit Warrior

Wasn't that Arkansas?

Reactions: JComp
So..it's irrelevant what he did last year surrounded by CSUs talent. He's surrounded by SEC talent now just like Ryan. He won the nod as the Starter. Quit crying both QBs are gonna play regardless who starts this season.
He might have had more talent on the offensive side of the ball at CSU. Whether we have SEC talent is completely debatable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT